new guy in the band sings the same songs as the other members

WaterMoc

• Members

We have a new keyboard player who also does a lot of other kinds of music...he's learned a lot of country songs but half of them are ones we already do.   I think it's weird for one guy to do Better Man or Chattahoochie one night and then he does them the next night, different arrangement that confuses the hell out of me.   Every so often he calls a song that we've alrady done that same night.

I asked the other guys and they shrug it off, say they don't care but the different arrangements are screwy.  The guy is more of a jazz-pop player and doesn't really get country, jumps into bridge at odd places and often takes a song out too soon.

Is this kind of song-sharing a thing now or does it strike anyone else as weird?

• Members

Sounds FUBAR to me and unprofessional. Figure out one set arrangement and lead singer for the tunes. Split em up if you want to be fair. Also, if the rest of you know an arrangement one way than the Keyboardist should learn your arrangement, not the other way around.

• Members

sventvkg wrote:

Sounds FUBAR to me and unprofessional. Figure out one set arrangement and lead singer for the tunes. Split em up if you want to be fair. Also, if the rest of you know an arrangement one way than the Keyboardist should learn your arrangement, not the other way around.

^^^^^^^

THIS

• Members

sventvkg wrote:

It depends ,, its kind of comes with the territory when you play with multiple acts and players etc.  I do a lot of the same songs in two acts in different keys with different arrangments all the time. I also am expected to play songs i have never heard before.   I know it sounds crazy but after a while its not that big a deal after you do it for a while.  The vast majority of songs really only have so many places they can go as far as structure in any given key.  The more you do it the more normal it seems. 

Pretty well everything is live fire down here so you are expected to be able to hit a moving target so to speak.  You can look at it two ways,  It may un professional ,, and the other side of the coin is that to be able to pull it off you have to be a good enough musican to to deal with it.   It is very frusterating when you first start having to operate like that but soon it becomes SOP>   Now i fully understand that there are some songs and arrangments where its impossable to pull it off , but typically a good band leader wont lead his band down that road to disaster. 

• Members

I'm with sventvkg on this one. If someone is joining a band, they need to blend in with what YOU guys are doing. Sure, accomodating someone is important, even encouraged, but only to a point. The new guy needs to realize that those songs are already being done by somebody else and he should find his own moments to shine.

I sometimes have problems with this in bands. I have my own repertoire of songs I can sing well that I built up over years of gigging. When I added my cousin to the group nearly two years ago, there were a few of those same songs that he was used to singing in some previous band situations or wanted to try his version in this group. I decided to let him do a few of them, just to see how they went over, but I kept the ones I definitely wanted to keep singing for my own.

As far as the arrangement thing, it's already sounding like it's an ill fit to me. If he can't get a feel for country and other stuff in the style you guys are doing, it might not work out in the long run. Maybe some long talks are in order to see if you guys can get on the same page and keep things going.

Archived