Growing Pains?? Your opinion welcome..

• 1 month later...
  • Members

Explanation: I vented this whole thing and when I looked at it I realized it had no bizness being here. I tried to delete the whole thing and I didn't know how to do that (Maybe you can't after ya post ...) anyway, I spared everyone some drama and deleted the diatribe.

• Members

My latest thing is just finding time to do it all. Never enough time. I want to promote more,record more and play more gigs. But it's a challenge, to say the least, to balance my life, I am blessed to have the offer of gigs over a year in advance. But its cover gigs...and eventually I want to sell my originals. But I DID DO originals for 8 yrs and got slaughtered. Lost everything. Money,time.....EVERYTHING. Now its 15 years later. The prospect of writing new material is hard with my soul so battered from the rejection of my originals in the past. It especially sucks cause..Yeah, I have done music for TV, yeah I have done music for film, yeah I have played succesful covers for years. Think about it: Its like a personal rejection thing: "George, we just don't like anything that is really YOU....everything else is okay, though." Ow. What do ya do???? And don't tell me to sneak in an original, here and there. If thats' your suggestion I have to respond "for what purpose? " Does anyone buy a CD at a gig anymore? Does anyone take the time to go your website and download your originals? I don't think so. It seems to me, people only buy what they already know thru mass media....not local. The perception is "If it's local, its not as good". Okay...batter up...I'm all ears.

• Members

No,..... selling myself is not the only reason I do it. But when something sells it's a TRUE endorsement that I've got something of value. People will say and do all kinds of things. They'll tell you you're great...but won't book you (at the same price as the competition). they'll tell you they want to support music, but they won't pay for it. They steal Mp3s endlessly online and won't go to a venue that charges a cover that pays the band. To me, the only way to know the truth from the lies is if someone pays for it.

• Members

Wes, thanks for constructive input. A good percentage of my crowd is 40ish..so who knows. I did record a cover of "Rene" by the Left Banke. A slightly different take on it. Maybe I should press a few and see what happens. So far when Ive played it, response is fair..but noone asks to buy it. You can hear it 24/.7 at GeorgeBarry.net Give it a listen and tell me if I really missed the mark on that song. I personally think it came out well.

Archived