Can't enjoy other local bands

Kevin T

• Members

I can agree a little with that except most of the bands in my area are terrible. I also put a lot of blame on venues for sound quality with house sound guy and booking shows with bands that have no reason to share a bill. metal with bluegrass....etc

• Members

I can't help but compare.  That's just a natural part of the process of being in the business.  

But I'm not a jealous person by nature so I don't usually get jealous if I see a better band.  If anything, I'm usually inspired.  I only purposely go see bands I believe are better than mine so I can try to learn some stuff.   If I happen across a band who I think is worse, I try not to be too judgemental and just enjoy it for what it is.   Or not and leave soon if I'm not having a good time. 

What I hate is when I'm out with my bandmates and we come across a better band and they start making excuses instead of just trying to use the other band as inspiration.   Saying stuff like "well, sure, they might be tight, but did you hear how bad the guitar sound was???" accomplishes nothing.   That's great if we're better than them on this point or that, but let's focus on what we DON'T do as well and try to improve ourselves, okay?

• Members

Kevin T wrote:

If I'm out seeing another local band (sometimes ) I can't seem to stop comparing and just enjoy .im either jealous or critical

I know it's not attractive but I doubt I'm alone ?

I think its pretty natural to check out the bands in your local fishpond since most bands work at trying to put out a good product and get a good response from people.  I think the key is not to get obsessed with making it a combat sport.  

• Members

Mstreck, PH is pretty good! All I saw when I caught you was chicks dancing and people having a good old time to some good music!

I got my start in your neck of the woods and I've seen a lot of bands that were just, well.. they were bands! When I hit the cover scene I thought it was goig to be all pro-level players because you could actually make a little extra scratch playing th ebar scene. I quickly found out that pretty much any band could get a gig, because they undercut on price, and that is what most bar managers care most about... 

I will admit, my old cover band used to go and support other cover bands that played the same circuit we did. Most nights we ended up calling that 'Band Appreciation night' - you'd leave with a pretty good sense of how fortunate you were to be playing with the guys you were playing with.

The only thing I criticise (and stil do) is image, really. We all had to learn to play and get our start doing gigs, but we've all been dresing ourselves a lot longer. I am a bit of a dick when it comes to how you look on stage. I'm not saying that everyone should have gold lamee jackets and costumes, (Mike, you guys looked like I would expect a party band in the summer to look like, BTW! You're safe!) but the band should look like the band. I walked into one place and the bar patrons said 'Here's the BAAAAND!!' - It was actually time for the first set to start based on the music schedule that had been going on for years at this place. I informed them that I was here to hang out and see this other band - at that moment a bunch of people who looked like they just came in from a PTA meeting started bringing in gear.. That was the band. PTA Mom's playing bass and keyboard, Casual Friday office jockeys playing guitar... I will admit, I formed my opinion pretty quickly. It was only reinforced when they put their Nady PA speakers ON THE GROUND, pointing at our shins and proceeded to play super lame/barely learned covers with music stands and little feel. 

But mostly it was about the little things we could remind ourselves to not do

• Members

Kevin T wrote:

If I'm out seeing another local band (sometimes ) I can't seem to stop comparing and just enjoy .im either jealous or critical

I know it's not attractive but I doubt I'm alone ?

I'm the same way.  I can't seem to just enjoy what I hear as I am in critique mode all the time.  And to be honest the last year or so I am now critically critiquing my own bands while I'm on the stage.  I'm not sure what drives this behaviour but I can't relax and just listen to the music.  I think it just has to do with being a musician.  When I mention it to my wife when we're out (who's not a musician) she is completely the opposite.  She'll make some comment about how good a song was and I'm thinking about everything that I perceived to be wrong with the same song I just heard from the band.....

• 2 weeks later...
  • Members

I feel like I can enjoy just about any other band I see at varying levels whether they are good or bad and have a good time. It's my own bands that I get so overly critical of. Constantly striving to become better is a gift and a sickness all at the same time. Trying to keep that drive/expectation of the bands in proper perspective as to not drive myself or my bandmates crazy is the hard part. hehe   I guess I can take other bands that I'm not invested in purely at face-value, let my guard down and can simply appreciate their music. Anything from giving them credit for having the courage to get up and perform in front of people, to being totally blown away by superior musicians, I can enjoy it all. My bands? Well, I enjoy them, but maybe I'll be able to listen to us with unbiased ears when I finally put the sticks up.

• Members

When it comes to cover bands, I do what every one else in the crowd does....let the band be background and party with my friends...drink and maybe dance to some stuff. Something might catch my ear and I'll pay attention for a min or two, but I'm there to party. Do your job Mr. Cover Band and I'm happy. Very rare a cover band can hold my interest as dedicated listening entertainment. I'm a pain in the ass to entertain when it comes to listening to music.  While I absolutely love to play any and all music, I only enjoy certain stuff when it comes to dedicated attentive listening.

I did see a cover band once with a friend of mine in it, and it was a dude doing synth/samples/dj stuff/ and beats, and my friend on bass, an acoustic guy and an auxilary guy who did electric, acoustic and percussion. The did amazing versions of pop rock and funk tunes in the craziest and most creative ways. A coupla cool mash ups too.  All 4 sang and had killer harmonies and they were just amazing. Great and engaging stage banter too.

And no one gave a ****. So apparently my tastes aren't popular. Imagine that.

Archived