New venue - worst performance in a very long time - and they want us back...

mstreck

• Members

We've been using our studiolive to record every show since we got it. I usually go through the recordings to listen for potential demo material and usually find *something* that makes me say "hey, that sounded pretty good". But this past Friday - ughhhhhhhhhh... there isn't a single song from the night's recording that doesn't make me cringe. I had about 6 co-workers there since it's close to where I work, and was hoping that we'd kick ass for their sake, but nothing really felt "right" during the entire night. I didn't realize how bad the performance was until I was able to listen to everything in context. Ouch! It was definitely our worst show in recent memory. I'm sure that I could come up with a million excuses/reasons as to why we had so many problems getting it together, but the reality is that it was not a good show (musically, at least). Compared to last week's recordings, it's like we were an entirely different band.

But, for some unknown reason, the crowd loved us and the venue loved us. I don't get it - we sucked. I mean really sucked - I probably would have walked out if I was a patron - yet they loved us. I'm not going to complain - bottom line is that we've got a new room going into 2014 with an easy load-in, an owner that is willing to pay, and a super-friendly (but small) built in crowd that wants us back. I wonder how they'll react when they get our best instead of our worst. :)

• Members

mstreck wrote:

We've been using our studiolive to record every show since we got it. I usually go through the recordings to listen for potential demo material and usually find *something* that makes me say "hey, that sounded pretty good". 
But this past Friday - ughhhhhhhhhh... there isn't a single song from the night's recording that doesn't make me cringe. I had about 6 co-workers there since it's close to where I work, and was hoping that we'd kick ass for their sake, but nothing really felt "right" during the entire night. I didn't realize how bad the performance was until I was able to listen to everything in context. Ouch! It was definitely our worst show in recent memory. I'm sure that I could come up with a million excuses/reasons as to why we had so many problems getting it together, but the reality is that it was not a good show (musically, at least). Compared to last week's recordings, it's like we were an entirely different band.

But, for some unknown reason,
the crowd loved us and the venue loved us
. I don't get it - we sucked. I mean really sucked - I probably would have walked out if I was a patron - yet they loved us. I'm not going to complain - bottom line is that we've got a new room going into 2014 with an easy load-in, an owner that is willing to pay, and a super-friendly (but small) built in crowd that wants us back. I wonder how they'll react when they get our best instead of our worst.
:)

You need to isolate the problem and do what it takes to fix it.  While that sounds very symplistic it most likley  is  the path you need to take.  Since you know that you can sound better , what was it that was thowing a wrench into the mix.  I would guess that its something pretty simple.

• Members

TIMKEYS wrote:

You need to isolate the problem and do what it takes to fix it.  While that sounds very symplistic it most likley  is  the path you need to take.  Since you know that you can sound better , what was it that was thowing a wrench into the mix.  I would guess that its something pretty simple.

While I understand Tim's recommendation - my suggestion would be to NOT get too excited about it.  Unless there was something very specific that was at the root of your **** night that can be addressed by a specific "fix" - your best to simply let it go.  Musical performance is alot like an athletic performance.  Even the best athletes have days where it just ain't happening.   No matter how hard you wish it ... you can't be ON every gig.  Even the best pros have off nights.  Pros are simply pretty good at hiding their "off-ness" and not having a total meltdown.   From the your account of the crowd and venue response - you guys did fine in getting through the night.  Do what you can to ensure you don't suck when you return - but don't beat yourself up over an off night.  It's counterproductive in the long run.

• Members

mstreck wrote:

We've been using our studiolive to record every show since we got it. I usually go through the recordings to listen for potential demo material and usually find *something* that makes me say "hey, that sounded pretty good". 
But this past Friday - ughhhhhhhhhh... there isn't a single song from the night's recording that doesn't make me cringe. I had about 6 co-workers there since it's close to where I work, and was hoping that we'd kick ass for their sake, but nothing really felt "right" during the entire night. I didn't realize how bad the performance was until I was able to listen to everything in context. Ouch! It was definitely our worst show in recent memory. I'm sure that I could come up with a million excuses/reasons as to why we had so many problems getting it together, but the reality is that it was not a good show (musically, at least). Compared to last week's recordings, it's like we were an entirely different band.

. I don't get it - we sucked. I mean really sucked - I probably would have walked out if I was a patron - yet they loved us. I'm not going to complain - bottom line is that we've got a new room going into 2014 with an easy load-in, an owner that is willing to pay, and a super-friendly (but small) built in crowd that wants us back. I wonder how they'll react when they get our best instead of our worst.

I think it would be best to just concentrate on the fact that the crowd and the venue loved the band and wants you back.  Anyone, or any band, can have a bad night.  Don't sweat it!

• Members

mstreck wrote:

Well, the good news is that in the grand scheme of things, a bad night doesn't make one iota of difference in the lives of anyone. Thank God, or I'd have ruined alot of lives~! LOL. The fact is, we strive for exellence that most people don't hear. And bad nights are going to happen. But ultimately it's the crowd who decides how bad it is. 

I have some good friend who have a relatively new jump blues band. In the past year and a half, they've managed to sweep the regional blues awards, and won the local and regional International Blues Challenge. So now they go to Memphis to represent the Northwest in the national competition. So a local bar put on a fundraiser to cover their expenses, and I was asked to play a set with their band backing me up. Now, for the past two years, I have been playing almost no electric guitar at all, and have focused on acoustic almost exclusively. It was a real struggle for me, and that hour couldn't get over fast enough. I just can't do what I used to, as the techiques are totally different. I missed notes, hit sour notes, my left hand started to cramp. I was rustier than an old car and really embarrassed. But people hooted and hollered, and afterward the crowd came up and said how awesome they thought it was, how much they appreciated it, bla bla bla amd I though "WTF? Did they not hear what I just heard?" And the answer is "no, they didn't."

As long as you know you could do better, fine. But don't talk people out of liking you! 

• Members

BlueStrat wrote:

As long as you know you could do better, fine. But don't talk people out of liking you! 

I'm the guy who will find fault with a near-perfect performance. Not becase I like finding fault, but because I want everything to be the best that it can be (given our limitations, of course). Fortunately, most of the people we play to/for aren't like that. thumb.gif

• Members

BlueStrat wrote:

Definitely been there. Last night's gig was, for me, an absolute charlie-foxtrot. Nothing seemed to go right, yet inexplicably (or maybe explicably? Christmas party, so the booze was flowing! :smiley-eatdrink004:) the crowd loved it. In reaction terms, it was the best gig in a long while.

What we experience on stage (and especially listening back in the cold hard light of day) seems to be a world apart from what the punters experience. If they're dancing and having a good time, and spending money at the bar if that's part of your gig, then mission accomplished. If you're an entertainer, and they were entertained, then you did what you were hired to do.

• Members

exactly ,, when someone gives you or the band a compliment when you start running yourself down ,, its like saying , guy you are too stupid to know we sucked .. Just say thanks , glad you enjoyed the show we are having or had a great time playing here..

• Members

BlueStrat wrote:

mstreck wrote:

Well, the good news is that in the grand scheme of things, a bad night doesn't make one iota of difference in the lives of anyone. Thank God, or I'd have ruined alot of lives~! LOL. The fact is, we strive for exellence that most people don't hear. And bad nights are going to happen. But ultimately it's the crowd who decides how bad it is. 

I have some good friend who have a relatively new jump blues band. In the past year and a half, they've managed to sweep the regional blues awards, and won the local and regional International Blues Challenge. So now they go to Memphis to represent the Northwest in the national competition. So a local bar put on a fundraiser to cover their expenses, and I was asked to play a set with their band backing me up. Now, for the past two years, I have been playing almost no electric guitar at all, and have focused on acoustic almost exclusively. I
t was a real struggle for me, and that hour couldn't get over fast enough. I just can't do what I used to, as the techiques are totally different. I missed notes, hit sour notes, my left hand started to cramp. I was rustier than an old car and really embarrassed. But people hooted and hollered, and afterward the crowd came up and said how awesome they thought it was, how much they appreciated it, bla bla bla amd I though "WTF? Did they not hear what I just heard?" And the answer is "no, they didn't."

That reminds me of a story about, I think, Thelonius Monk.  Supposedly when he was complimented for his playing he said something like "well, if you liked THAT, you should have heard what I was TRYING to play."  When it comes to the public, we're out own worst critic because we know what we intended to play, and the public only knows what we DID play.

Archived