Flash Drive VS. CD's

Potts

• Members

I've finally finished my disc! I'm seriously leaning toward buying bulk flash drives to load up my songs, lyrics and videos. I'd use these to sell at gigs. Everything else will be available for digital download. Thoughts or comments. BTW- I'm broke.

Thanks

• Members
I've finally finished my disc! I'm seriously leaning toward buying bulk flash drives to load up my songs, lyrics and videos. I'd use these to sell at gigs. Everything else will be available for digital download. Thoughts or comments. BTW- I'm broke.

Thanks

The small ones (4 to 8 GB or so) are dirt cheap these days, even onesie-twosie, and probably even moreso in bulk. Even if you loaded up the FLAC/ALAC versions on the thumb drive, you'd probably have more than enough space. Not as cheap as a CD, though.

They're far more durable than discs.

I think the major downside is that you lose some measure of "branding" from a nice silk-screened CD in a jewel case (though how many people actually listen to music straight off the CD anymore, as opposed to ripping it once and then putting it in the closet). As I said above, the CDs are cheaper than the flash drives, but once you put some designs on them, liner notes, a nice jewel case, the price vs USB drives gets a heck of a lot more competitive.

There are places that will silk-screen text/designs onto a USB thumb drive, though, so that might be worth looking into. Would make the USB thumb drive into a continual bit of marketing for you, even if it no longer has your original files on it.

Just what I could think of off the top of my head.

• Members

I went to a to concert once where they sold the actual show I just heard in the lobby on a flash drive. Both the opener and the headliner did it. It was pretty cool. They also sold their discographies on a drive. It's also a nice promo piece as you have a flash drive that's silk screened with the band name and logo.

I'd say if you can get it with your name and website on it, it would be worth doing. Otherwise maybe not.

Archived