Looking for advice on gig

Kramerguy

• Members

Hey guys, we have a gig coming up - at a ski resort Oct 29. It's looking like it's not going to be a costume party, which is a relief, because it is outdoors !!

I've played outdoor gigs as late as Late September, and up in the mountain areas, where it can get down to about 40 degrees by the time we're wrapping up. Even in those, the chill factor was incredibly debilitating, neck on guitar feels like a frozen popsicle, numbs and slows the hand, and even the strings feel like knives cutting into my fingertips. I hate the cold!

Especially the neck issue. I imagine we can see temps possibly dip as low as the mid 30's, and frankly that terrifies me.

Any suggestions on how to keep the guitar and my fingers warm?

• Members

We lost a lot of gigs last year, so it's a beggars can't be choosers situation lol, and my bandmate booked it. I generally would have been against it, but everyone else said yes so I don't want to be "that guy" who spoils it for everyone else. I go with the flow. I guess I will just bulk up on layers and find some of those finger-less thremal gloves and hope they at least help mitigate the chill effects

And lots of alcohol.

• Members
LOL that's perfect.. it warms your skin and lowers your core. Certainly not a good thing if you are trapped in an avalanche.. but freeking perfect if your core is in no danger but you need a boost to the outer layer :)
Dressing warmly is better - good thermal watchcap, warm socks/boots, down vest, etc.

• Members

boots and warm socks and underwear are the first thing to keep you warm. no matter if you have perfect gloves, hat, nice warm jacket and pullover and what ever, if your feet are not warm nothing will be warm, and the feet will get cold first.

other than that, we did an outdoor gig this summer with 35' celsius (95 F) and we thought we will die. quit the opposite was the case, as it was late afternoon, there were no lights and a slight wind was there, we all sweated much less, than on any indoor gig we did before with the stage lights and all

so if your gig has lots of lights be sure they turn them all on and it might not be as cold as you now fear :)

• Members

Oh yah - forgot about that. One guy that hangs out on the Live Sound subforum still hangs the old 1000w Par 64's for them outdoor gigs. He has them from his days of doing production on tours before LEDs became popular. You can't give them away these days...

• Members

I couldn't do it. I did a ski resort in Oregon outdoors in April back in the 80s, but man, between my current age and the arthritis, I just can't do it. I did a morning solo last Saturday outside at a Farmer's Market and it was about 50 degrees when I started and pouring rain. Even though it had a covered stage, it was damp and I had a hard time moving my fingers and my guitar hated it too. Best to you.

• Members

I play (busk) farmer's markets mostly. I much prefer the fall/spring over summer (way too hot) but even play in winter. Coldest I've played was probably around 32-36 degrees. Since it's not a gig as such and I'm just playing for tips it does not matter how long I last but around 1 1/2 to 2 hours is about it in the coldest weather. People do tip well in winter though, I guess they appreciate the effort if not the music LOL!

I usually play with some sort of glove and stuff those chemical hand warmers inside the back of the gloves to help keep my hands warm although they don't help that much. Two pair or socks and a couple of carpets to stand on usually help to keep my feet, if not warm, at least not falling off from frostbite!

• Members

I've had to do a few gigs where it dipped down into the 40's. It really tends to suck the fun out of it but I've managed although I really prefer not to do it anymore. Like everyone says, dress warmly. Perhaps an electric/gas heater nearby you can reach out to occasionally. It's not bad at first but cold creeps up and in on you so maybe take more breaks than usual and heat up between sets.

• Members

I am considering one of those space hearters next to my guitar to keep it comfortable , and especially the neck nice and warm.. but with all our amps, lights, etc.. we blow fuses as it is LOL. Probably not gonna happen. I'm gonna just layer up and one of our guys has those thermal wraps for hands. I like the carpet idea, but we're probably going to be playing on hard ground :( Alcohol it is. I have a flask and apple pie moonshine.. that'll do the trick :)

• Members

again keep your feet warm. good isolating shoes and extra socks are essential. no matter what you put on your hands etc. if your feet starting to get cold your whole body will feel cold, no matter what else you wear

cold feet -> cold everything

• Members
again keep your feet warm. good isolating shoes and extra socks are essential. no matter what you put on your hands etc. if your feet starting to get cold your whole body will feel cold, no matter what else you wear

cold feet -> cold everything

It's also vital to cover your head. Keep your noggin and tootsies warm and you stand a better chance.

• Members

Up here in Lake Tahoe I've done a lot of outdoor ski resort gigs over the years. Try to get the venue to provide you with enough of those gas heater things that they can cover the stage pretty well

Also get some packets of "Hot Hands" hand warmers or something similar to put in your pockets or even in your shoes if need be

Good luck and keep moving!

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • Members
how was the gig?

Hey sorry- work has been kicking my ass the last couple months...

As it turned out, the weather turned balmy for October, I don't think it dropped below 65 that night, with little to no breeze.. it actually felt great to gig in that temp :)

I knew mid-afternoon when it peaked around 72 degrees that we were gonna be ok. I wore jeans, t-shirt, flannel unbuttoned and brought a hoodie for good measure. Never had to break out the hoodie until halfway through breakdown.

And then we got paid. In ski lift gift certificates. In their defense, we knew that going into it. hah.

Archived