90s songs

Austincowbell

• Members

So, in addition too my mashup band I'm now in a 90s band... We have about 50 songs in the setlist with 10 backups but I keep getting surprised by songs we think will be ok filler but actually kill. I'll list some huge hits for us and if any of you have suggestions that would be awesome

backstreet boys/n-sync - anything from either of these bands kill. every single time. We do Bye Bye Bye, Everybody and Tearin Up My Heart and they go over with any crowd from 20 year olds to 40 year olds.

Plowed by Sponge - We started playing this at rehearsal and then actually learned it and we played it this weekend as the "one more song" encore and the crowd went crazy. Who knew?

Friends in Low PLaces - duh

Kiss From a rose - we rock it out a little more but everyone sings along at the chorus as if Seal had written it for them personally

Small Things/Damnit - Poppy Blink 182 goes over every single time

You Outta Know - IF your singer can nail this song it is amazing. Especially the part where the whole crowd yells "when you....{censored} her"

Wannabe - Can a group of dudes cover a spice girls song? Yes, yes they can and it kills and its actually a lot of fun to play

The Sign - Ace of Base were apparently the best songwriters of their generation

Teenage Dirtbag - You were insecure in high school? I was insecure in high school. Lets all sing about it.

What's Up - Who knew that every girl on the planet knows all the words to this song? We do. Now.

Iris/Don't wanna Miss a thing/Jumper - Slow sing-a-longs.. everyone will sing a long. One couple will awkwardly try to slow dance and makeout and make it weird for everyone.

your turn...

• Members

Yeah, the 90s are the new 80s. Girls in clubs know every word to "What's Up" because it was on the radio CONSTANTLY when they were young.

Good to see you back Austin.

I forgot about "The Sign". I think I'm gonna queue that one up for my band to learn very soon. Would kill for us, I think.

• Members

I'm working on a band that does a ton of `90s/ early `00s tunes to tracks; lots of 90s hip-hop, boy bands, etc. I can't wait to get that going, but no bass player wants to seem to want to play the repetitive licks over and over. Jerks!

• Members

Wow how time moves on.

I like a lot of 90's bands

How about some alt pop stuff like

The Posies - Golden Blunders

Semisoncs- Closing Time

Teenage Fan Club The Concept

Gin Blossoms

Beck

Lenny Kravitz

Matthew Sweet

Weezer

There's so many ways this 90's band thing could go.

Personally I give a Spice Girls tune a whirl, or maybe an early Britney Spears song. Cover it and make it yours.

Those are the big one that folks remember.

• Members

We just pulled an all 90's set we had (first set which had 311, Sublime, Goldfinger, Toadies, Presidents of the United States, Green Day). It wasn't that the set was doing that badly... but the hi hop, dance and novelty songs just performed so much better.And face it... songs do much better in the 2nd and 3rd set when the audience is lubed up.

We're not trashing the set, but we are pulling out a bunch of songs that are just filler. This song is staying though. One of my favorites to play.

[video=vimeo;138042773​]

• Members
For what we do, the dance/pop

stuff works much better than rock stuff would.

Our 90s medley is (right now) Push It/Pump Up The Jam/Whoomp There It Is/Gonna Make You Sweat/Wannabe/Groove Is In The Heart/Bust A Move.

Its very strong for us early in the 2nd set

It really depends the market you in, the audience you play for and the size of the venue. Also the market. Austin's setlist is full of nostalgia and guilty pleasures. BSB, nSync, Spice Girls... if you can pull off material like that (even as parody) you'll own the audience. Personally I find that 90's alt rock songs go over well in smaller spaces... audience in early 30's loving nostalgia. pack 50 people together in a tight room and bang out some Green Day, Blink and Sublime and the whole room is rocking. But in a bigger space to a wider audience of various ages, alt 90's just doesn't have the lift. We tried doing a 90's tribute last Fall and it failed. Primary reasons was the lack of a dynamic frontman and the song choices (Gin Blossoms and Live will get people dancing, but it doesn't really scream 'party'). This new band was a hybrid of setlists from the 90's band along with the previous party band.... and the party band material as cheesy as it is, just wins over.

• Members
So, in addition too my mashup band I'm now in a 90s band... We have about 50 songs in the setlist with 10 backups but I keep getting surprised by songs we think will be ok filler but actually kill. I'll list some huge hits for us and if any of you have suggestions that would be awesome

backstreet boys/n-sync - anything from either of these bands kill. every single time. We do Bye Bye Bye, Everybody and Tearin Up My Heart and they go over with any crowd from 20 year olds to 40 year olds.

Plowed by Sponge - We started playing this at rehearsal and then actually learned it and we played it this weekend as the "one more song" encore and the crowd went crazy. Who knew?

Friends in Low PLaces - duh

Kiss From a rose - we rock it out a little more but everyone sings along at the chorus as if Seal had written it for them personally

Small Things/Damnit - Poppy Blink 182 goes over every single time

You Outta Know - IF your singer can nail this song it is amazing. Especially the part where the whole crowd yells "when you....**************** her"

Wannabe - Can a group of dudes cover a spice girls song? Yes, yes they can and it kills and its actually a lot of fun to play

The Sign - Ace of Base were apparently the best songwriters of their generation

Teenage Dirtbag - You were insecure in high school? I was insecure in high school. Lets all sing about it.

What's Up - Who knew that every girl on the planet knows all the words to this song? We do. Now.

Iris/Don't wanna Miss a thing/Jumper - Slow sing-a-longs.. everyone will sing a long. One couple will awkwardly try to slow dance and makeout and make it weird for everyone.

your turn...

The funny thing is, thinking about it... 10 years ago we were playing the songs above BOLDED mixed in with a bunch of 80's tunes and they absolutely killed. Then about 5 years ago the pressure was on to be all top 40 and alot of those gems fell by the wayside. Now bringing them back is a whole new level of nostaglia.

I'll throw in "Time Bomb" and "Ruby SoHo" from Rancid.

"Semi Charmed Life" has always been a little hit or miss.

"Hey Jealousy" total filler.

Of course 90's hip hop is still hugely popular.

We do Jump Around HOP

Put Your Hands Up: Fatman Scoop

Humpty Dance-

Baby Got Back-Sir Mix A Lot

Intergalatic-Beastie Boys

Insane In The Membrane-Cypress Hill

All get big response!

• Members

Hard to admit, but I was in a full time top 40 band in the nineties. We did a mix of pop, rock and dance stuff.

Just some of the songs that stayed in heavy rotation: Two Princes by the Spin Doctors, any Ace of Base songs She's Got The Look by Roxette, Mr. Jones by Counting Crows, Love Is by Alannah Myles, Love Is A Highway by Tom Cochrane, the dance version of What's going On, Are You Gonna Go My Way by Lenny Kravitz and so on. Green Day was big too. In a pop/rock club we would often end the night with Should I Stay or Should I go (Clash from the eighties) and maybe an encore of What I Like about You by The Romantics. For quite a few years we started the evening with Crush of Love by Joe Satriani.

We also did a lot of big hits, but short lived songs like Funky Cool Medina, stuff by CC and The Music Factory, Everybody Everybody by Black Box, Keep Them Separated by Offspring, Bobby Brown tunes.... Although, Prerogative stuck around for a long time.

Back in the late eighties and throughout the nineties, gear was a major factor. We had a $40k plus PA and light show with a one ton truck. Our keyboard player had $30k worth of gear (with a monitoring system that would suffice for most current weekend warrior's PA) and I ran two Fender HM Strats into one four and an eight space rack going to a Marshall cab. I also had a Roland keyboard and an additional sound module for the dance stuff. The bass player also had a keyboard for all the Ace of Base and other dance stuff as it didn't really cut it on the bass. Yep, the good old days. Ten years of six or seven nights a week, maybe a week off every couple of months, party time on the road. I guess all I've got to show is my old dinosaur gear, and some hearing loss - and a few good stories to tell...

One of the big hits for viewers outside of Canada

[video=youtube;vQOrMzBewG0]

• 2 weeks later...
  • Members
We recently added "Banditos" by The Refreshments. It's a hell of a of fun to play and people like it. And it sounds way awesome with significant Hammond content added.

Wes

I've always wanted to play that one but have always thought it would be a floor clearer.

• Members

I'm playing it next Friday night and I plan to videotape that show. I guess we're going to find out. :) I never seem to be able to remember what clears the floor if I don't have video to fall back on. Except, I know our too-long intra-song time does it every time. That's been my main harping point for a while. We're getting better at it. I wish we did medleys.

Wes

Archived