Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• "I Hate Playing That Song"

Random Rant...

I've spent the morning learning random songs for no reason other than just to do it - Everything from "Your Song" by Elton John to "Here Comes The Sun" by The Beatles (I HATE both the Beatles and Elton John) to a bunch of stuff that I like.  And I've come to a conclusion:

I like playing EVERYTHING.  Don't get me wrong if the Beatles or Elton John come on the radio, I'm changing the station as quickly as possible.  But honestly, both songs are fun to play.  I guess that's why I have no issues playing Backstreet Boys and Spice Girls - Once you get over that you're playing Wannabe, there's really not a lot of difference playing that and Rock You Like a Hurricaine.

IDK, YMMV, but I don't get the attitude of "That song's no fun to play".  I can find (or make) something fun in every song we play.

Jason
    My band: http://www.facebook.com/thetrickydickies

"Do or do not. There is no try" - Yoda

TrickyBoy wrote:

Random Rant...

I've spent the morning learning random songs for no reason other than just to do it - Everything from "Your Song" by Elton John to "Here Comes The Sun" by The Beatles (I HATE both the Beatles and Elton John) to a bunch of stuff that I like.  And I've come to a conclusion:

I like playing EVERYTHING.  Don't get me wrong if the Beatles or Elton John come on the radio, I'm changing the station as quickly as possible.  But honestly, both songs are fun to play.  I guess that's why I have no issues playing Backstreet Boys and Spice Girls - Once you get over that you're playing Wannabe, there's really not a lot of difference playing that and Rock You Like a Hurricaine.

IDK, YMMV, but I don't get the attitude of "That song's no fun to play".  I can find (or make) something fun in every song we play.

I will play anything ,, I prolly played margarittaville 300 times one year ,, when we were doing 6 nights a week. 

<div class="signaturecontainer">&quot;you mess with him and you mess with the whole trailer park&quot;</div><br>

Comment

TrickyBoy wrote:

Random Rant...

true for me too. Sure if most of the stuff we play comes on the radio I change it but after we put our little spin on some of these pop tunes. I enjoy OUR versions and I dig playing 'em.

www.ostrichhat.com

Comment

• joshmac
        joshmac commented
        Editing a comment

I am a musical Hoor. Does not matter what it is, I will play it

Ehmm....how can you not like the Beatles?

For the rest I get your point. As long as the crowd digs the song I'm fine with it. There was a time when we only played songs we really liked but the audience liked us a lot less than now.

Comment

• tlbonehead
        tlbonehead commented
        Editing a comment

there's tons of stuff I don't mind playing but don't listen to otherwise.

• guido61
        guido61 commented
        Editing a comment

When I'm playing, I'm listening to our performance and my enjoyment is based on how well we perform it and how well the audience responds to it.

Which is completely different as to why I may or may not enjoy listening to the same song played by somebody else on the radio.

was HERE COMES THE SUN Beatles or just George?

<div class="signaturecontainer"><a href="mailto:tlbonehead@yahoo.com">tlbonehead@yaho o.com</a><br />
      <a href="http://www.myspace.com/tbone_tommy" target="_blank">www.myspace.com/tbone_tommy</a><br />
      -For Sale: <br />
      -set of GFS Dream 90s- gold and black pearl- $40 shipped in the cont. US<br />
      -(2) Celestion G12M-70 16 ohm guitar speakers in good condition $40 ea. + shipping.<br />
      - Vox VT15 Valvetronix very clean - $85 + shipping<br />
      - Hughes Kettner Edition Tube 20 (the early Voxy sounding one) Sounds &amp; looks good. $250 + shipping. <b>SOLD</b><br />
      - Crate Palomino V8 - 10&quot; Celestion - Very clean - on Ebay (sold)</div>

Comment

• guido61
        guido61 commented
        Editing a comment

tlbonehead wrote:

was HERE COMES THE SUN Beatles or just George?

Paul played bass and sings on HCTS.  Ringo played drums.   John was absent from those sessions due to a traffic accident that put him in the hospital.

For me the only song I legit roll my eyes about is Dreams by Stevie Nicks.

2 chords. A third in the bass solo.

I'd rather shave my head with a cheese grater, while chewing tin foil.
      NO SIGNATURE FOR YOU!!

Comment

• RoadRanger
        RoadRanger commented
        Editing a comment

StratGuy22 wrote:

I like that one - but I'm a bass player so what do I know  .

• Potts
        Potts commented
        Editing a comment

StratGuy22 wrote:

TrickyBoy wrote:

"We Have Met the Enemy and He is Us" - Walt Kelly​

Comment

• guido61
        guido61 commented
        Editing a comment

"Dreams" is a song I'd probably rather listen to than play.  (Haven't played it in a band since probably 1978.)   Like a lot of FM/Lindsey Buckingham stuff, the appeal of the record for me is in the production, the arrangment and the sound.   The sparseness is what draws you in.

I've never heard a band (including Fleetwood Mac) who was able to recreate that atmosphere live.  And then it just becomes a 2-chord song without a lot of "there" there.  

I've always avoided trying to cover FM songs for this reason.   We do play 'Landslide" though.  Which brings up another topic (for maybe another forum).  The finger-picking pattern on that song is simple enough, but it's not my 'natural' style of picking so it's uncomfortable for me to play that song.

What do you acoustic guitarists do in such a case?  Change the pattern and make it more your own?  Learn it and master it?  Find another song?

I will play anything, but the songs that were necessities in the late 60s and still being played, are tired and should be retired to request only. (And I like discouraging requests by not having dead time.)

Comment

• FitchFY
        FitchFY commented
        Editing a comment

I'm very much-so in the same boat. When I sit down to play a song on the drums, I'll always enjoy it. There's no song on the drums that, when played with a band. is so inherently easy that you can't find something to focus on and enjoy,

When I DON'T like playing a song, it's because of another value that normally has to go with one of a few factors:

I have trouble with a certain passage. MuthaGoose will recall my joy with playing "Unchained" by Van Halen. Per se you've got something to work on, which is great, but we all like feeling 100% on tunes.

My band mates. This is the big one to me. I've played songs where certain people can't hit the feel or have their own reasons as to why they don't like it, and that rubs off on the rest of the band.

The band in general: Here's a huge bucket that's basically "everything on this forum." Maybe I don't like playing it because the singer doesn't know the lyrics, or the guitarist always flubs a line, or the bass player uses this song to do four shots of Jagermeister. Maybe the song doesn't go over well, or it just doesn't fit the overall night... countless variables.

For me personally, though, I can always enjoy playing a tune, and I'm fortunate to be in bands where it's good cats, good players, and good fans, so it's pretty easy to have fun all night long!

Faul

NO SIGNATURE FOR YOU!!

Comment

Way to go, Potts. Very effective use of the harmonizer and looper -- seamless to the point I would have thought there was a second man on stage if I had my eyes shut. I like.
        <div class="signaturecontainer">--<br><br>Hammond: BC, M3, Split L111, L122 / Leslie: 51, 760 / Yamaha: DGX-620, PF-85<br><br>Follow my new band, <a href="http://DrBombay.ca/connect.html" target="_blank">Dr. Bombay</a>! We're going to be organasmic!</div>

Comment

• RoadRanger
          RoadRanger commented
          Editing a comment

Potts, good demonstration that it ain't the song that sucks  .

I don't think I've ever played in a band that played songs I really like. But, I don't really like played-out singles and songs I've heard on the radio 100s of times. It kinda blows my mind that so many still get excited about Sweet Home Alabama and Brown-eyed Girl, etc. And I like the Beatles but I don't own a Beatles album and I would never put them on during a long drive, same for the Stones.

But, if people like it I don't mind playing it. 

<div class="signaturecontainer">Check my band:<br>SoulPlay<br><a target="_blank" href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8TH9-e4FmaE">SoulPlay Promotional Video</a><br><a target="_blank" href="http://www.soulplayband.com">SoulPlay Web-site</a><br><br>Key Rig: Alesis Fusion 8HD; Alesis Vortex Keytar; Toshiba i7 laptop running Cantabile VST host with IK Multimedia Total Workstation Bundle, NI Vintage Organs, Tyrell N6, Sylenth1, Imperfect Samples Walnut Concert Grand; Tascam US-1641 USB MIDI/Audio Interface.</div>

Comment

• guido61
          guido61 commented
          Editing a comment

Tullsterx wrote:
           It kinda blows my mind that so many still get excited about Sweet Home Alabama and Brown-eyed Girl, etc. 

Years ago they used to put stickers on albums declaring that "Music Is Your Best Entertainment Value!"   It's true because, for some reason it will probably take a psychologist to explain, we not only enjoy hearing the same music repeatedly, we actually often enjoy it MORE with repeated listenings.   In contrast, how often do you want to watch the same movie or read the same book over and over?  (my 5-year old watching "Tangled" notwithstanding...)

As cover band musicians, we all benefit from this phenomenon.  If people didn't like to hear stuff they know, we'd all be out of work.  The downside of this is that the eventual wear-out point for music is really, really high.   Apparently it takes well over 70 million listenings of Brown-Eyed Girl before people finally burn out on it.

That's a great interpretation of Dreams!!

I think just in a band D to C to D to C.

Other bad ones for me:

Sanctuary: I drone on D for most of the song, still a fun song to be a part of

LaGrange: playing rhythm. Kill me now.

Lol
        NO SIGNATURE FOR YOU!!

Comment

• Potts
          Potts commented
          Editing a comment

Thanks for the compliments guys... Yeah I'm not sure how that tube would go over in a band.

• wesg
          wesg commented
          Editing a comment
          I play rhythm on La Grange ... on Hammond. It's actually kind of fun, if a bit repetetetive.

Anyone who can play any song, any time and play it well is a true pro.  I am not a true pro, but I have a lot respect for you all.  Keep the people dancing.

Comment

• nousername
          nousername commented
          Editing a comment

A small portion of our setlist are songs I don't listen to, but will gladly play.

I do like the song sanctuary and how I fit into it. It really plays off that drone. La Grange, I'll play off the bass player & drummer & still enjoy it. I like the stops in it, the shots.

Dreams. Well, I do my best. Ya can't win em all.

NO SIGNATURE FOR YOU!!

Comment

I have always been a groove player. For me, the concept of a player in the band not getting a simple groove song, I totally get that. But...

... I can change their mind with the way I play it. When simple, repetitive patterns have an inner world of accents and ghost notes, you can get a groove. But YOU'VE got to create that bounce or grind or fire. When I decide, with my bass, to really lay in to those accents and ghosts notes, the drummer will fall in with my bass while he's wearing a big smile. Rhythm SECTION.

Now the guitarist and keyboardist realize how silly they sound kind of drifting around in a mist of pointless rhythm. So they lock into one of those accents, so they complement one of those ghost notes.

So they become part of the groove.

The singer feels this. The singer digs in and delivers. A boring song is now kicking ass.

___

Comment

• guido61
            guido61 commented
            Editing a comment

Lee Knight wrote:
            I have always been a groove player. For me, the concept of a player in the band not getting a simple groove song, I totally get that. But...

... I can change their mind with the way I play it. When simple, repetitive patterns have an inner world of accents and ghost notes, you can get a groove. But YOU'VE got to great that bounce or grind or fire. When I decide, with my bass, to really lay in to those accents and ghosts notes, the drummer will fall in with my bass while he's wearing a big smile. Rhythm SECTION.

Now the guitarist and keyboardist realize how silly they sound kind of drifting around in a mist of pointless rhythm. So they lock into one of those accents, so they complement one of those ghost notes.

The singer feels this. The singer digs in and delivers. A boring song is now kicking ass.

Songs and performances are what you make them.  And locking in and rocking simple grooves and chord patterns is often a bigger challenge than doing the same with a more complex song. 

• SeniorBlues
            SeniorBlues commented
            Editing a comment

Lee Knight wrote:

... I can change their mind with the way I play it. When simple, repetitive patterns have an inner world of accents and ghost notes, you can get a groove. But YOU'VE got to create that bounce or grind or fire. When I decide, with my bass, to really lay in to those accents and ghosts notes, the drummer will fall in with my bass while he's wearing a big smile. Rhythm SECTION.

I want to believe that your approach works.  Sadly, too many bands I've played with just don't interpret what you're playing the way you'd like.  I did a sub gig a while back where the rest of the band genuinely appreciaited what I was trying to do and had the chops and musical frame of reference to follow along, but I've been in too many other situations where the rest of the guys just didn't understand the rhythms I was trying to convey.

To deal with the broader question, don't settle for less than playing with a group of players that have a broad enough frame of reference that will allow them to understand what someone is trying to do rhythmically.  I had it in the last band, and I wish the gigs had been there to sustain it.

Working...
        X