Drinking on stage

FitchFY

• Members

I finally got a new blog up recently around a topic that those of us in the bars know very well: how much can/ should/ do you drink on stage.

There are so many factors that go into whether this is a good idea or a bad one:

- If you're drunk, you may suck.

- Maybe you're rigid stone sober.

- Fans want to buy you drinks, and it's polite.

- Fans want to buy you shots, which makes the bar money.

- Alcoholism is a thing

- Maybe you're a light-weight

- You consider it unprofessional

I maintain that every band and every gig are different. In a corporate function band, I'd imagine drinking is 100% no-no, whereas you'd be expected to put down pints with your crowd when playing in a rock bar cover band.

Keeping in mind that my blog is for those getting into playing in a band (the aspiring non-professional musician), here's some thoughts on the topic:

https://fitchdrums.wordpress.com/2016/01/03/let-me-buy-you-a-shot/

• Members
I'm an alcohol lightweight. I either don't drink at all at a show or at most

1 beer before show.

1 beer between sets.

no liquor, I would get way over juiced.

Me too, but I'll have beer

The music biz might be the only job in the world you can go to worked loaded and get away with it. That goes for drugs too.

I saw an article a long time in Guitar Player, that said if a fan wants to buy you a drink, have the bartender make it a soft drink, or have him put everything in it but the booze.

• Members

We are a party band. Lots of sociables etc. People buy us shooters etc. I take it pretty easy. I'll have a Coors Light & a diet coke going on stage. I'll drink from both. 1 beer, 1 soda per set. Often don't finish the beer per set.

I I don't drink during our breaks (10 - 20 mins ) I leave the drinking on the stage. It's more for effect than anything. At the end of the night I might have had 6 drinks or so, playing from 9pm - 2am. I'm a big guy, 250lbs. While I wouldn't drive at the end of the night I'm not a drunken mess at the end either.

• Members

I've played with some guys were beer and them is like spinach and Popeye. They just keep getting more animated and more emotive, and it doesn't affect the performance. It's unreal. It also fits the hard rock party band kind of thing. Once shots happen, though, it gets messy. I think the end goal, though, is how you make that work with your venue and your crowd. Some towns party harder than others, ya know?

• Members

I generally stick with beer, preferably draft. 1 after I am set up and nurse it through first set. One for each set after that. 3 beers over the course of a night gets me mildly buzzed at best. I have overindulged and don't like trying to play while drunk. I also usually have a coffee going during setup. I am fairly new to a modern country band and have had to learn a lot of guitar parts in the last half year. The coffee helps me remember them. Sort of counteracts the 420 I puff before a gig... but that should be the subject of another thread.

• 1 month later...
  • Members

The only thing I drink on the gig is hot tea.

I play sax, guitar, flute, wind synth, sing, work two computers, and analyze/pace the audience. I need all my facilities for that.

Warm tea is good for the throat (singing) while cold drinks and alcohol can lead to vocal chord damage.

If people offer, I thank them but decline, telling them that I can hold my liquor, but my fingers cannot.

Insights and incites by Notes

• Members

I'll happily drink away at someone else's show, or socially at band rehearsal. At my shows, unless it's more than 2 hours to when I go on, I'll have maybe one beer -- there's too much technical stuff I have to get right to risk blurring it. I just suck it up and live on Diet Coke on show nights.

• Members

Our dad/hobby band always drinks on stage. We have never had a problem with drinking while on stage. Been with these guys for years and they never get drunk. Except that there is often eight of us up there and can be a little messy with cans, bottles, cords, the snake, monitors, etc. Our bassist often brings his own bottle of vodka with him on stage. Many times, the wait at the bar can be more than ten minutes between sets.

Archived