90s pop/dance tune suggestions, anyyone?

• Members

Anyone having success with any in particular?

The 90s certainly seem to be the new 80s in terms of audience response to 'classic' material. For our last few shows---and especially the club gig we did last Friday night ---- our 90s pop medley (Push It/Pump Up The Jam/Whoomp There It Is/Gonna Make You Sweat/Wannabe/Groove Is In The Heart) was the highlight of the show. So I'm looking to put together another similar medley (female vocal emphasis obviously).

Right now I'm tossing around an idea in my head focused around En Vogue's "My Lovin'", Spice Girls' "Say You'll Be There" and Madonna's "Vogue". Maybe throwing in bits of Salt n Pepa's "Whatta Man" and Montel Jordan's "This Is How We Do It".

Any other suggestions? Let's hear 'em~

• Members

Right now ALL the 90s stuff that we do works well:

All For You- Sister Hazel

Run Around- Blues Traveler

What I Got- Sublime

Hey Jealousy- Gin Blossoms

Two Princes- Spin Doctors

Tubthumpin- Chumbawumba

Song 2- Blur

Laid – James

Semi Charmed- Third Eye Blind

My Own Worst Enemy- Lit

New Aged Girl- Dead Eye Dick

This Is How We Do It- Montel Jordan

Here Comes The Hotstepper- Ini Kamoze

Bust A Move- Young MC

Jump Around- House of Pain

• Members

Something from Janet Jackson's "Control" album, or Black Box "Everybody, Everybody" (great intro) might also work in there. Thinking here as someone who experienced the very early 90s as a young person. Ace Of Bass - "All That She Wants". Maybe some Boys II Men? Or Soul II Soul - "Back To Life". Snap - "I've Got The Power" (electric guitar hook section), Montell Jordan - "This Is How We Do It", Eiffel 65 - "Blue (Da Be Dee)", Aqua - "Dr. Jones" and "Barbie Girl". Lou Bega - "Mambo #5", Salt'n'Pepa - "Let's Talk About Sex" (chorus), LOL, Haddaway - "What Is Love", Britney Spears - "Hit Me Baby", TLC - "No Scrubs", C+C Music Factory - "Here We Go", "Things That Make You Go Hmmmm"............

The 90s are tough for us as a rock band, because there are no keys and the music largely sucked. Jeff's list hits a lot of the high spots. You know, I think if I was in a 90s band...I would want to do club dance hits instead of rock.

Oh! If folks are the right age... how about La Macarena! Anybody born 1968-1978 will know the dance. If you were in bars in 1995. It was the Spanish pop song with the stupidly popular line dance.

Wes

PS - Smooth always fills my dance floor, came out in '99, but not really pop.

• Members
Thinking here as someone who experienced the very early 90s as a young person.

That's a good perspective to have for sure. I was in my 30s during the 90s and was largely transitioning out of live performance and hanging out in bars so, while I'm familiar with and have good memories with most of the music, I've never before played any of it.

Does the music suck? I dunno. As Hesh said on "The Sopranos"--- "A Hit is A Hit". As a keyboard player, the pop stuff is definitely more interesting than the rock stuff and from a "party band" perspective, most of the best 90s rock is a bit of a downer. But I think that the rock 'gems' will emerge as more clubs bands start looking for stuff to play. I also try to keep an ear focused on the TV set. While my preference is to record programs so I can fast-forward past the commercials, which songs get used on commercials can be a very good indicator of what oldies are resonating with the public.

We're also transitioning into much more of a pop band than a rock band anyway as that music suits our current singers better. With my previous singer, I was able to load her up with male vocal stuff and she could sell those songs all day long. With these two, they do the pop much better. They knock the Whitney Houston and Taylor Swift type material out of the park. And harmonize really well together.

The pop stuff is, of course, much more chick-oriented than it is for the guys. But that's rarely a bad thing. The girls will pack the dance floor and the guys will do what they wanna do---watch, dance, drink. It was quite telling at the bar gig the other night when, while doing our 90s medley, we kicked into Spice Girls' "Wannabe" and about a dozen late 20s/early 30s girls come running in screaming from the next room to take to the dance floor. It doesn't take a rocket scientist to figure out what type of material to play if that's your target audience.

• Members

most of the best 90s rock is a bit of a downer.

That's where I think you'll find the most difficulty. Songs from straight-up "rock" bands in the 90s often were deliberately designed to not be anywhere near danceable, much less be party music.

Adapting pop songs to your group's style will probably be much more profitable.

• 4 weeks later...
  • Members

Yeah, agreed: Most 90s -Rock songs were really downer. I do take alot of requests and when they want to hear a song like "Freshman" I am quick to say "That song makes me want to jump into a WOODCHIPPER!" What a downer of a song. If its 90s ya gotta go pop or or go home!

• Members

I like music from the 90's. Not so much dance stuff, but the alt pop rock.

Gin Blossoms, Material Issue ect.

Maybe The Rembrandts might work. I like The Jayhawks, and Fountains of Wayne, but that's not exactly dance music. Not that you can't dance to it.

Gonna Make You Sweat (Everybody Dance Now)

Macarena

Unbelievable - EMF

All That She Wants - Ace of Base

I'm Too Sexy - Right Said Fred

U Can't Touch This

These are some of the club dance stuff

There's tons more, so good luck

• Members
Rembrandts -- you mean the long version of the Friends Theme? That might actually hit some serious nostalgia buttons for people who are currently 40-45.

That's the tune. They had another hit song too, but not as big.

[video=youtube;k6KfhOpq2n8]

• Members

maybe this

The girl from Achiche's Place was in the band

lx90b59bhsh495h9.jpg?djet1p5k

Danielle-brisebois.png

[video=youtube;DL7-CKirWZE]

I was at a club back in the early 90's and meet the guys from Toad the Wet Sprocket. I told them they put on a great show and Todd Nichols handed me a copy of Pale, which wasn't even out yet.

Pale is still my fav cd, but this is the biggie hit.

[video=youtube;AVYYpNaSs2Y]

• Members

Here's couple other memory joggers

[video=youtube;l80gYqnqV9U]

[video=youtube;AgdgptaBma8]

I'm also a fan of the Madchester bands, but that's a tall order in itself.

[video=youtube;GKYcgMU-nJQ]

• Members
Here's couple other memory joggers

[video=youtube;l80gYqnqV9U]

[video=youtube;AgdgptaBma8]

I'm also a fan of the Madchester bands, but that's a tall order in itself.

[video=youtube;GKYcgMU-nJQ]

Not to be an ass but. What part of any of these songs even remotely fits guido's wedding/part band with 2 females singers. Chirst the 90's blew....

Archived