Forced out of a band.

chord123

• Members

I showed up for a gig or audition in front of live crowd at a bar in Aug. 2014. Knowing only 4 of their songs.Their keyboard player had died and were looking for a 4th member a guitar player. That night they had another guitar player filling in. Well the fill in said I had potential and so I started playing open mike nights for nothing every saturday night with bass player and his buddy singer guitarist they had been playing off and on for 35 years. They were the nucleus of the group. First few saturdays were fun. But then the bartender at the bar who does open mike night with just his guitar started dominating and would hog the stage and we would only get four of five songs in from 8pm-2 am next day. Bass player always get drunk. Neither the bass player or guitar player or singer had transportion they depended upon me to drive them there and unload their instruments. By October had a paying gig they were getting a $100 a piece for the gig and the fill in was getting a $100 he more less knew all their songs and known them for years. I got paid nothing. I was told I was too loud my volume was going right over singers ear. By November THE OPEN MIC NIGHTS WAS A EXCUSE JUST FOR THE BASS PLAYER TO GET DRUNK AND THE BAR TENDER AT THE BAR TO SHOW OFF ON OPEN MIC NIGHT. We would play about 5 songs a night hardly rehearsal. I was getting disgusted so was Marty the singer with the little amount of time we got to play open mic nights. How am I suppose to fit in with this band if this is all the time we rehearse?

Marty the leader in charge kept saying you are the 4th member of Stonehenge, We are breaking you in. He even recorded his 4 sets of songs on tape so I could learn them. This helped me more help then rehearsing at open mic nights. I told Marty I will be ready to play my first paying gig in Jan 23, 2015. Meanwhile he had a birthday party for his mother at a small bar had his cousin play and fill in play there was not enough room on tiny stage for me to play so I sat out all the songs except last four. Marty singer again depended upon me to drive him to a gig 10 miles away in a snowstorm. Again no playing time. Then he gave me $50 told me go pick up kitty medicine for his cat this barely covered the medicine and the gas and he had me drive 12 miles out of the way for this. He is frequently broke won't go to a bar unless he has $20 on him. Has several times borrowed $20 so he can drink beer at open mic night.He has managed to repay me when he gets paid social security disability income. I did all this for a band because I thought I was going be the fourth member..Next had paying gig in December brought my multi track to record show. Marty liked what he heard. Again the fill in was payed I was paid nothing.

Then terrible news our singer and guitar player had brain tumor and lung cancer he had me take of work so and drive him so he could get urgent care. So he is doing radiation. Meanwhile I am suppose to be 4th member of the band was going be my first paying gig. Three guitar players showed up , his cousin and two fill ins he knew for 30 years were playing the show the night I was going be playing my first paying gig. Disgust I felt. . Singer who had lung cancer but lost motion of his hand cannot play guitar anymore showed up with a cane. He said bring your multi track to our gig and tape the whole show. What a lot of work for nothing. I felt so upset again just sitting in the corner behind the multi track while those got in the spotlight. Second night at least I talked them into sitting in on a few songs. But right away they kind of pushed me off. I know I am not wanted. Our singer with lung cancer who I thought wanted me in the group now says Dale the bass player is in charge now that he's got cancer. Is he passing the buck.

I called the bass player why I get so little time I told him I was the 4th member. He said "You were never a member" You don't have enough experience. Anyway they don't have any stage lights for show in two weeks they are looking to buy them from me. Just to get even with them I am going say I sold the stage lights so they won't have enough time to get some. The bass player took my monitor which was at Martys the lead singers house. Should I stay on their good side. If the singer recovers from cancer and is in charge would he call on me to play in his band? Maybe some day they may want me cause I know all their songs. I just don't offer vocals. The lead singer will either die soon from cancer or beat the cancer.. He was my one supporter in the band. Bass player does not support me he says ""watch your tempo your goofing drummer up." I asked their drummer if I was goofing his drumming off he said no. I want to sabotage their show not offer them the stage lights they need. They have caused me to invest hundreds of my dollars in pedal board and effects. Even mic cables and Di boxes. I feel like a fool got suckered and used. What do you think? I think I was not a perfect match I did not sing they were looking for little vocals out of me cause the singers voice goes when he sings two nights in a row. With the singer walking with a cane and lung cancer extremely weak they may not have a singer at all.

Just got this email from the singer

From Marty the 60 year old singer

"i love you brian the and i shall forever be your friend if you wish! we had great tymes together and still can,but i made it clear long ago i needed a lead and a singer to help me out,you sing well, as well as play, but you admitted you have trouble playing and singing that is breaking my heart! we spent much together and i enloyed that! but you cant fill the singing and playing so i have hired frank and deano tober for the tyme bossman.i paid you fer the monitor and want to buy the lights wich you know got a wonderful deal! you said i owe you for this as you say i owed you other money,eric from r place told me and i know its a truth,you went and got the light pole and there are only two lights that work! you keep the pole or leave it on my porch my friend,and i will pay you for the monitor i already paid you for! if you to sell the lights i picked ,and got one good deal, i shall purchase them as wel! my moyhers funeral is Wednesday, and i am devasted, as im sure you would be! so on the 3 march of march we can make this traction! i hope and pray we may still be friends! but should you care not to,keep the pole and keep whatever you have my friend and i will keep the monitor,that i paid for,so be it! im at a bad spot with my moms passing not to mention the cancer bossman! if you are truly my friend as i am yours, this wiil pass! the choice is yours will say note,you needn't call dale, or any one else in this band! besides you told me you have band so i guess you should enjoy your success! i love you brian! and wish you well! your friend in"

So after I told Marty I was going call the police on him.. He beats me to it. He called the police and said I threatened him which I did not just yelled at him.and argued. I just got a call from the Police they said I am forbidden to go his residence be a facebook friend or have telephone contact with him. If I don't follow this they could charge me with harassment. As far as getting the monitor back its a civil case. I don't even think its worth getting involved. They are done with me for good and I am done with them. . I am celebrating. They won't have my stage lights for next weeks gig they are forbidden to have contact with me. They have only a little more than a week to find some stage lights. Left them high and dry on the stage lights.

• Members

This sounds like an incredibly dysfunctional situation.

It sounds like you want them more than they want you. It also sounds like your only real connection to the band is Marty; the rest of them probably think of you as a "friend of band", but don't see you as a potential band member....and probably never will.

They don't see you as part of the band.....so you're not. At this point, you're a hanger-on. You need to accept the fact that you're not part of the band and never will be. You can either keep hanging around and helping them out, or you can look for another band....maybe even start your own band.

I wouldn't bother blaming anyone or trying to "get even". It sounds to me like you bought gear because you were excited at the possibility of joining the band and wanted to prove your worth to these guys.....but buying that gear was your decision, not theirs. This band didn't work out..but you still have all your gear, so it's not like they ripped you off. You bought the gear hoping the whole situation would work itself out....but it didn't happen. I know you're disappointed, but nobody screwed anyone over and it's not really anyone's fault....it just didn't work out.

(Well, except for the monitor. You might talk to the bass player and let him know you need it back.)

• Members

I want to start a band now. I will play their songs so I don't have to learn a bunch of new ones. I will ask their drummer to play in my group cause he knows all their songs and I know them too. Its like stealing their drummer but not really cause they will him too... I will place bass player and singer wanted ads up at my music storer Ooo starting a band is so much harder to get off the ground than being a fill in for an established band. I guess the best way to make connections is to play open mic night. Cause an advertisement for a bass player at a music store is not producing any applications so far..What do you think? Really like to get in a band and quick.

• Members

Your original post was so ridiculous I thought it was a joke. Get away, far away. The exception being, if you are looking to sell your lights, then sell the lights to them. No sense trying to get even. What's that really going to do, other than hurt YOU more. Take their money!

• Members

Several times I have tried to pick up the monitor and he refused to give it back. He said he did not have it his friend Dale the bass player had it. Dale says he does not have it. But Frank the the fill in guitar player says he saw two monitors at his house. I called Marty on the telephone and Marty said he bought the monitor from me which is a lie. I bought the monitor thru a facebook friend with Marty present I can easily use my facebook friend to vouce that I bought it with my cash. I am thinking of going to the police and use him as witness he watched the tranaction. What Marty told me is when he got some money he would like to buy the monitors for $20. They won't give me my monitor back. What do I do about this call the police? Marty says I have one of his microphones which is worth $200. and a stand for stage lights. Oh no I don't. I know I only paid $20 for the monitor but they are mine. They are just trying to get a freebie monitor. What do I do? I talked to Marty on the phone and he said was recording the conversation I got mad at him said I was going pick up my monitor. Do I need to call the police?

• Members
Several times I have tried to pick up the monitor and he refused to give it back. He said he did not have it his friend Dale the bass player had it. Dale says he does not have it. But Frank the the fill in guitar player says he saw two monitors at his house. I called Marty on the telephone and Marty said he bought the monitor from me which is a lie. I bought the monitor thru a facebook friend with Marty present I can easily use my facebook friend to vouce that I bought it with my cash. I am thinking of going to the police and use him as witness he watched the tranaction. What Marty told me is when he got some money he would like to buy the monitors for $20. They won't give me my monitor back. What do I do about this call the police? Marty says I have one of his microphones which is worth $200. and a stand for stage lights. Oh no I don't. I know I only paid $20 for the monitor but they are mine. They are just trying to get a freebie monitor. What do I do? I talked to Marty on the phone and he said was recording the conversation I got mad at him said I was going pick up my monitor. Do I need to call the police?

If they play out you walk up in the middle of their gig, unplug the monitor and take it right off the stage. That's what I'd do anyway. .... maybe bring a friend or two... the bigger the better.

• Members

From Marty the 60 year old singer

"i love you brian the and i shall forever be your friend if you wish! we had great tymes together and still can,but i made it clear long ago i needed a lead and a singer to help me out,you sing well, as well as play, but you admitted you have trouble playing and singing that is breaking my heart! we spent much together and i enloyed that! but you cant fill the singing and playing so i have hired frank and deano tober for the tyme bossman.i paid you fer the monitor and want to buy the lights wich you know got a wonderful deal! you said i owe you for this as you say i owed you other money,eric from r place told me and i know its a truth,you went and got the light pole and there are only two lights that work! you keep the pole or leave it on my porch my friend,and i will pay you for the monitor i already paid you for! if you to sell the lights i picked ,and got one good deal, i shall purchase them as wel! my moyhers funeral is Wednesday, and i am devasted, as im sure you would be! so on the 3 march of march we can make this traction! i hope and pray we may still be friends! but should you care not to,keep the pole and keep whatever you have my friend and i will keep the monitor,that i paid for,so be it! im at a bad spot with my moms passing not to mention the cancer bossman! if you are truly my friend as i am yours, this wiil pass! the choice is yours will say note,you needn't call dale, or any one else in this band! besides you told me you have band so i guess you should enjoy your success! i love you brian! and wish you well! your friend in"

So after I told Marty I was going call the police on him.. He beats me to it. He called the police and said I threatened him which I did not just yelled at him.and argued. I just got a call from the Police they said I am forbidden to go his residence be a facebook friend or have telephone contact with him. If I don't follow this they could charge me with harassment. As far as getting the monitor back its a civil case. I don't even think its worth getting involved. They are done with me for good and I am done with them. . I am celebrating. They won't have my stage lights for next weeks gig they are forbidden to have contact with me. They have only a little more than a week to find some stage lights. Left them high and dry on the stage lights.

• Members

This read has been nothing short of sad. I think my last year of Junior High School was either 1969 or 1970 .... I've had no desire to go back. It just seems so foreign to me when I read about others who willingly participate in Junior High style drama fests like that described in this thread. :facepalm:

• Members

Unfortunately I can't really understand your rambling post that well. However it's clear there was a disconnect between you and the band. They though you were just some dude, subbing until they found the right member. You assumed you were in the band. NEVER assume.

• Members

"Band's Interests: Fast cars and faster women."

Effing priceless... That's douchey enough from a young band. Add forty plus years of maturity and wisdom and you get, I don't know what. Steven Tyler and David Lee Roth can't even pull off that schtick anymore and they used it a couple of decades passed its sell by date.

Archived