Facebook LOL

Howie22

• Members

I post all of my upcoming gigs on Facebook. Each week, usually around mid-week, I put out a post along the lines of "I'll be playing at Joe Blow's Bar on Friday at 8pm. Hope to see you there."

Anyway, I have this one friend/fan that follows me on my page. Nice lady, part of a huge group of friends that are all part of the same social group. This particular lady does occasionally come out to see my shows, but it's rare that she does. Maybe once or twice a year. She also rarely comments on my posts. . .unless she has something else better going on that night/weekend.

It cracks me up, because the only time she ever comments is when it is something like "Sorry I can't make it, we'll be at the beach this weekend" or "Would love to hear you, but we're going to a party that night". If she doesn't have anything going on, then nothing is ever posted. Even if I'm playing at a venue that she's never been to, and is a long way from her, she'll say something like "We would be there, but we have tickets to a concert that night".

Funny stuff.

• Members

I get the same things in response to texts. If there's a legit excuse I'll hear it, otherwise no reply. Not that anybody needs an excuse. I am paid for the time obligation- they aren't. But I always chuckle. As for Facebook, I once had a lady who followed only two people. Me and Yoko Ono. That also made me chuckle. I think she's a friend or relative of a relative or something.

• Members
If there's a legit excuse I'll hear it, otherwise no reply..

Not so much about it being a legit excuse, but more about the gloating of "let me tell you about this fabulous thing that I'm doing that's better than coming to your gig"

• Members
Yup what they are RUDELY insinuating is that only if they HAVE NOTHING DO DO is it worth it for them to come see you. Makes you wonder how crappy you really are right?

Well, maybe I'm just a more forgiving person than that, but I don't really read it that way. (Of course that could be the intention of some....) I read it more as them saying they'd love to come see you except they have a darned good reason not to.

That and, in the case of the OP, just want to use the post as a launching pad to bla bla bla about whatever nonsense they are up to.

But don't get me started on Facebook. When the decline of Western Civilization is one day documented as history, the rise of Facebook and how it has helped contribute to peoples over-estimation of their own self-importance and fixation on minute details of their lives may well be cited as the cause.

• Members

But don't get me started on Facebook. When the decline of Western Civilization is one day documented as history, the rise of Facebook and how it has helped contribute to peoples over-estimation of their own self-importance and fixation on minute details of their lives may well be cited as the cause.

Gosh, if that's true pretty scary. What I can't stand seeing (forgive me I'm forty something) these 5th 6th graders have a cell phone hanging out of their back pocket, so they can check their facecrack, tweeter and now instagraham or whatever it's called. The people enabling the behavior is the parents. Our 11 year old constantly asking for a cell ph and stuff, I'm 100 % against it, when I was 11 we had a phone that hung on the wall. It had a phone cord 10 feet long, we couldn't call long distance unless we had permission, heck we even had to share with our neighbors down the road when I was younger.

Up until 4 years ago I had cell phones on and off for personal use and I stopped for about 3 years even having one, the only reason I have one now is cause of the business, and every time I pay the bill I wonder is this even necessary? But for an 11 year old to share lies and drama online? I just don't see it.

Scary if it does go down in history, what's even scarier someday Facebook may own Apple and Microsoft at the rate it's going. Imagine if they started charging each user 10.00 monthly access, just imagine the revenue.

Oh and when the hackers hack facebook and get everyone's email, phone lists and all the other data (bank passwords, etc) then I think people will wake up but until then....I'm not wondering IF but WHEN.

• Members

Gosh, if that's true pretty scary.

Well, the truth is that every new technology and culture change has been decried as the 'end of western civilization'. Television. Rock n Roll. God forbid you combine them and come up with MTV! But I do believe this continuing self-obsession our culture engages in can't possibly be a GOOD thing.

As far as kids go? Yeah....my kid is six. She has a tablet that my sister in law bought her that she uses for (hopefully educational) games and such. Internet access is completely blocked. It was kind of cute a few months ago when she asked me if she could have a phone for her 8th birthday. Fearing the worst, I tepidly asked why she wanted a phone and why when she was 8? It was because an 8 year-old girl at her school had "Let It Go" on her phone and was playing it. So I got to feel like the way-cool dad when I told her she didn't need a phone for that and didn't need to wait until she was 8, and I downloaded the entire Frozen soundtrack to her tablet.

I don't know when she'll ask for a phone (she's already asked for a TV in her bedroom...which she will never get...c'mon...even Mom and Dad don't have a TV in the bedroom...) but I presume that most parents want their kids to have one so they can keep in contact with them. (I pity kids these days who no longer have the "there wasn't a phone anywhere...." excuse for why they came home two hours late....) I presume you can set them up to just work as phones and not allow internet access or block just FB or whatever...

....right?...

• Members

That and, in the case of the OP, just want to use the post as a launching pad to bla bla bla about whatever nonsense they are up to.

Yeah, it's always just about a chance to gloat about what they are doing. It's never "sorry I can't make it, my kid is sick." It's only when they are traveling, going to a party, tickets to an event, etc.

• Members

As far as kids go? Yeah....my kid is six. She has a tablet that my sister in law bought her that she uses for (hopefully educational) games and such. Internet access is completely blocked. It was kind of cute a few months ago when she asked me if she could have a phone for her 8th birthday. Fearing the worst, I tepidly asked why she wanted a phone and why when she was 8? It was because an 8 year-old girl at her school had "Let It Go" on her phone and was playing it. So I got to feel like the way-cool dad when I told her she didn't need a phone for that and didn't need to wait until she was 8, and I downloaded the entire Frozen soundtrack to her tablet.

I don't know when she'll ask for a phone (she's already asked for a TV in her bedroom...which she will never get...c'mon...even Mom and Dad don't have a TV in the bedroom...) but I presume that most parents want their kids to have one so they can keep in contact with them. (I pity kids these days who no longer have the "there wasn't a phone anywhere...." excuse for why they came home two hours late....) I presume you can set them up to just work as phones and not allow internet access or block just FB or whatever...

My two nieces, at 5 and 9, each have their own iPad and iPhone. They also have every other thing possible under the sun.

We have a couple of "family" tablets that everyone shares, and we have an old android phone of mine hooked up to Wifi that the kids can play games on. Still, they don't have anything of their own.

• Members

I wouldn't have bought her a tablet at 6, but someone else did so it's all cool. One thing that's cool is she likes to write her own songs. I've taught her to write down her lyrics but she complained that she can't remember the melodies she comes up with. So I downloaded a voice memo program for her and she was thrilled. Now she can record all the little songs she writes.

. She says she wants to be a Pop Star when she grows up. I guess the apple doesn't fall too far....

• Members

I don't own a cell phone and don't even wear a watch except when I am sailing because I have to pass through a swing bridge that opens on the hour to get out to the bay and the gulf. I can see them for business ,, but one of the great joys of being retired is not being tethered to a phone or in the old days a beeper.

• Members

Well it's a necessary evil with a band. Our demographic is 25 - 65 so it actually helps, at least it's a free publicity too. I don't worry about younger people because my daughter doesn't even use it. I don't get messages like you guys do after I post events and send out invites. I do however think it's a good tool to use. We have about 1600 likes now and people inquiring about or merchandise now.

Archived