Sprinkler Systems?!

senorblues

• Members

So the drummer (who knows the new restaurant owner) asks about bringing in music.

"We can't have music here because we don't have enough sprinklers on the first floor."

So yeah, we spent the next fifteen minutes doing all the "smoking band" jokes. But seriously, have any of you run into this?

• Members

It could be several different things. One thing might be insurance. Because of the NJ fire, a venue's insurance might be prohibitive if they want live music but don't have sprinklers. It could be a fire inspection issue. How could you do an inspection of each and every musician's piece of gear when the fire department only make infrequent trips there. Or live music could be perceived as a fire hazard due to the expected wild and careless abandonment of the crowd.

Liquor licensing could also be an issue. I played a restaurant where we were only allowed to play acoustic instruments. That was just silly, as you could technically have three trumpets, but could not have three flutes miced through a busking amp.

Of course there's also the possibility that the owner is supposed to have sprinklers, and just doesn't want to draw attention to his violation.

• Members
It could be several different things. One thing might be insurance. Because of the NJ fire, a venue's insurance might be prohibitive if they want live music but don't have sprinklers. It could be a fire inspection issue. How could you do an inspection of each and every musician's piece of gear when the fire department only make infrequent trips there. Or live music could be perceived as a fire hazard due to the expected wild and careless abandonment of the crowd.

Liquor licensing could also be an issue. I played a restaurant where we were only allowed to play acoustic instruments. That was just silly, as you could technically have three trumpets, but could not have three flutes miced through a busking amp.

Of course there's also the possibility that the owner is supposed to have sprinklers, and just doesn't want to draw attention to his violation.

I've been amused at the local regs, like "acoustic only" which is clearly meant to keep the decibel level down . . . so why not specify what the decibel level should be? Same with occupancy as it relates to fire codes. Say what you mean!

• Moderators

he'll need more than sprinklers...he'll need a ASCAP, BMI and SESAC agreement...and maybe a cabaret license, and maybe more for noise ordinances....it is a real weird series of potentialities to have live music in some places.

• Moderators

recently a good friend of ours who owns a small restaurant about an hour from here asked me if I would come do my solo act. I checked the local ordinances on line...and my answer was 'No'...because their municipality has an 'acoustic instrument only' ordinance from 8 until closing, which means no amplification, no mic, and no 'me'.

Archived