One year on the bench

TIMKEYS

• Members

Well its been a year since the band thing. To be real honest I never really realized much of an energy vampire a band can be. I liked the thrill of the chase , but for now I am just going to hang out and work on the sailboat. I blew a lower shroud on a fractional rig. The mast stayed up and we got the sails down and motored back to the slip. The boat goes up on the hard next week and it will be time to put humpty back together again. The good news is that its almost too hot to sail in july and aug. Its for sure too hot to play outside on the 4 to 7 cocktail show tour. I miss making the music , but I don't miss the tourist business. When the whole scene is within just a few miles its a pretty tense atmosphere. Its nice to not have a horse in the race. I am still feeling short on chill time so if I stretch this no band thing to two years its not going to really be a bad thing. I haven't started selling gear yet.

• Members

A little musical "down time" isn't a bad thing. Both of my projects are in a bit of a lull at the moment ... lost our long standing bass player to an out of state relocation in one project, have several members who are struggling to make time while they're dealing with health concerns (either their's or someone close to them). The net result is that a couple of gigs had to be cancelled ... a few gig offers have been declined. It's no biggie ... after 30+ years of doing this, I recognize it as just being the normal ebb and flow of band life. I'm putting this downtime to good use - and pursuing a few "non-musical" interests - confident that sometime in the not so distant future, something will come along and kick music/band back into gear and I'll be back at it. We've all seen the "Lion King" ... it's just the "circle of life" in action in a music/band sense.

• Members

I am starting to value the down time. Its really nice not to have anyplace you have to be. I did three years in start up band hell,,, ,and a pretty good ride with some good players and a couple acts for 5 years. I am kind of amazed that I could come back after 40 years on the bench to be able to do what I have in the last few years. Its all good .

Archived