Our Drummer Surprised Us Last Night with a Cool New Toy!!!!!

• Members

Our drummer surprised us all last night - and showed up with a new lighting toy. It's a 10 ft x 20 ft backdrop - laced with software controlled LEDs - complete with a collapsible aluminum pipe framing. We were set up the corn of a tiny bar ... yet we were able to assemble the backdrop so that it followed the 90 degree angle of the corner. The lighting effects are fantastic! While we were playing - we used the more subdued settings ... and turned on the more aggressive stuff during breaks. The damn thing even has a white light strobe effect. Everybody in the joint commented about the backdrop! Here's a cell phone video I shot during a break.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/y1bgwq7zf0ega2w/024.MOV?dl=0

• Members

I'm not sure where our drummer ordered the backdrop from ... he said something about it being shipped from Hong Kong. I'm waiting for him to send me a link. I forgot all about the audio! I was only interested in the video portion - so I never thought to turn it up to see what the random audio the mic picked up! You're right - definitely some discernible (and NSFW!) comments there. Sorry about that! :facepalm:

The backdrop is pretty slick though .. when it slipped into "white strobe light" mode - I thought I was gonna have a seizure! From what I understand about the software that controls it - it's pretty programmable (although Dan says it's not the most intuitive stuff to work with!) It's definitely eye catching. We got compliments from everybody we talked to last night. As we were tearing down - the manager joked "Why don't you guys just leave that here so you can save some set-up time when you come back?" (... considering that's 6 weeks from now ... we're taking that as a compliment on the new toy!).

+

• Members

Was wondering what became of you, David.

I've seen motion drape type offerings before, but this appears to have larger lights than I'd seen before. Other versions seemed more like twinkles on a curtain. This is definitely brighter and larger.

• Members

The LED Curtain is marketed under the name "Flyko" ... and is one of those "Chinese direct from the factory" deals. I think this is the link to the specific version that our drummer purchased (they apparently make numerous versions that vary in size as well as density of lights).

http://flyko.en.alibaba.com/product/60061237989-219218123/P18_Full_Color_Indoor_Led_Display_Professional_manufacturer.html

The unit came with the 10' x 20' LED Curtain itself - as well as a controller pack and an aluminum frame (3 base plates with 3 vertical stands - and 2 telescoping crossbeams). The curtain has Velcro fasteners attached to the edge that simply wrap around the frame members.

The controller supports numerous "modes" - and has all sorts of preprogrammed patterns in it. It also includes software that you can program your own with - however, it doesn't appear to be the most intuitive of software apps.

I gotta say - the curtain certainly looks impressive ... and had a total package cost somewhere around the $2K mark. Only time will tell how durable it it.

• 4 weeks later...

Archived