My crazy idea for a band

gismo recording

• Members

Two keyboards, bass, drums, and vocals. No guitars.

Whadaya think?

Here's a jam on the chords in the song title with me on organ and my friend AJ on piano.

I think if we could get a drummer and bassist to join with us we could have a pretty good band both me and AJ have a few originals. Add some covers that everybody likes and we have two sets of material. I don't know if we will need a vocalist or not. I'm pretty good at singing my originals and carefully selected covers. AJ sounds good on his originals. I haven't heard him sing anything else.

So now to post a craigslist ad for drummer and bassist

• Members

In the 60s, the Crazy World of Arthur Brown had a top 10 hit without a guitar. (Was the only one that decade.) Lee Michaels best album was just him on a great sounding B3 and Frosty on Drums. Great sound there too. It can be done. I'm not anti-guitar, but sometimes it hard to get someone who plays at rational levels.

• Members

We have two keyboard players... we handle a lot of synths, piano, horn arrangements, organ that most bands wouldn't fill in or would track. But we wouldn't think of doing it without guitar

Um... it's an interesting concept. Not sure there's really a market for a band that plays originals/covers without guitar or a front person. But you no doubt play in a different market than me.

• Members

Depends on genre and size of the band. Jazz, R&B, and oldies rock tunes are mostly keyboard based. Blues and post-Hendrix rock are mostly keys optional. I played in a keys/drums duo in college. Mostly R&B; highly successful. I also played in a top 40 horn band where the guitar chair was sometimes empty. We actually had a third horn as an alternative sixth man for a while. Venues didn't seem to mind.

The main issue is whether or not your audience expects you to try to replicate the songs you're playing. I'm currently working on a solo/duo repertoire covering a wide variety of material. I learn a lot of signature lines, but beyond that, I don't think people expect a carbon copy, especially given that most of my songs are classics that have been covered by many artists.

Listen to the "bar gig" samples: http://www.soudcloud.com/seniorblues

• Members

From a visual aspect, the guitarist in my band is essentially a non-entity. Guitar is a big part of our sound, but honestly, if we were to replace the guitar with a second keyboard, I don't think the audience would care. As long as the sound was still as big and full.

Song list would change somewhat though, obviously. Would certainly limit repitoire. But there are always other songs/arrangements out there.

Archived