Interesting mash-ups?

Dingoist

• Members

Going to try a new one out this Friday -- Eagle Eye Cherry's "Save Tonight" with Iggy Pop's "The Passenger".

It was pretty cool in rehearsal. Let's see how it goes in front of an audience.

We've tried rehearsing Johnny River's "Secret Agent Man" with McCartney's "Live and Let Die" but had trouble with getting Live to sound as good as it could as a three piece, and I've been planning to mix BNL's "If I had a Million Dollars" with Bruce Cockburns "If I had a rocket launcher".

Other good ones out there?

• Members

Some others we've done over the years:

- Allstar by Smashmouth mixed with Closing Time

- Every Rose Has It's Thorn to You Can't Always Get What You Want and back to Rose

- Alright Now with AC/DC's It's A Long Way To The Top

- Superstition with a little bit of Another One bites the Dust thrown in

- Heavy by Collective Soul mixed with American Woman

- What I Like About You with ROCK in the USA (I think everyone does this one)

• Members
For several years we've been doing Save a Horse Ride A Cowboy with Bust a Move in the middle of the song

New country band I just joined does Save A Horse Ride a Cowboy with Play That Funky Music in the middle.

• Members

I run an open mic, and do small cafe / small venue. So, my playing is often targeted around other musicians, and those that appreciate more interesting things which gives a bigger lea-way. I'm not doing bar gigs.

The Save Tonight/Passenger mash up went over quite well to the correct audience, but we didn't pull it out for the community fair on the weekend we played yesterday. That more of a Tom Petty / BNL / etc crowd.

• Members

For a while, a good portion of our set was mashups. However, we've almost completely moved away from them. I don't know if it was our execution or the crowd we play to, but we found that mashups did more to confuse the audience than it did to entertain them. LOL.

Anyway, we have had much better success removing them from our setlist. We do however do a bunch of medleys.

• Members

we do very little mashups... and if we do its not a whole song, maybe a verse or chorus. Medleys though are a different thing. We do tons of them. Our show is around 80% medleys usually 3-5 songs each. A few are a bit larger but 3-5 is average. Keeps the music going for 10-15 minutes at a time.

• Members

Mashups are a tricky business. When putting one together (or even a medley for that matter), I always talk in terms of "taking the audience along on the journey". It's very easy to be too clever when doing these things and while being clever can often be fun for the band and a few enlightened and aware audience members, if you lose the audience along the way, then you've defeated the purpose (IMO)

So mixing genres and eras can be tricky if half the audience knows one part of the mashup and the other half know the rest. Mashing up a Miles Davis classic from the 50s with a new Rihanna pop song might look great on paper, but if the guys in the band are the only people in the room familiar with both songs, then all you're going to wind up with is a roomful of people thinking you messed up their favorite song. Gotta make sure you can keep as many people on board the train for the entire ride as possible.

I've had some great hits with some mashups and some disasters with others. Gotta tread carefully, but when you hit on a magic one and you can see the eyes light up on the dance floor as you careen in and out between songs, then that's a special thing.

I'm also not quite sure when, exactly, the line is crossed between medley and mashup. Personally, I consider it a mashup when we start blending elements together. For example, we throw in a couple of verses of "Jungle Love" in the middle of "Uptown Funk" and then go back to Funk to finish out the turn. For all intents and purposes, this is really just a straight-up medley of two very-similar songs. But I think we start to cross the line into 'mashup' because we purposely continue to play the underlying rhythm and bassline of "Funk" throughout. So now it's a bit more of a 'mashup'?

Similar when we do another very simple medley of "Girls Just Wanna Have Fun" and "I Wanna Dance With Somebody". Would just be medley except we re-introduce the guitar line of "Girls" underneath the last couple of choruses of "Dance" before we go full on back into "girls" to close it out.

Medley or mashup in those cases? I dunno. Semantics, of course, but fun to play with nonetheless.

• Members

Not entirely a mashup but something my duo does quite well is mix Leonard Cohen's Hallelujah with the Buckley version, where we intersperse the different verse lyrics per vocalist (I do the Cohen side, while he does the Buckley version). We do it a bit more up-tempo and has gone over really quite well with a variety of audiences.

• Members
Not entirely a mashup but something my duo does quite well is mix Leonard Cohen's Hallelujah with the Buckley version' date=' where we intersperse the different verse lyrics per vocalist (I do the Cohen side, while he does the Buckley version). We do it a bit more up-tempo and has gone over really quite well with a variety of audiences.[/quote']

The overall, #1, absolute rule to the cover band business is KNOW YOUR AUDIENCE. As long as what you're doing is connecting with the people you're playing for, you're gold.

• 2 weeks later...

Archived