Announcement
Collapse
No announcement yet.

Tired of wasting time at band rehearsal?

Collapse
X
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tired of wasting time at band rehearsal?

Then you might want to check out this article for some tips on how to make your band practices more efficient.

If you have any tips on how to make band practice more fun and productive, please share them with everyone! And if you have comments or questions about the article, feel free to post those here too.

"Look at it this way: think of how stupid the average person is, and then realize half of 'em are stupider than that."

- George Carlin

"It shouldn't be expected that people are necessarily doing what they appear to be doing on records."

- Sir George Martin, All You Need Is Ears

"The music business will be revitalized by musicians, not the labels or Live Nation. When the musicians decide to put music first, instead of money, the public will flock to the fruits and the scene will be healthy again."

- Bob Lefsetz, The Lefsetz Letter

I think I trained that group I'm working with last night that if they want to practice keyboard songs they should do it while I'm there because I have an hour and a half drive and at 8:30pm I'm out the door and down the road!
    Last edited by ggm1960; 01-03-2018, 01:48 PM.
    http://www.crazydeliciousband.com/

Comment

i love working solo...
      my p0asting days were numb bird... now im done... bye.

Comment

• Phil O'Keefe
        Phil O'Keefe commented
        Editing a comment
        It does have certain advantages...

The biggest thing for me is figuring out the start time. Some groups I work with specify the arrival time. Others specify the time we are expected to start playing. I prefer the latter!!! But there is nothing more annoying than getting this wrong.

One more tip - for cover acts - have the commercial recordings available so that you can reference them if needed. We just had an entry point question last night; one member was convinced his part started on 2 but was supposed to start on 4. 3 minutes of messing around did not yield an obvious answer. 30 seconds of listening did.
      Do daemons dream of electric sleep()?

Comment

• Phil O'Keefe
        Phil O'Keefe commented
        Editing a comment
        Great suggestion!

Shoot, my band rehearses roughly once a month, or whenever we have new material. Everyone knows their parts cold. I know I'm fortunate, but I can really count on my guys.
      http://thekiltlifters.com

Comment

• Phil O'Keefe
        Phil O'Keefe commented
        Editing a comment
        You are indeed a lucky man.

I sent that link to everybody in the band. We have one guy who has been an incurable noodler since 2004, even -- no, especially -- when we're trying to discuss something, and looks like his feelings are hurt whenever someone asks him to stop. Another insisted that his drinking during practice didn't affect his playing, but he finally stopped anyway... after recently getting a ticket for driving while intoxicated. That guy lives an hour away, so we're all wondering what's going to happen if he loses his license. >:-(
      ---
      Jim
      Keys: Roland Jupiter-50, JX-8P; Alesis QS8.1; Korg DW-8000, Mini-Korg (original); Moog ConcertMate; Farfisa Compact Deluxe. And other assorted stuff.

Comment

Thank you for sharing the article. I hope they take it to heart Jim. Best of luck!

"Look at it this way: think of how stupid the average person is, and then realize half of 'em are stupider than that."

- George Carlin

"It shouldn't be expected that people are necessarily doing what they appear to be doing on records."

- Sir George Martin, All You Need Is Ears

"The music business will be revitalized by musicians, not the labels or Live Nation. When the musicians decide to put music first, instead of money, the public will flock to the fruits and the scene will be healthy again."

- Bob Lefsetz, The Lefsetz Letter

Comment

Nice article Phil. I would add make sure everyone is working from the same version of a song and knows which parts to learn, key, etc. EG: I am first guitar but I share some lead duties with our other guitarist so we discuss who is to learn what. My current band is super organized; mp3's and charts are put up on a site. We gig about 4 times per month and only practice once every 3rd or 4th month when we are adding new songs. Everyone does their homework and we usually add 4 songs per practice going through each 2 or 3 times and then coming back and repeating all to end the session.

Another thing I like about this band is we always play the same setlist and when we add songs we drop an equal number. Makes gigs easier and everyone always knows what we are playing next.

This is both the most professional and most fun band I have ever been in. Communication is key!

On the other hand, I am also in a jam band that gets together most Monday evenings and is not focused on gigging. We are completely unstructured and also have a blast. We do have certain songs that we have gotten down and we have gigged a few times, however, our focus is on just playing what we want and, well, jamming.

Comment

Working...
          X