Move Remove Collapse

X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Grant - NIAB done?

So I see on Facebook that NIAB (and the new band that replaced it) is having it's last gig this coming weekend. Good run while it lasted, what happened Grant?
    sig? I don't need no stinkin sig.

Haven't heard from Grant around here for awhile. I was worried something like that might be afoot. Hope it's all happening for GOOD reasons!
    https://www.facebook.com/JumpStartYourParty
    http://www.weddingwire.com/biz/jumps...587fe5f12.html

Comment

From their Facebook page (for those who don't have access):

What does M*A*S*H*, The Roman Empire and the Mc Rib all have in common…. Sooner or later all great things must come to an end. And thus are the words spoken by the former members of Nuts In A Blender and About Last Night… two dynamic bands that gave the Hudson Valley one hell of a party for more than 12 years. That’s right, you’re hearing it here for the first time (or maybe 2nd or 3rd hand if you caught one of us drinking)… after more than 1,000 shows, in 7 states, we’ve decided to shut down this music machine, part as friends, until one day we’ll all get together for a beer to talk about the good old days and decide that it was too much fun not to do again. It the memorable words of Neil Young: it's better to burn out than to fade away. We’re deciding now is the time… let’s unplug this Blender until the next time someone wants a giant music smoothie.
      Reasons? Let’s not focus on the reasons. Let’s focus on the FUN. The unstoppable FUN that comes from 12 years of memories… the fun of so many crazy shows. The FUN that comes from getting together with your friends every single weekend and making new friends along the way. The fun of having a band play all your favorite songs, ,… the hits, b-sides, and the guilty pleasures…. and put them all together into one of the best live music parties The Hudson Valley has ever seen. And that’s exactly what we plan to do this Saturday, AUGUST 2nd at Billy Joe’s Ribworks…. Put on a party one last time… To play for our friends who without them we would have never left the garage that warm summer in 2002. We’re calling out to everyone who’s ever enjoyed a NUTS or ABOUT LAST NIGHT show, former members of NUTS and people who have supported us over the years come on out and lets have one last party!

So call your friends…. relatives, co-workers, even people you fought with and won’t even return a simple text to… let them know that the band once known as NUTS IN A BLENDER and ABOUT LAST NIGHT is calling it a night, and our last show together will be SATURDAY, AUGUST 2nd, 2014 at BILLY JOE’S RIBWORKS in Newburgh, NY. We’ll raise a glass, toast to our friends, supporters, fans and let Zippy get on stage to give it one last…. wiggle… wiggle… wiggle!!!!
      I've really enjoyed Grant's posts here, and following his adventures, successes and challenges. Hope he'll make his way back soon and have continued success in his next venture.

Comment

I'm really sad to hear that, and yes, Grant has been an absolutely top notch contributor here.

Comment

http://vimeo.com/102470052

I don't recognize a lot of the band in that video. Wonder what happened.

You still alive Grant?

Comment

A little birdie told me that peeps were buzzing in here. Sorry I haven't been around. It was in part b/c I was so freakin busy... with the band. work, life... but also b/c this forum upgrade was a terrible experience too. I see they STILL don't allow you to sign in and reply to a post... instead you have to go back to the main menu site to log in. (for a user experience I fail to see any improvements) Rant over.

Anyway... yup NUTS is officially over... We came to the decision a month ago (given some important circumstances) and we're all happy with it. We had a terrific run for a long time (12 years) and even though the last 2 years have been challenging we all accomplished what we wanted out of it. It's better to leave people with great memories and go out with a bang rather than backslide in terms of quality, opportunities and pay. Think about it... not only did we keep the band going while in the midst of a vicious fight with a founding member but we ultimately built a better band and raised the bar even higher for the local band market.

So why did we end things after such a successful run. There were three reasons really....

#1 As most of you know almost 2 years ago our singer (founder) left the band in a failed attempt at a power play to remove the bassist (co-founder) of 10 years. His reasons were understandable but the way he managed everything was not. So in an act of defiance our singer trademarked the name and logo of the band two weeks after his resignation. He could have easily used this as a card to come back and resolve matters. Instead he chose to extort money from the band... at the tune of $400 monthly to lease indefinitely or $800 a month to own (after two years). His first action last Fall was to contact Facebook and have our Group removed. We had more than 3700 local contacts through that group, as well as a Band page with 1100 that were taken down. The reasons :Trademark Infingement. So we changed the name to About Last Night. However locally the name change really hurt us.... people recognized NIAB as a name brand and the local clubs especially gave the new name a cold shoulder. However we were planting flags in other markets particularly CT where our name was being recommended left and right.

#2-Both singers left the band for personal reasons.... and both left the band with little notice. As unprofessional as it was (and disappointing) both situations were unavoidable (hint: significant others were involved). To start a whole new search was not what any of us wanted to invest in.

#3- The club economy and privates market is the worst I've ever seen it in 15 years. Clubs have scaled back both on the number of dates and pay dramatically. After four clubs decent clubs closed locally we had one major venue we could depend on. They pushed all bands out to Saturday nights and a 12 week schedule. In NUTS we averaged 5-7 shows monthly... with the new band it was hard to pull together 3-4 shows per month. The only alternative was to travel 90 mins or more for the same or even less pay (been there/done that). Privates were trickling through and to add further pressure on the nightclubs a fair amount of wedding and professional bands were flooding the nightclub market at a deep discount to fill up their calendars. Now you have 30-40 bands competing for a handful of dates.

So a month ago we all got together for beers to discuss the future. We looked at everything on the table and all of us smiled and said "&@%# it" it was a fun run. Why get down in the weeds and fight this. When it gets to a point you are no longer making good money there's little reason to invest more in. Last year we added video, improved some lighting.. revamped the setlist. It did little to get people out on a regular basis. The feeling was at least if we stop playing people would miss us. And honestly I've been waiting for a band to come along and grab the baton from us and set the new bar for entertainment in the area. And I still don't see one. Everyone has side or acoustic projects the could roll into. This was becoming way more work than reward. So we agreed to end it with one last show. Think that could go off without a hitch. Nope!

PROMO

We started promoting the last show just last week. We didn't extend an invite to our former singer and was anticipating some sort of anticipatory response. We got it when he contacted the club mid-week and notified them that they were using a trademark in advertising the show without permission. The club called us in a panic of course and pulled all advertising. We plowed full steam ahead not knowing the type of crowd or performance we would get. We couldn't have expected a better night... we had it outdoors on the bank of the Hudson River. Beautiful night and the club clocked in 2448 people through the door (a normal night is close to 800-1000)Terrific turnout and I saw people I haven't seen in 5-6 years. Joe... the core group was on stage. Our drummer had another band commitment for the night so we called back our original drummer to play the first 2 sets. He joined us in the third. Our regular sub singer wasn't there so we asked the singer of a now defunct rival band to sing. Over the years both bands had traded players back and forth. Their singer had a deep rivalry with ours... so having him on stage was poetic. Funny how things come full circle. He filled in with us a year ago.

We totally threw the night together. We had no time for rehearsal as everyone was already committing up with different projects so we got together about two weeks ago and ran through songs we all knew to fill the setlist. Some songs we hadn't played in 6-7 years (Jet, SR71, Green Day). The last set was mostly current band material which we had to rely on John (the sub singer) to just listen to previous recordings and sing along. We didn't have time to rehearse at all. It was a '**************** show' but the crowd loved it. To end the night with over a 1,000 people in front of you... most who had been coming out to shows for years was overwhelming.​ You never take that for granted. Honestly it felt like the first real NUTS show we played in about two years.

Bon Jovi Medley

Inside Out
            Last edited by wheresgrant3; 08-06-2014, 10:42 PM.
            so over this signature BS!!!

Comment

I still plan to contribute here... though I plan a deserved break from the local band scene. Not sure what I will do next... I have had more than a few offers to join other bands but really what I need right now is rest.

Comment

Thanks for the update Grant. I always followed NIAB over the years, many good ideas were stolen from you guys.

Comment

Thanks for the update.

Comment

Thanks for the update. Nothing better than going out top. Your old singer sounds like a total ass hole. Nice touch having the rival singer filling in. I'm sure assclown will hear about it. Time for a well deserved break!
                    NO SIGNATURE FOR YOU!!

Comment

The vimeos are private. :,(
                      NO SIGNATURE FOR YOU!!

Comment

No one can see these videos?

Comment

I see them fine.

Yes, nice you went out on I high note! And yes, I owe much of what I've done to upgrade my band over the last few years to following Grant's stories, taking his advice and stealing whatever I could!

Don't stop contributing here. We all need it!
                          https://www.facebook.com/JumpStartYourParty
                          http://www.weddingwire.com/biz/jumps...587fe5f12.html

Comment

Nice bro! It's a shame your old singer had to be such a petty arsehole, little crying fargen beotch!!! Take a break and i'm sure the fire will return and you'll be back. Aloha!!...for now.

Comment

can you elaborate on what your former A**hole, uh, lead singer, did to copyright the name? So that facebook would take the page down? I have my band name registered with the secretary of state in Ohio, but no where else. I do not have the logo trademarked. In other words, how can I prevent what happened to you from happening to me? If I recall, registering a trademark on the federal level is a thousand dollars and up.

Comment

Working...
                              X