Please tell me this isn't a new trend.....

Pat'sStrat

• Members

So back in 2003, my band played a summer festival in a university town. They hold it in the city park every summer, and we played just before John Hammond, who then at the end of his set (he was solo) asked the band to come up and back him for a couple of songs. We were thrilled of course. The promoters said they loved the band and my material, and would have us back in a coupl of years. We folded up the next year, so it didn't happen.

Fast forward to today. I had my agent (same guy as back then) approach the festival (same owners) and ask them if they'd be interested in rebooking me. "Oh, we have an exciting new process for hiring bands," he was told.

Apparently, what they do is decide on the headliners for the three days of the festival, and then open a competition for the openers for the headliners. They ask you to submit your press kit, and their committee narrows it down to six bands. Then they hold an audition night, wherein each band is expected to travel to their town and play a 6 song set. The best three, based on audience response and the panel of judges, will be the three openers. Each band gets paid a whopping 150 dollars for their time and travel expenses for the audition. This town is 90 miles away. And there are actually bands doing it, traveling as much as 300 miles for the gig. I'm like "WTF? Seriously?" Please, God, tell me this isn't a new trend.

• Members

That's degrading to us musicians , I swear I hate promoters, to the hilt.

They act like they are the center of the Universe and are arrogant beyond description.

It's as if they arrogantly stick their feet out after their foot dipped in to a pile of crap, they ask us to lick the crap off their feet and if we do the dirty deed .... They kick us in the face, declaring, " Aren't you going to thank me for me, letting you do the dirty deed !!!! ".

I just subbed for a band tonight and delt with local promoter .... The guy was really a real sad piece of humanity..... You can tell the guy was a real snake !!!!

• Members

I could almost, I say almost understand this process if it was before video, YouTube and so on. Even then though, the festival bookers went to the bands NOT the other way around. The whole thing sounds ridiculous in this day and age.

I can say personally that in in addition to other small festivals over the years, in 2015 and 2016 I played at a local mid level blues festival. In 2016 it was with the Billy Dixon Band, and nothing crazy happened in that booking process (or in the previous year with another band). http://www.burnabybluesfestival.com/2016-lineup/

In my experience, promo, word of mouth and a possible visit by organizers to see the band, is the way they (and I hope most) other festivals book their acts.

• Members

I would agree with your comment about audio and video technology, but I'm surprised at how few bands bother to go beyond content right out of camera phones. Maybe it's because they're afraid that once you use a signal off the board, you're going to be compared to multi-track studio quality. . . . but that's not live, is it? If I was a promoter I'd ask for content from a Zoom H4N recorder or the equivalent, and/or audio/video from a decent late model digital camera.

• Members

There's a few festivals around here that hold "Busking Competitions" costs rang from $50-$150 "registration fee" to enter, and the grand prize is to play some side-stage at the festival, for free.

Getting paid $150 to audition, then getting $1200 for the gig is a good deal in comparison.

• Moderators

If it was not a two hour drive each way in order to get paid below minimum wage for a chance to maybe make a decent gig rate...I'm with you Pat, pass on it. I don't see why you couldn't submit a 'live' video. I can make more playing a 'corporate' less than an hour from home, though...but yeah, that means haul our own PA, etc.

• Members

I remember back 2009-2012 when I was in an originals band - pay to play was the usual, no matter how big the festival or show. In fact, we had to do similar contests to get into the bigger shows, which required the same BS entry fees and whatnot. Swore off free gigging, screw that noise.

Archived