Fallout from attrition?

• Members

In all the time I have been here we have talked about bands breaking up or firing people. One thing I never see talked about it the fallout from attrition. I mean for example someone getting fired and being vindictive towards the band/music scene because of it. People are genuinely OK but I have seen a lot of things happen here locally from events that happened 30 years ago to some of the veteran players. Some of it is sad and I have noticed people can be destructive. What has been your experience with these types of situations?

• Members

I'm not entirely clear on what you mean. If you mean attrition..as in, people just falling out of the band over time.... Yeah, that happens. But more often than not, bands just don't last in any appreciable way. If I had a dime for every craigslist ad. It seems like the same people have been trying for years to get anything to form. But if you mean people harboring negative feelings over the years..well. thats different and Ive seen it but its kinda rare. I guess I see it less (not to brag, or whatever) but i did decide years ago to walk away from people who operate like that. Honestly, its hard enough doing what we do...we don't need people in our midst who can't wait to put a knife in our backs.

• Members
Sure that is what I mean' date=' it happens. I see a lot of the people at the open jams that could never be in a band. But they also seem to be viscous people.[/quote']

​Just because people are musically talented and/or have the desire to perform in public doesn't mean they are necessarily the right personality types to be in a band.

Those of us that have played in bands for a long time and are pretty good at it can sometimes forget that not everyone is cut from the same cloth.

It's too bad because I lot of very talented folks never get to realize that part of their potential because they just can't work and play well with others.

• Members
I guess you are right. But they are also people that can do a lot of damage.

I suppose. I guess I just don't have a lot of experience with these sorts of people. I try to stay clear of working with people that might be difficult and I keep to myself for the most part and never been much involved in "scenes" and such.

Just keep your head down and maintain your own standards and a good rep should follow. Whatever damage others might try to inflict upon you should be minimal.​

• Members

Yes sorry Guido I was getting a little off track. Originally I was talking about people that are viscous and vindictive. I remember when (Pat Coast used to post here (not sure if he still does) He would tell me that musicians are very emotionally immature people. That might have to do with part of it??

Archived