Reinventing the wheel

Kramerguy

• Members

Ok, so we're a party band, a bar band. We do nothing but those two things, private parties and bars. I'm thinking of ways to entertain, and engage the crowd- more than just socials and dancing, but more on the lines of like the guy who is the life of the party, I want the band to be that guy - Not just a band playing in the corner. We already do many of the things that most bands already do, but I want more dialogue between groups of songs, and not just "visit us at www dot" that nobody listens to or remembers anyways.

So one thought was the "wheel of fun", where people participate to earn a ticket to spin the wheel (like dance for a ticket or something, maybe even have the band GF's hand some out), but the wheel would be like come up and spin, and some of the things would be like:

free t-shirt

free bumper sticker

Band buys you a shot and a beer

You buy the band shots or beers

etc...

Looking for more ideas to put on the wheel, as well as more ideas in general to engage the crowds.

Whatcha think?

• Members

It's not highbrow or sophisticated by any means, but here are some reasonably entertaining routines/schticks I've seen from various bands:

• Beer chugging race: singer selects two attractive women from the audience, pulls them on stage and gives each of them a beer, and they race to see who can finish the beer first. The ladies in the audience enjoy the "girl power" undertones of the competition, and the guys in the audience enjoy it because the chicks are hot. Everybody wins. (For bonus points, you can also involved a guy in the competition to give it a "girls vs. boys" vibe.)

• The Blow Pop challenge: Singer breaks out a box of Blow Pops or Tootsie Pops and announces that any of the ladies can have one, but with two caveats: they have to come and get it from him...and they're not allowed to use their hands. He holds the Blow Pop down around his crotch and makes a show of it as the ladies try to unwrap it using only their mouths. It gets pretty funny.

• Dirty Limericks: A couple times per set, the singer raises his drink and proposes a toast, then recites a humorous adult-themed rhyme or limerick. The limericks start out being relatively tame and merely suggestive ....but as the evening progresses, they go from suggestive to risque...then from risque to bawdy. By the end of the evening, they're just downright filthy.

• Members

what we plan to do is have our girlfriends/ wives dressed in custom band shirts and work the crowd a bit while we play. Hand out Ostrich Hat bottle openers, schedules, contests for t shirts and other merch. When we can that is... Some of our gigs forbid stuff like that for some reason (yeah its in the rider)

Archived