"I Hate Playing That Song"

TrickyBoy

• Members

Random Rant...

I've spent the morning learning random songs for no reason other than just to do it - Everything from "Your Song" by Elton John to "Here Comes The Sun" by The Beatles (I HATE both the Beatles and Elton John) to a bunch of stuff that I like.  And I've come to a conclusion:

I like playing EVERYTHING.  Don't get me wrong if the Beatles or Elton John come on the radio, I'm changing the station as quickly as possible.  But honestly, both songs are fun to play.  I guess that's why I have no issues playing Backstreet Boys and Spice Girls - Once you get over that you're playing Wannabe, there's really not a lot of difference playing that and Rock You Like a Hurricaine.

IDK, YMMV, but I don't get the attitude of "That song's no fun to play".  I can find (or make) something fun in every song we play.

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

TrickyBoy wrote:

Random Rant...

I've spent the morning learning random songs for no reason other than just to do it - Everything from "Your Song" by Elton John to "Here Comes The Sun" by The Beatles (I HATE both the Beatles and Elton John) to a bunch of stuff that I like.  And I've come to a conclusion:

I like playing EVERYTHING.  Don't get me wrong if the Beatles or Elton John come on the radio, I'm changing the station as quickly as possible.  But honestly, both songs are fun to play.  I guess that's why I have no issues playing Backstreet Boys and Spice Girls - Once you get over that you're playing Wannabe, there's really not a lot of difference playing that and Rock You Like a Hurricaine.

IDK, YMMV, but I don't get the attitude of "That song's no fun to play".  I can find (or make) something fun in every song we play.

I will play anything ,, I prolly played margarittaville 300 times one year ,, when we were doing 6 nights a week. 

• Members

TrickyBoy wrote:

Random Rant...

true for me too. Sure if most of the stuff we play comes on the radio I change it but after we put our little spin on some of these pop tunes. I enjoy OUR versions and I dig playing 'em.

• Members

StratGuy22 wrote:

For me the only song I legit roll my eyes about is Dreams by Stevie Nicks.

2 chords. A third in the bass solo.

I'd rather shave my head with a cheese grater, while chewing tin foil.

I like that one - but I'm a bass player so what do I know biggrin.gif .

• Members

"Dreams" is a song I'd probably rather listen to than play.  (Haven't played it in a band since probably 1978.)   Like a lot of FM/Lindsey Buckingham stuff, the appeal of the record for me is in the production, the arrangment and the sound.   The sparseness is what draws you in.

I've never heard a band (including Fleetwood Mac) who was able to recreate that atmosphere live.  And then it just becomes a 2-chord song without a lot of "there" there.  

I've always avoided trying to cover FM songs for this reason.   We do play 'Landslide" though.  Which brings up another topic (for maybe another forum).  The finger-picking pattern on that song is simple enough, but it's not my 'natural' style of picking so it's uncomfortable for me to play that song.

What do you acoustic guitarists do in such a case?  Change the pattern and make it more your own?  Learn it and master it?  Find another song?

• Members

I'm very much-so in the same boat. When I sit down to play a song on the drums, I'll always enjoy it. There's no song on the drums that, when played with a band. is so inherently easy that you can't find something to focus on and enjoy,

When I DON'T like playing a song, it's because of another value that normally has to go with one of a few factors:

I have trouble with a certain passage. MuthaGoose will recall my joy with playing "Unchained" by Van Halen. Per se you've got something to work on, which is great, but we all like feeling 100% on tunes.

My band mates. This is the big one to me. I've played songs where certain people can't hit the feel or have their own reasons as to why they don't like it, and that rubs off on the rest of the band.

The band in general: Here's a huge bucket that's basically "everything on this forum." Maybe I don't like playing it because the singer doesn't know the lyrics, or the guitarist always flubs a line, or the bass player uses this song to do four shots of Jagermeister. Maybe the song doesn't go over well, or it just doesn't fit the overall night... countless variables.

For me personally, though, I can always enjoy playing a tune, and I'm fortunate to be in bands where it's good cats, good players, and good fans, so it's pretty easy to have fun all night long!

• Members

StratGuy22 wrote:

For me the only song I legit roll my eyes about is Dreams by Stevie Nicks.

2 chords. A third in the bass solo.

I'd rather shave my head with a cheese grater, while chewing tin foil.

• Members

I don't think I've ever played in a band that played songs I really like. But, I don't really like played-out singles and songs I've heard on the radio 100s of times. It kinda blows my mind that so many still get excited about Sweet Home Alabama and Brown-eyed Girl, etc. And I like the Beatles but I don't own a Beatles album and I would never put them on during a long drive, same for the Stones.

But, if people like it I don't mind playing it. 

• Members

Tullsterx wrote:

It kinda blows my mind that so many still get excited about Sweet Home Alabama and Brown-eyed Girl, etc. 

Years ago they used to put stickers on albums declaring that "Music Is Your Best Entertainment Value!"   It's true because, for some reason it will probably take a psychologist to explain, we not only enjoy hearing the same music repeatedly, we actually often enjoy it MORE with repeated listenings.   In contrast, how often do you want to watch the same movie or read the same book over and over?  (my 5-year old watching "Tangled" notwithstanding...)

As cover band musicians, we all benefit from this phenomenon.  If people didn't like to hear stuff they know, we'd all be out of work.  The downside of this is that the eventual wear-out point for music is really, really high.   Apparently it takes well over 70 million listenings of Brown-Eyed Girl before people finally burn out on it.

Archived