Yep...

mstreck

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Except that doesn't work either. That demo isn't buying albums either. How many new releases (by either old or new artists) did YOU buy last year? A couple of years ago Grace Potter got a ton of hype for sounding like a 70s throwback and all the middle aged music fans talked about how great she was and reminded them of classic Heart but they didn't buy her album or go to her concerts. And Heart's new album didn't sell either.

So what DOES that demo want? I think they want it to be 1976 again and they are 18 again and Heart releases "Little Queen" again (or whatever their favorite classic year/band/album might be) but I don't think even the all-powerful record companies can make that happen.

• Members

guido61 wrote:

Except that doesn't work either. That demo isn't buying albums either. How many new releases (by either old or new artists) did YOU buy last year? A couple of years ago Grace Potter got a ton of hype for sounding like a 70s throwback and all the middle aged music fans talked about how great she was and reminded them of classic Heart but they didn't buy her album or go to her concerts. And Heart's new album didn't sell either.

So what DOES that demo want? I think they want it to be 1976 again and they are 18 again and Heart releases "Little Queen" again (or whatever their favorite classic year/band/album might be) but I don't think even the all-powerful record companies can make that happen.

Yeah, I forgot to turn on the sarcasm highlighter when I typed that lol.  There's no hope for the old model.  The new model is still evolving, and the future is uncertain.  I'm not terribly invested in recorded music as a seller or a buyer anymore.  I'm pretty sure that our ecosystems ability to support life is measured by years, so it's more likely to "evolve" faster than the music business.  Have fun while you can!

Archived