Audition for a band in about a week

chord123

• Members

Well I may have some good news in the near future. I am trying out for lead and rythmn guitar player for a classic cover rock band. Going pick four songs for this audition. "Down on The Corner" for sure probably "China Grove" Probably "R.O.CK. in the USA" and either Behind Blue Eyes or Fortunate Son and maybe "Long Cool Woman". What do you think of the song list? Any tips? They practice at their house they have a singer bass player and drummer they said they said they have played two gigs. Goodbye Stonehenge and the 60 year old rockers with cancer.

All The Small Things

Blink 182

Authority Song

John Mellencamp

Behind Blue Eyes

The Who

Broken Hearted Savior

Big Head Todd and the Monsters

China Grove

Doobie Brothers

Crazy Life

Toad the Wet Sproket

Cumbersome

Seven Mary Three

December

Collective Soul

Desire

U2

Down on the Corner

Creedence Clearwater Revival

Driver 8

R.E.M.

867-5309/Jenny

Tommy Tutone

Everybody Hurts

R.E.M.

Fall Down

Toad the Wet Sproket

Fortunate Son

Have You Ever Seen the Rain

Here Comes your Man

The Pixies

I Alone

Live

Island in the Sun

Weezer

Little Black Submarines

The Black Keys

Lonely Is The Night

Billy Squier

Long Cool Woman in a Black Dress

The Hollies

Minority

Green Day

Mr. Jones

Counting Crows

Smashing Pumpkins

One Headlight

The Wallflowers

Rock in the USA

John Mellencamp

Radio Free Europe

R.E.M.

Sex on Fire

Kings of Leon

Shine

Collective Soul

Short Skirt Long Jacket

Cake

So Far Away

Staind

Song 2

Blur

Steady As She Goes

The Raconteurs

Stray Cat Strut

The Stray Cats

Summer of 69

Bryan Adams

The Kids Are Alright

The Who

Vertigo

U2

Wanted Dead or Alive

Bon Jovi

White Wedding

Billy Idol

What I Like About You

The Romantics

Who'll Stop the Rain

• Members

I didn't recognize the newer material. (Don't listen to much music anymore.) You ought to be able to play China Grove in your sleep. (I'm starting to get tired of that song.) I'd be leaning towards Long Cool Woman. A lot of bands don't get the rhythm right on it. (Might just be my perception.)

• Moderators
You ought to be able to play China Grove in your sleep. (I'm starting to get tired of that song.)

I was tired of playing that in 1977...

To the OP - none o those songs have any real solos in them. If you're trying out for lead/rhythm, I'd probably pick out a few with solos.

Also, only about a third of their list is classic rock - I'd pick at least two that were the newer stuff.

MG

• Members

OK, so here's the best advice I can give you.

When trying out, be respectful, but don't be desperate. You're auditioning them as much as they are you. Nothing is perfect, but overall if it doesn't feel right, don't be afraid to move on. It took me 6-7 years to get into a real working band. I posted many an ad and responded to many more. Some relationships didn't survive the initial phone call and others lasted a few months of practice.

It's not easy to get into a working band, and even more difficult to start your own from scratch. There are a lot of flakes in the world. Unfortunately it seems like a greater percentage than the general population play an instrument.

Lastly, if this is a bonafide working band, be sure you're up for this kind of lifestyle. Weekday practices aren't that big of a deal but there's a big difference between gigging once a month and playing out 40+ weekends a year. I don't know if you've done this before, but if most weekends are spent gigging, your life will change. You'll likely have fewer friends as you won't be available to get together on a Saturday night. Sundays will be spent recovering or slogging through whatever planned activity you have half brain dead.

Oh, and about your audition choices. You should do ones you know and can pull off well, but through the list and see if you know any of the more modern tunes and consider adding one if you do. They do a ton of 90s and even a few recent hits. (just saw that this was mentioned previously).

• 2 weeks later...
  • Members

They have a lot of newer and alt rock and 90s stuff. You should be learn a couple of them to mix in so that you show versatility to match the variety in the set list. I know when we have auditioned people if they can't keep relatively current then they usually don't make it past the first meeting.

• Members

I auditioned for guitar player. I had a few questions for them.

What are you expecting out of me ?

What qualities do you want from me ?

What qualities from me you don't want?

This is what they answered.They want a guitarist plain and simple. They would like to play some more technical material. They are getting tired of the same old songs. They said if your not being able to sing lead vocals this is not a deal breaker. They would want me on some background vocals.

The following is a email from the band.

"It was great meeting you Saturday. You did a fine job. I definitely like the sound you had dialed in for Everybody Hurts. We all like your attitude to music and your work ethic. If you could bear with us until next weekend. I do have another guitarist scheduled and we would like the chance to hear him.

Thanks again for taking time to audition and I will be in touch no later than next Sunday.

Have a good week."

I guess they were not completely sold on me yet cause they want to audition another guitar player. Two of the guys in the band work on software developrnent for a computer place. They both work the same place. The drummer has a 45 minute drive to practice and a 45 minute drive back. They said drummer could not find anybody to jam with in Marshaltown.,Ia He said he quit playing drums to raise a family he is fairly old.They said they don't expect to make money. Been playing together for two years,

They have had two charity gigs at the same club. They also said "We'd like to expand our repertoire, for sure. We figure now is a good time with a change in the band's lineup. Blues, for sure, along the lines of Eric Clapton and John Mayer's blues stuff. We're open to just about any ideas." They said they are normal guys with no egos.

This seems to be a letdown after playing with apart time working band the band called Stonehenge. I miss the people and drinks and glamour playing in a bar. I guess I'll know Sunday if I am in the band or not.

• Members

No I did not get my monitor back yet. I have not tried..

As far as know the singer is getting beaten down by chemotherapy. I don't dare contact him by phone or go to his house he has threatened harrasement charges. His band has no gigs lined up in the future so I won't be seeing him at one of his gigs for awhile.

Funny how this man just takes and not gives back. The singer Marty told me he was getting disabilility payments..His disability doctor told Marty not to get a job. Marty is so afraid to get a job if he shows can work he will be cut off disability payments. Doctor said to Marty if you show them you can work you will and have a hard time getting back on disability payments.. As far as I know this musician been living off disabilty and our money for years. He won't work cause he afraid he will lose his disability. Lots of people like that. Seems that a man that can play in bars once a month and play guitar and sing ought to be able to do some useful work and contribute to society. He does not see it that way. He seems to think taxpayers should pay for his expenses while he lounges about at home in his easy chair. I tell you he takes not gives.

• Members
No I did not get my monitor back yet. I have not tried..

As far as know the singer is getting beaten down by chemotherapy. I don't dare contact him by phone or go to his house he has threatened harrasement charges. His band has no gigs lined up in the future so I won't be seeing him at one of his gigs for awhile.

Funny how this man just takes and not gives back. The singer Marty told me he was getting disabilility payments..His disability doctor told Marty not to get a job. Marty is so afraid to get a job if he shows can work he will be cut off disability payments. Doctor said to Marty if you show them you can work you will and have a hard time getting back on disability payments.. As far as I know this musician been living off disabilty and our money for years. He won't work cause he afraid he will lose his disability. Lots of people like that. Seems that a man that can play in bars once a month and play guitar and sing ought to be able to do some useful work and contribute to society. He does not see it that way. He seems to think taxpayers should pay for his expenses while he lounges about at home in his easy chair. I tell you he takes not gives.

[video=youtube;L0MK7qz13bU]

• Members
The singer Marty told me he was getting disabilility payments..His disability doctor told Marty not to get a job. Marty is so afraid to get a job if he shows can work he will be cut off disability payments. Doctor said to Marty if you show them you can work you will and have a hard time getting back on disability payments.
Send links of him "working" in the band to SS fraud department ;) .

• Members
This seems to be a letdown after playing with apart time working band the band called Stonehenge. I miss the people and drinks and glamour playing in a bar. I guess I'll know Sunday if I am in the band or not.

dont forget, you were more of a roadie and taken advantage of in Stonehenge than anything. Hopefully this works out, it am would definitely be a step up.

Good luck!!

• Members

From the band spokesman "Playing with somebody we like is just as important as being a competent musician." That's what this band said when they asked me to try out for their band . Do you think musicians are partial and show favortism to their relatives and long time friends? It's just reconfirmed an old suspicion. I think musicians are very partial and play favorites who they let in their band. The band I tried out for did not pick me. They decided to use the guitarists father. Old cronies old friends and relatives have a advantage in getting picked out for a band. All the bands I know of have been friends for a long time or somehow related. .Strangers have much harder time getting in on a band. Don't you think so? THE BAND WAS NAMED DOUBLE CLICK.

The following is an email from the band

"We have decided to bring Scott's father into the band on guitar and vocals.

I again thank you for taking the time to audition with us. I hope to see you around the music circuit in the near future.

Thanks again and best regards."

• Members

For most bar bands, all things being equal, if the person is at least as good as the "stranger" then yes, this is likely true most of the time. If you already know someone is a good fit personality-wise, that's more than half the battle.

A while back I was trying to start a band and looking for a lead singer. I'd audition people until I finally found someone and then we'd start rehearsing and that's when true colors come out and I'd find out they were a flake, always late, never prepared, etc. And I'd have to start all over again. Sometimes I'd go through this cycle a few times wasting months. On the other hand, if I have someone who is just as good and I already know I like and can depend on them, then why wouldn't I save the aggravation and go with them?

Try hitting the open mic circuit. Network and make some connections. And don't stop auditioning. I had a blast in my last band before it ran its course and I was the "stranger" of the group responding to a bandmix request.

Try to keep a good attitude and remember this is supposed to be fun.

• Members
Do you think musicians are partial and show favoritism to their relatives and long time friends?

Absolutely they do. And they should! That's life and it isn't fair. In my professional life EVERY job I've ever gotten was because I either knew someone or was referred by someone I knew. My band situation was the exception actually.

Nobody owes you anything. From pretty much all your interactions here, it's pretty clear you don't understand this. Do for yourself and stop being the victim.

1 - Don't loan your stuff out and get walked over.

2 - If you want control then start your own band. Otherwise you get what's out there in the world. You may be in a band with your next audition or you may go to 20 more. Unless they are actively gigging now, the next 2-3+ bands you to "make" will likely never see a paying gig before breaking up. Such is life.

It took me most of 10 years of trying off and on to get into a working band. In the end it was a start from scratch effort where 3 guys knew each other and got 2 "strangers". I was one of the strangers. We met in November and were actively gigging by March. The other "stranger" quit after our 1st gig. Fast forward 13 years and we've not ever had more than 2 weekends off between gigs.

• Members

I admire your persistance. When do you quit pursuing your dream and walk away? Or do you keep trying to make it in the local music scene. Maybe in those 10 years you struggled with those questions,. It payed off. Where are is your band located? Sounds like you have a lots of places to play in your area. What kind of music you play or have played? What instruments do you play? Do you sing some lead vocals as well?

• Members
I admire your persistance. When do you quit pursuing your dream and walk away? Or do you keep trying to make it in the local music scene. Maybe in those 10 years you struggled with those questions' date='. It payed off. Where are is your band located? Sounds like you have a lots of places to play in your area. What kind of music you play or have played? What instruments do you play? Do you sing some lead vocals as well?[/quote']

First off, I'm sorry for being harsh. It's just you never have much good to report. That first band were just a bunch of hosers. As for trying out for others, it's a job interview. How many interviews you can get depends on the job market in your area. I agree with the comment about going to open mic nights. Just like trying to get a job, it's all about networking in your field. If people know you they may think of you. Put an ad in Craigslist, your local music store, and go to some open stages to get involved in the scene. If you have the chops and the right attitude then something will happen eventually. You may even meet a player or two and hit it off well enough to start something on your own.

As for me, though I'd like to think I'm better than average, I was just a singer.... a dime a dozen, and not really plugged into the scene after college. I started looking around a bit after getting married at 24. The invention of the internet let me advertise online and that's where I ultimately found my bandmates. Actually, as a reminder that once it's out on the web, it's there forever, here are a few of my ads. Check out how old these suckers are and note how jaded I got in 12 months..... LOL. Anyway. I run pretty much every aspect of the band and have since shortly after playing out when I realized I'd get out of it what I put in myself. - http://www.nextexitrocks.com

Vocalist for covers/original band (Columbus, OH)

I'm a 27 year old singer (songwriter dabbler) looking for a band. I have a wide variety of influences, experience, and taste, but listen mostly to main stream alternative.

Contact: Sean Zurbrick / Phone: 614-851-1360 / abzurd@megalinx.net

Submitted by: Sean Zurbrick (abzurd@megalinx.net) (Dec 14, 1996)

Singer looking for band (Columbus, OH)

I am looking to be a part of or form a serious band. I am sick of answering ads for talentless hacks w/ cracked cymbals and shorted out guitar cords or 3 year off and on again basement dwelling alcoholic/pot projects. If there are any musicians out there w/ jobs that are looking to form a non head banging group that is run like a business with the goal of playing out after a few months of practice, please email me. I'm open to a variety of formats from oldies to 70's funk, pop, blues, mainstream alternative or suggestions

Contact: Sean Zurbrick / Columbus, OH 43228 / abzurd@mindspring.com

Submitted by: Sean Zurbrick (abzurd@mindspring.com) (Dec 07, 1997)

Bass Player Needed For Mainstream Rock Group (Columbus, OH)

Mainstream rock cover band (Tonic, Gin Blossoms, Collective Soul, Dada, Mathew Sweet, etc) looking for professional looking/acting bass player with talent. Must have similar interests and be ready to play out within 2 months of joining group. Must be drug free and stable with similar interests in music.

Contact: Sean Zurbrick / Columbus, OH / abzurd@mindspring.com

Submitted by: Sean Zurbrick (abzurd@mindspring.com) (Jan 22, 1998)

Archived