Why point the guitars away from the singer?

WynnD

• Members

I've seen it time and time again. When a band has at least one lefty and a righty guitarist and bassist, why point both instruments away from the singer. Stage wise it seems to me that having the audience's eyes drawn to your lead vocalist should be a visual plus. If you had all the guitars aimed at your singer, the eyes would follow in that direction naturally. Properly done, there shouldn't be any adverse affect upon the sound.

• Replies 118
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members
I can understand on a crowded stage' date=' but when space is available? I really like the visuals of pointing the audience towards the singer.[/quote']

Even when space is available, the outside guitarists are always going to move towards each other and towards the singer at some point. Accidents will happen.

I'm a right handed guitarist on stage right. So being conscious of where the singer is while I'm playing guitar is always a concern. I always have to make sure my moves aren't in the way. The guitarist on stage left doesn't have that concern.

As far as "pointing the audience towards the singer"? Meh. I don't see it. And I agree that two outward-pointing necks are a better 'frame'.

Besides, John and Paul always did it that way. Who's gonna argue with them?

20141211030033a40.jpg

• Members
One of my former singer had a band that also did the splitting guitars. I've always found that distracting and in her case it took your eyes off a very pretty lady.

If you're more interested in guitar necks and headstocks than the very pretty lady in the center, then I can't help you. :D

• Members

i don't want to bonk our singer into her hips when i move while playing.

i don't want if i bonk her, to detune my guitar

where my head stock is, i need some freedom to move, otherwise i feel myself restricted and uncomfortable.

if there is a mic stand or anything else in the way, my comfort already suffers

being a lefty guitarist and having a righty bassist, there was never a discussion, he is standing left i am standing right.

only if the bands before or after us sharing the stage setup otherwise, we have our setup.

if forced doing the opposite, i need much more space, or i am being uncomfortable always fearing to knock anything with my guitar neck.

and being uncomfortable on stage results in a much worse performance than if the layout/framing you name it of the people of the stage looks wrong for the audience

• Members

I'd rather work with someone who didn't have to be told to turn down. There almost isn't such a thing as too low a volume for small to moderate clubs. I've played R&R at volumes where you could hear the people talking. Funny thing is, people would come in the club and not leave until we were done. Place always ended up being packed by night's end.

• Members
I'd rather work with someone who didn't have to be told to turn down.

And others would probably rather work with someone who isn't telling them to turn down all the time.​

One of the issues with working with a band is you have multiple persons who all have different needs, desires, and their own ideas of what works best for them.

IEMs give you the best option to do as you please within your own environment. And it reduces the need for any individual member to feel he needs an overly loud stage volume. I used to have a problem with my bass player constantly being way too loud on stage. But he insisted he needed to "feel" it to a certain degree. I get that but...still....too loud is too loud and everyone else turns up to match his level. Volume wars.

We switched to IEMs. He runs direct into the board via a pre-amp. Keyboards are now run direct. Guitarist plays very quietly through a small amp. Only stage volume, really, is drums and cymbals which no longer destroy my ears because my ears are protected. Everyone turns up as loud as they want or not. My bass player still complains of his ears ringing after a gig sometime. Mine don't. He still wants everything blasting in his ears? That's HIS choice.

Not to mention we're no longer dragging around a buttload of heavy stage amps, speakers and monitors anymore. At my age, the less gear the better. ​

Not a perfect solution, but nothing is ever going to be. Considering all the time you've spent complaining about other musicians playing louder than you prefer, it's something you really ought to consider.

• Members

I've got IEMs, but have barely used them. I might use them this Saturday for solo channel monitoring. (Done that before.) I think one of the things that really bugs me is when a guitarist who plays too loud won't aim that damn amp at their own head. And also drummers who refuse to learn how to play softly and sound good. (That is a great skill to add to a person's toolbox.)

• Members

Apparently I didn't make myself clear. Told you I don't like working with loud musicians. Don't have any interest in it at any level and I personally think that more bands have lost gigs because of being TOO LOUD than have lost gigs for just not being very good. But I have seen it time and time again where a guitarist who is too loud won't aim the God Damn Amp at his own head. (And not even in a band I'm playing in.) They apparently have been told somewhere along the line that they needed to be louder and they don't understand how sound works enough to figure out what that actually means so they turn up to screaming level. (And that might not even cure the problem.)

• Members
Apparently I didn't make myself clear. Consider using IEMSs and run instruments direct. Thereby eliminating stage volume altogether.

Or a variation, with or without "loud" guys, doesn't matter: run instruments direct, even without IEMs. Pedals or similar for effects, if necessary. Monitors can face whomever...

Load-in/out gets easier, too, and transport vehicle can get smaller.

-D44

• Members

Or a variation, with or without "loud" guys, doesn't matter: run instruments direct, even without IEMs. Pedals or similar for effects, if necessary. Monitors can face whomever...

Load-in/out gets easier, too, and transport vehicle can get smaller.

-D44

Yep. With the quality of processors available today, there's really no reason for big loud amps on stage anymore. Let the PA do the work. That's what it is for.

If you need to somehow be enveloped in sound and volume, then go to IEMs or, like you say, have a monitor pushing back against your face. But no reason to subject the rest of the band to it. Or the audience. Plus it only makes the out-front sound worse and more work for the sound guy.

Archived