Top 40: Anything new since Uptown Funk worth picking up?

New Trail

• Members

Not really.... We picked up Cheerleader and Honey I'm Good. Both songs get a good response but nothing earth shaking. Uptown Funk is really the only new hit that draws the entire room toward the stage. But that's OK... there are plenty of great songs to cover that weren't released this year. ;)

• Members

Two new(ish) songs I'm planning to add in the next couple of weeks are Jason Derulo's "Want To Want Me" and Maroon 5's "Sugar". I expect them to work well in our sets, but I don't expect "Uptown Funk" type results which is one of those "once a year or so" songs that comes around and can seemingly do no wrong.

Also going to go back and pick up Taylor Swift's "Shake It Off" which apparently has much more legs than I first thought it would and we should have been doing that one months ago.

One thing about most of the new songs---should you work 'em up and they fail, you've really only lost 15 min or so from your life. lol.

And yeah....plenty of great songs to cover that aren't from this year, but --- at least for us --- there really needs to be a couple of current covers in the mix.

Speaking of older stuff, it's seems the 90s have finally arrived in full force. We dusted off a medley of 90s stuff that fell pretty flat 3-4 years ago that has just been KILLING this year. Funny what just a couple of years and a few well-placed TV commercials and such can do!

For the record, that medley is "Push It/Pump Up The Jam/Whoomp! There It Is/Gonna Make You Sweat/Wannabe/Bust A Move."

Few years ago, this was pretty much a miss. Right now it's probably our best dance-floor packer. Go figure. I don't think we are playing it any better than we used to....

• Members

Shut up and dance with me went over well with our crowd when we added it recently.

Guido is right about 90s tunes. They are working better than ever. With our crowd its not really the heavier grunge 90s stuff. its the mainstream rock and dance stuff.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Members
Shut up and dance with me went over well with our crowd when we added it recently.

Guido is right about 90s tunes. They are working better than ever. With our crowd its not really the heavier grunge 90s stuff. its the mainstream rock and dance stuff.

Shut Up And Dance is our biggest song of the night.

• 1 month later...

Archived