Musician shot and killed by bar owner... bar featured the next night on Bar Rescue.

Blackbird 13

• Members

I hadn't seen this posted yet, so I thought I'd mention it. I saw some posts on this originally just an hour or two after it happened, from friends of mine in Nashville that were also close friends of the deceased. 

Details are still a bit vague.. but it seems that this musician was smoking in a non-smoking area (well after the bar was closed), and this somehow escalated to an incident where the club owner shot the musician in the back of the head "out of self defense".

Bar Rescue, for it's part, pulled the episode that was set to air where they were to rescue this guy's bar.. but they forgot to pull the replay.. so the episode aired around midnight or 1 AM EST. I watched it.. it painted the guy as a stereotypical shady version of a club owner.. but the guy had a terrible temper, and even his own mother said he'd become "mean". Creepy, knowing what we know now..

http://www.savingcountrymusic.com/wayne-mills-of-the-wayne-mills-band-shot-critically

RIP to Wayne Mills... and man, it's something to make you stop and think, because I know I've had times where I've been in a heated arguement with a club owner over things way more important than a cigarette. 

• Replies 133
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

guido61 wrote:

Niiiiiice.....

But of course it was in self defense.  That's why he bought the gun in the first place, right?

This is right up there with the recent story of the guy killed by the band in Thailand for not getting off the stage.   

To be fair, I've given some thought to purchasing a small handgun to strap around my waist at load out... figuring it will deter would be thieves at some of the sketchier places, and would give me a fighting chance if I were to be attacked, by myself, early in the AM.

I would never even think of needing to carry a weapon during a meeting with a venue owner, though.. it's nuts.

• Members

Blackbird 13 wrote:

I hadn't seen this posted yet, so I thought I'd mention it. I saw some posts on this originally just an hour or two after it happened, from friends of mine in Nashville that were also close friends of the deceased. 

Details are still a bit vague.. but it seems that this musician was smoking in a non-smoking area (well after the bar was closed), and this somehow escalated to an incident where the club owner shot the musician in the back of the head "out of self defense".

Bar Rescue, for it's part, pulled the episode that was set to air where they were to rescue this guy's bar.. but they forgot to pull the replay.. so the episode aired around midnight or 1 AM EST. I watched it.. it painted the guy as a stereotypical shady version of a club owner.. but the guy had a terrible temper, and even his own mother said he'd become "mean". Creepy, knowing what we know now..

RIP to Wayne Mills... and man, it's something to make you stop and think, because I know I've had times where I've been in a heated arguement with a club owner over things way more important than a cigarette. 

We don't know the details yet but we know Wayne didn't carry a gun, ever. My entire circle of friends and musicians knew and revered Wayne. I only met him a couple of times. I can't speculate on what happened and neither should anyone else here. I'm sure it will all come out in due time. It's a HUGE loss to the Nashville community, not to mention Wayne's family. 

BTW, the vast majority of musicains I know around town are packing full time when playing broadway or anywhere else. Hell, loading out after the gig Friday night 3 of us were checking each other's weapons out! This is the south:) However, you can't drink by law in TN if you are carrying. That Said, Wayne did not carry a gun and although he was big he was universally NOT known to be confrontational or violent. This is a huge bummer and regarless of fault this guy from the BBQ place is DONE in this town. 

• Members

sventvkg wrote:

Blackbird 13 wrote:

We don't know the details yet but we know Wayne didn't carry a gun, ever. My entire circle of friends and musicians knew and revered Wayne. I only met him a couple of times. I can't speculate on what happened and neither should anyone else here. I'm sure it will all come out in due time. It's a HUGE loss to the Nashville community, not to mention Wayne's family. 

That is the proper way to look at this.  No one knows what went down.  Its for the police and their investigation to determine if charges will be filed.

• Members

I'll take my chances that folks will respect me, rather than a gun, enough to not steal my stuff. It's a deterrent only to a degree. You can carry the gun, but can you actually shoot guys who try to run off with your stuff? And even if you could, would you want to? I say no thanks. I'm not gonna fight the guy over it. It's stuff, and it's replaceable (and insured).

• Members

SLScott86 wrote:

I'll take my chances that folks will respect me, rather than a gun, enough to not steal my stuff. It's a deterrent only to a degree. You can carry the gun, but can you actually shoot guys who try to run off with your stuff? And even if you could, would you want to? I say no thanks. I'm not gonna fight the guy over it. It's stuff, and it's replaceable (and insured).

The problem isnt really someone taking your gear.   Its the thugs that make the decision to not leave any witness to the crime alive that can identify them.   In many parts of the country this line of thought is common due to lots of prior convictions.  They dont respect you and they dont respect themselves. Look at this knock out game.  Sucker punching total strangers for fun.   I dont worry about things like that down here in the valley because its bascially hispanic culture and even if you run across the baddest of the bad , crime typically is about the drug wars and that violence is targeted not random.  When i was in michigan much of it was random with no real motive and its easy to just be at the wrong place at the right time with a sector of society that has no basis in logic or reality.  I dont carry a gun down here.  I did when I lived in michigan a good deal of the time. 

• Members

I just don't see it happening. Risk/reward. If I'm stealing something and the owner comes out and sees me, I'm putting it down and running away. At a venue there will be plenty of witnesses outside smoking. If it's light enough, maybe I grab something small and run with it. Kill the witnesses? And then what do you do with the stuff? Pawn it off, with the serial number that the police should be looking for? Murder to cover your petty theft tracks seems pretty unlikely. More unlikely than my clumsy ass hurting myself with a gun I carry.

• Members

SLScott86 wrote:

I just don't see it happening. Risk/reward. If I'm stealing something and the owner comes out and sees me, I'm putting it down and running away. At a venue there will be plenty of witnesses outside smoking. If it's light enough, maybe I grab something small and run with it. Kill the witnesses? And then what do you do with the stuff? Pawn it off, with the serial number that the police should be looking for? Murder to cover your petty theft tracks seems pretty unlikely. More unlikely than my clumsy ass hurting myself with a gun I carry.

I dont see it happening where you live either.  Heck people can leave their doors unlocked and their keys in the car where you live.   My wife is from your area , so I know the place well.   I could see it in lansing though , or flint , or jackson , or detroit , or battle creek , or jackson, or benton harbor, and even in parts of kalamazoo.  I know  guy in kalamzoo who as walking down the street in not a bad part of town not far from WMU where a guy tired to bum a cig ,, and he said no ,, the guy stuck a gun in his face and pulled the trigger ,, he missed and shot a hole in the bill of his ball hat... with the muzzle blast knocking him to the ground.  He came pretty close to being killed that night.  An old couple got murdered in portage during a robbery at their home that was on a secluded location on one of the many lakes in that area ,, and both were killed.  There was no reason to kill them.  the decision to arm yourself is one only you can make.  I dont see it being an issue in your german catholic commuity, but not everyplace in the state is like your little town.  fair enough? 

• Members

SLScott86 wrote:

I just don't see it happening. Risk/reward. If I'm stealing something and the owner comes out and sees me, I'm putting it down and running away. At a venue there will be plenty of witnesses outside smoking. If it's light enough, maybe I grab something small and run with it. Kill the witnesses? And then what do you do with the stuff? Pawn it off, with the serial number that the police should be looking for?
Murder to cover your petty theft tracks
seems pretty unlikely. More unlikely than my clumsy ass hurting myself with a gun I carry.

Some people watch way too many movies.

• Members

Don't be fooled, plenty of people in our communities see it as an issue. We love our gun rights. Two road ragers shot each other in a parking lot in Ionia a couple months back. And my college days were in cheap apartments in the sketchier parts of town. One venue we played at multiple times got shut down after a shooting in the parking lot. I still think though that playing the percentages- if two guns are drawn I've got a fifty fifty shot at best. On the other hand, if I'm cooperative, I think I'm closer to 95%. There's a reason bank tellers are told to cooperate.

• Members

SLScott86 wrote:

I know right?? He's talking about people killing you at your gig so they can steal your guitar. That happens a lot.

• Members

Blackbird 13 wrote:

maybe, but are you typically that disrespectful? Not that someone deserved to die but I'd be pissed as a club owner/manager too. And it seems that everyone has painted the bar owner as guilty even though very little is actually known. Also, out of the thousands of gigs I've done I can't say I've ever gotten into a major over-the-top heated argument either.

• Members

tlbonehead wrote:

Blackbird 13 wrote:

maybe, but are you typically that disrespectful? Not that someone deserved to die but I'd be pissed as a club owner/manager too. And it seems that everyone has painted the bar owner as guilty even though very little is actually known. Also, out of the thousands of gigs I've done I can't say I've ever gotten into a major over-the-top heated argument either.

I haven't ever intentionally done things to piss off a venue owner.. but as I understand it, this guy's club had just recently become non-smoking, Wayne may not have even known it before the argument started.

I have gotten into a major, heated, almost coming to blows arguement with two club owners over the years.. both times over being withheld money that I'd rightfully earned. I don't like being taken advantage of, and I'm also of the school of thought that if no one stands up to a bully, they'll just continue being a bully. One time I got paid in the full, the other time, he threw an extra $100 at me (bringing me to 300 of our agreed 400) and stormed off.

There's not a whole lot I get angry about.. but lying to my face is a quick way to get on my bad side. I'm honest and truthful with you, and I expect the same respect in return, y'know?

• Members

SLScott86 wrote:

So long, thread. We hardly knew ye!

True ,,, when you have the anti gun people jump in it tends to change the topic to politics.  fact is we have no idea what happened in that bar between those two guys ,, and the fact that one got shot twice in the head doesnt mean a whole lot.   If he got attacked he had a right to protect himself.  I am sure he feels really bad about shooting his friend.  The guy was big enough to put his life in danger , so its a wait and see what the facts are sort of thing.  Most personal defense shootings happen at very close range and the gun owner typically has to put the gun against the guy and pull the trigger a couple times.   RIP>

• Members

StratGuy22 wrote:

Soooo the reason he was shot, was because of Obama??

Not sure how you came up with that.  dave is scared of stupid people with guns and I said i was more concerned about stupid people who vote.   We will find out why he was shot when the investigation is done.  The question is ,, is it murder or self defense. 

• Members

I can't dream up a scenario in a crowded place where I would feel that my life was in danger at the hands of an unarmed assailant. It's his right to have a gun, as it should be. It may legally have been his right to shoot him in the head. But man... can and should are two different things.

• Members

StratGuy22 wrote:

America loves their guns. Guns don't kill people. People with guns kill people. Right or wrong, that's the price of having guns unfortunately.

And if you outlaw guns only the outlaws will have them. Well eventually anyway IF you outlawed them, could always machine one too.

• Members

Please stop sidetracking this thread into a gun debate..it's pointless. It's a frigging tool. An efficient one at that..used 2million times a year for self defense as well as thousands of times for evil purposes. It will save a 100 lb college girl from being raped by a 250lb linebacker. It's a VERY useful force multiplier on the individual level. But it's just in inanimate object. The intelligent being that wields it bears any responsibility relating to its use. Just as we do with anything.

Anyway, there are a lot of evil people and crazies out there. I've seen and dealt with a few in my day. Its a shame when something tragic like this happens do to choices people make and actions they take. God forbid anything like this happens to anyone we know and love. Happy Thanksgiving everyone.

Archived