Veterans Tribute - selection way off base?

MickeyKeys

• Members

I started gigging with my current group in October. My second gig with them was a function at a VFW post where I’d actually played with another band 14 years ago, but I already digress.

They are always an appreciative audience, I’m told, and they certainly were last time. Being the new kid on the block I was hesitant to make suggestions, but we have the post gig coming around again in about three weeks, and I’ve suggested a couple of songs to perform together as a sort of vets’ tribute.

They guys seemed to like my idea, but I’m beginning to worry about it now.

The songs I’ve suggested are:

“Goodnight Saigon” – Billy Joel

“God Bless The U.S.A.” - Lee Greenwood

(not sure but this MAY actually be called "Proud To Be An American")

Now, I am a child of the Vietnam era; and although my number was never called to serve, I personally think “Goodnight Saigon” beautifully honors not only Vietnam vets, but anybody who served our country in ANY foreign war.

However, I am acutely aware that the crowd we’d be playing it for might not appreciate being reminded of the war.

On the other hand the Lee Greenwood number is a no-brainer. I thought of doing that immediately afterward to kind of take the sting out of hearing “Goodnight Saigon”, which, although a moving song, is also kinda raw on the emotions. . .

I could of course be overthinking this whole thing. I’d welcome any opinions from any forumites with experience in playing these kind of gigs.

Of course, if any of you have served – first of all, thank you for our freedom; and second, your opinions would most certainly be valued.

• Members

I can't speak as a vet, for sure. But I'd look at the basic purpose of the event. If its supposed to be a party, celebratory, and/or a dancing crowd, then Goodnight Saigon is bit of a downer---musically and lyrically. Nice dramatic showpiece for a concert, but certainly not much of a fun, good time.

Thing about Goodnight Saigon is it's not a product of any war era. If guys were sitting around camps in Vietnam singing "we would all go down together", then they might all want to raise a glass and do that again today. But it's a song from the early 80s. And I don't know if it has any resonance for later Gulf War or Iraq/Afghanistan vets either. Those guys might not even know it.

My instincts say "no" to that one, but others might have a different take on it.

• Members

You've encapsulated my misgivings in a nutshell, David - thanks.... Some deeper thought is called for here. I think maybe we'll rehearse it, take the temperature of the room and make a last minute decision. But I'm starting to lean towards not doing it. Quite frankly, I'll use any excuse to cover a Billy Joel song, but this one is looking a bit tenuous now. Just because you can doesn't always mean you should.

• Members
But I'd look at the basic purpose of the event.

That's the question that needs to be answered. Having played many a VFW and Eagle/Moose/Water Buffalo lodges in my time, if this is a specific event honoring veterans you have a lot more room for artistic license. If this is their usual weekly "move the pool tables and put the band in the corner" night, where they gather because their friends are there and the drinks are $2, I don't think I'd do Saigon as a tribute, but I might still do it between the monotony of the standards you are probably expected to do. I'd be ready with another Joel song, though. Not many bands pulling those off these days.

If it's the standard bar thing, there's no reason to not do the Greenwood song. If it's part of your usual list, go for it. It's when you've drawn attention to it and it doesn't get the reaction you think it should that it gets uncomfortable. Remember patriotism and alcohol go great together. If the crowd is feeling it you'll know it and react accordingly.

One thing we keep in our bag of tricks is in the song Toes by The Zac Brown band. In the middle of the song it breaks down to just a guitar and a marching snare part before going into a very partiotic last verse. If I'm feeling it and the crowd looks receptive, I'll do a spiel, "thanking the men and women of the military and their families for all that they do and all that they've done..." etc., before going into the "I thank god for my life and the stars and stripes..." verse. The spiel can be as fast or as drawn out as it needs to be and some times not at all. Knowing the difference between patriotic and patronizing is important.

• Members

If this is their usual weekly "move the pool tables and put the band in the corner" night, where they gather because their friends are there and the drinks are $2, I don't think I'd do Saigon as a tribute . . .

Yeah, I'm inclining more and more to that POV myself. It could just conceivably be the hit of the evening, but as David pointed out, it could just as easily throw a wet blanket over the whole night.

Whereas if it were a Memorial Day or Veterans' Day show . . . but it ain't.

I'd be ready with another Joel song, though. Not many bands pulling those off these days.

No worries there - these guys didn't have keys four months ago, and are starting to expand their horizons. They've begun tossing this one and that one at me during rehearsals to see if I knew them, and now we've got a half a dozen in the catalog.

• Members

Goodnight saigon is preferable to Ohio. (Obvious, but I've played Ohio and like the song. On the other hand, other vets might take offense to that one.) I had never heard Goodnight Saigon and looked up the lyrics. It looks more like a tribute to the camaraderie of the troops. Basic training changes you and the people around you. I like the song and can't see anyone taking offense to that one. (US Army CDEC 1974-77) One other thing. VFWs just want some good music. Don't forget to play some slow songs for the couples to dance to. (For some men, it's the only time they dance with their wives.)

Archived