Facebook Tips and Tricks?

SLScott86

• Members

I posted basically this same thing in the Reverb Nation thread.

What kind of luck are you guys having with Facebook these days? From the conversations I've had with folks, people just aren't seeing or registering posts about gigs and shows. If I don't contact people directly offline, I assume that they don't know about the show. That isn't how it used to be. Have you guys noticed the same thing since the company decided to use us for revenue?

I've noticed that we get more views when we post plain text. Other than that... what's working for you guys?

• Members

SLScott86 wrote:

I posted basically this same thing in the Reverb Nation thread.

What kind of luck are you guys having with Facebook these days? From the conversations I've had with folks, people just aren't seeing or registering posts about gigs and shows. If I don't contact people directly offline, I assume that they don't know about the show. That isn't how it used to be. Have you guys noticed the same thing since the company decided to use us for revenue?

I've noticed that we get more views when we post plain text. Other than that... what's working for you guys?

I would say that Facebook isn't the marketing and networking boon it used to be... but that has more to do with everyone marketing each other to death rather than people not participating. So many bands, competing events, games, app invites, bitstrip abuse that people tend to tune out the announcements and events on FB. We have 5,000 friends (we hit the ceiling a year ago) and a Group with another 2100 to overlap. We create full events each week and that's the general way we get word out (in addition to semi daily updates). Still events are never a gaurantee of participation and there have been many people at our shows who are not part of our group or in our friends lists. Bands certainly need to be creative these days to get butts through the door.  

• Members

I would have jumped all over this thread two years ago, but now I'm having doubts about facebook. Since they started limiting views and regulating who will see what, it hasn't really been as effective for us. We do a lot of communication with venues via FB messages, so that's a positive. It's also a great place to store pics and videos for promo purposes, but I no longer see it as a great marketing tool.

On a related note, we gained 13 new "fans" yesterday. I looked at the profiles and they are all spread throughout the US. NONE of them are from our area and we have no mutual friends. Really? How does that happen? I think they're just fake accounts getting ready to start spreading spam.

• Members

The problem with facebook as a marketing tool is getting the timing right to deal with the relative invisibility of certain posts.  I find that if I don't post on facebook, a lot of people just don't see it.  And, creating an "event" does provide an easy way for people who are interested to forward it on to others.

The problem is that people really only see the announcement once, when you send it out, and even then, only if they have their account set up to alert them to event invites.  And I find those alerts aren't very useful, from the point of view of an invitee.  I get a note from facebook saying that I've been invited to an event, but I usually have to log into facebook to get any useful details.

What does seem to get a lot of attention are pictures.  So posting a picture plus a note about how you are going to be playing at a particular place/time will often get more views and attention than just the "event."

Bottom line, facebook is all well and good, but you need to have a website of your own where people can look up information.

• Members

Pictures are definitely where it's at. When I get invited to an event these days I don't even look at it because everybody is making events, it is pretty much spam to me. My advice is to take an image and use an app to super impose text on it with details...basically a digital flyer. Photoshop is an obvious program to use but Google Drive has a Decent Art program that will get the job done. Then the key is to Tag all the band members, the venue, the bartenders if they are on your friends list, also tag a handful of your die hard fans that live within radius of the gig. I don't know why but tagging seems to exponentially increase how many people see the post. My band page has around 600 fans. Before I started tagging my posts would get 100-200 views. The last few I have done using the strategy above have gotten over 1100 views each!

Also, I agree that if you are after the 21 year olds FB is pretty much useless. Seems like Twitter, Vine, and Instagram are the way to go.

• Members

No events or announcements...Just a graphic. It's all about graphics in any type of marketing. Otherwise you'd only see print advertisments. People can't help it- it's a normal reaction. The eye HAS to stop on a graphic. I put one up for the week's gigs, I put one up the day before and I put one up the day of...

Scooters.jpg

The Grill2.jpg

Mooneys.jpg

• Members

StratGuy22 wrote:

I believe next Halloween & NYE we are playing a local bar so I'll be I FB inviting friends etc. but not from our actual band page.

I will post a pic or something from the band FB page on my personal page once in awhile so I can do what Facebook does best:  gives me a cheap reason to encourage people I haven't seen in 30 years (usually for good reason) to say "oh!  great to see you're still playing!  You look great!"

Archived