We got bumped for a DJ

jeff42

• Members

A college bar where we play(ed) has cancelled an upcoming gig we had with them in lieu of a DJ. It was a great little place to play but I was told "kids" dont want to pay a $2 cover so no more bands. When I asked why not just not charge a cover I was met with How can we pay the band? I even offered to work with them price wise for this last gig but no luck...

We were the last hold out because apparently we did well for the bar but I guess our time has come. 

This is I think the only place we had left on our schedule that charged a cover and I have seen people turn around when asked to pay...

and now to save a few bucks he is going with a dj that will work for less

Meh. Another one gone I guess.... It isn't going to kill us though cuz our schedule is pretty full still but its one LESS place we have. 

• Members

guido61 wrote:

Crazy the reluctance to pay a cover charge.   I mean, TWO BUCKS???   Geez, like that's charging a quarter back when we were kids.

Like I said I dont think any place we play charges one any more. I can remember a few places a year or two ago that did and I saw on many occasions decent sized groups of people get stopped at the door, asked to pay and then watch them turn around and leave. sucks and I dont have an answer cuz I see it both ways. on one hand I say drop the cover get the people in and sell them drinks! But on the other hand if this is how they have to pay the entertainment I get it... (BTW we do get a flat fee at this place) 

• Members

jeff42 wrote:

A college bar where we play(ed) has cancelled an upcoming gig we had with them in lieu of a DJ. It was a great little place to play but I was told "kids" dont want to pay a $2 cover so no more bands. When I asked why not just not charge a cover I was met with How can we pay the band? I even offered to work with them price wise for this last gig but no luck...

We were the last hold out because apparently we did well for the bar but I guess our time has come. 

This is I think the only place we had left on our schedule that charged a cover and I have seen people turn around when asked to pay...

Meh. Another one gone I guess.... It isn't going to kill us though cuz our schedule is pretty full still but its one LESS place we have. 

I would guess his problems run a little deeper than just the music budget.    Many places tend to get in pretty deep trouble before they start bailing to keep from sinking.   its a rough business.

• Members

I wonder how much of it has to do with people just flat out not carrying cash as much as they used to?  I know when I go out I use my debit card for everything.  I hardly ever carry cash.  If I go somewhere, get to the door, and there's a cover then I'm turning around too.  Not because I don't want to spend the $2 - $10, I just don't have it on me (and I'm not hunting down an ATM, getting cash, then going back to the club).

• Members

jeff42 wrote:

We've had this happen and you just have to accept it as an economic reality. To start, even when NUTS was popular and still packing a college bar the bar had to lay out $1600 to our band... more security, more bartenders. Yeah, it looks like 300 college kids are in the bar but drafts are $1.50 and every student is spending $20-30 at best. It's different for nightclubs where patrons spend more than $40-50 and a mixed drink goes for $7-9. I've watched college kids at our own gigs walk in, look around, see a band playing and walk right back out. 

As a rule... unless it's some hardcore, alt, punk band scrapping by for $100 a band is not what draws and keeps college kids in college bars. 

• Members

Kevin T wrote:

I was told in an ol der thread good bands dont loose gigs to DJs.
:(

I don't know tough topic to cover, but business is business. Live music get's stagnant same band, same set, same order, after a couple years or x time something has to change.  A DJ's set list changes weekly, and it takes .5 a second to "learn" a song. And if the crowd is in their 20's that's an average attention span of about 1 second per person or when they get a text or a facecrack post. 

• Members

jeff42 wrote:

A college bar where we play(ed) has cancelled an upcoming gig we had with them in lieu of a DJ. It was a great little place to play but I was told "kids" dont want to pay a $2 cover so no more bands. ....

Places here all charge a $5 cover, even for DJ's.  My guess is that this bar is already financially in trouble, so changing from a band to a DJ to save money is a real last ditch effort.  Chances are this bar may be out of business anyway in a few months!  Don't they have to pay the DJ?

• Members

New Trail wrote:

jeff42 wrote:

A college bar where we play(ed) has cancelled an upcoming gig we had with them in lieu of a DJ. It was a great little place to play but I was told "kids" dont want to pay a $2 cover so no more bands. ....

Places here all charge a $5 cover, even for DJ's.  My guess is that this bar is already financially in trouble, so changing from a band to a DJ to save money is a real last ditch effort.  Chances are this bar may be out of business anyway in a few months!  Don't they have to pay the DJ?

My guess is they are paying him next to nothing.

• Members

F that!! Build it into the cost of doing business..Even though I play covers again, I'll admitI'm not going to pay a cover charge to see a cover band. SORRY FOLKS! I don't consider it artistic enough...I will pay a cover to see an original artist that I respect though. 

guido61 wrote:

Crazy the reluctance to pay a cover charge.   I mean, TWO BUCKS???   Geez, like that's charging a quarter back when we were kids.

Archived