Durable mic stands?

roamingbard13

• Members

If you look around on eBay or ask at your local music store, you can usually find those On Stage stands in a case price situation.  My band got 12 of them in the shipping box for like $250.  They aren't the best stands in the world, but I'd rather pay less for something that's essentially a consumable.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Members

wesg wrote:

Atlas makes some beefy durable stands too.

I had a couple old chrome atlast straight stands that I like.  the ones with the cast iron base.  I bought an atlas boom from sweetwater with a 4 lb counterweight.  I like it because it looks unique compared to all the black ones that people use now.  I use a shure 55sh and the counterweight helps.  The cast iron base is admittedly not as stable as the tripod bases, particularly if you lose one or more of the rubber feet.  I slid a 5# weight over the stand and that makes it stable. 

That said, I got tired of dragging 20 pounds of mic stand around and started using a really cheapo black tripod stand that I had in the garage.  it came free with a mic I bought once.  The bummer is that you have to really tighten the crap out of it so the boom doesn't sag under the weight of the 55. 

The atlas stuff is quality and I like it.  But it's heavy and unstable.

• Members

We were opening for Katatonia, Orphaned Land, and Swallow the Sun (damn that was an amazing metal bill) and as our intro tape ended I broke the boom adjustment lever clean off. That was probably my biggest "oh ****" moment onstage. Tama makes great stands as well. I just have Onstage stands with crappy floppy legs that fall and hook on things and booms that just slide out and clutches that don't hold, so this thread is relevant to my interests.

• Members

I have a Sampson tripod stand with the twist-clutch. It sucks, but it's light. I move the mic quite a bit when I perform, and if the clutch is too loose, the stand will fall. Not good. But if you do it up tight enough to get through a performance... you can't undo it without super-human effort.

I have an Ultra stand (KMC) with a heavy base; the construction is heavier and I can get it a little bit closer to myself. It has one of those grabber clutches. 1000x times better. No idea how long it will last, but they're what one of the local rental companies use. They seem well-built.

Wes

Archived