No announcement yet.

Very Talented People

Collapse
X
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Very Talented People

What is it about insanely talented people? I know some musicians that are on another level talent wise but often their lives are a mess. Never mind the substance abuse but their relationships are often abusive or they can’t hold a job together. I know there are always exception to this it’s something I have noticed as I got older. It’s like they can’t get out of their own way
    "Danny, ci manchi a tutti. La E-Street Band non e' la stessa senza di te. Riposa in pace, fratello"

Being gifted (no matter what your particular gift is) is no guarantee of a smooth, happy, successful life.

"Look at it this way: think of how stupid the average person is, and then realize half of 'em are stupider than that."

- George Carlin

"It shouldn't be expected that people are necessarily doing what they appear to be doing on records."

- Sir George Martin, All You Need Is Ears

"The music business will be revitalized by musicians, not the labels or Live Nation. When the musicians decide to put music first, instead of money, the public will flock to the fruits and the scene will be healthy again."

- Bob Lefsetz, The Lefsetz Letter

Comment

No of course not but on some level they have to be afraid of success.
      "Danny, ci manchi a tutti. La E-Street Band non e' la stessa senza di te. Riposa in pace, fratello"

Comment

They can't quite get to the adult side of the brain perhaps. Too emotional, incapable of critical thinking/reasoning. Frankly I won't waste time with people like that no matter their skill level because to actually be considered talented or gifted in my book you need to be the complete package which includes being a courteous, respectful, prudent, intelligent, functioning adult.
        http://www.crazydeliciousband.com/

Comment

Originally posted by ggm1960 View Post
          They can't quite get to the adult side of the brain perhaps. Too emotional, incapable of critical thinking/reasoning. Frankly I won't waste time with people like that no matter their skill level because to actually be considered talented or gifted in my book you need to be the complete package which includes being a courteous, respectful, prudent, intelligent, functioning adult.
          They don't necessarily have to be neurotic donas. Anytime achievement equals bucks, there will be very stringent filters. There's no way for "naturals" to address that.
          Originally posted by Unconfigured Static HTML Widget...

Write Something, or Drag and Drop Images Here...

Comment

I'm sure that any of us have some eccentricities and most certainly a level of OCD to get to any point where we'd be of value to a music group or musical endeavor. It appears to me from watching many interviews and documentaries that some of the most famous and wealthy musicians out there seem to be pretty well grounded and able to cope with and/or avoid temptations and situations that might have taken me down under similar circumstances. As I get older my tolerance level for any kind of stupidity or BS gets less and less.
            http://www.crazydeliciousband.com/

Comment

I get that.

Comment

I've played with some rather gifted musicians, many recently and older like myself. I'd say it's really a 50/50. In the 'local' scene, I see mostly flakes and burnouts, while talented, or gifted, their lives are a mess and they still hop from band to band and still screw it all up eventually, every time.

Then there's the studio guys, who always seem to have a charmed life, talented players and successful careers outside music. Rarely do I meet a career musician with talent and stability. I guess you have to be crazy to be a working musician these days haha.
                Epihpone LP and Dot.
                Fender American Strat HSS
                (Loaner) Viking Pillager 60w combo (best amp in the friggin world!)
                Blackstar Stage-100 Head, 2x12 Blackstar Cab
                Marshall 4x10 Cab
                Pedals, pedals, and more pedals. Favs include Strymon Mobius, MXR Super Badass, Digitech Supernatural Reverb, Xotic BB, MXR Carbon Copy.-

Comment

Working...
                X