Is it it any wonder that Bands fail to thrive?

rocket888

• Members

I cannot believe how downright foolish some bands/duos are when notifying people of their gigs, usually on Facebook.

Over and over, I see postings such as, "We're at the XXXX bar tonight", with no mention of times, and/or the address

of the club. This is in a beach and vacation area where literally tens of thousands of people visit every month. Yet these

bands think everyone knows where this XXXX club is, (despite the fact that bars change ownership and names fairly

frequently), and also are clairvoyant and know what time the band starts.

One band that I like to see recently posted that "Its five days until we play again at the XYZ club"...so I have to

find out when the stupid message was posted, and do the math.

A few times, I have replied on FB with "What time do you start" or "What is the address of the Club", and only about

half of the time does anyone bother to reply with the answer, and almost always, when the next gig is posted, the same

band makes the same omissions.

Yeah, I know, musicians are flaky, but this is stupid, and so easy to fix.

End of rant.

• Members

It's not just bands, it's a lot of establishments too. I have lost count of the number of times lately I have arrived at an open mic to find it cancelled. No notification on facebook or the venues web site, just nothing.

If you as a business are on social media then use the bloody thing, especially when you have a regular spot and then it's cancelled for some reason. I don't mind it being cancelled but at least tell someone!

• Members

Vermoulian: I know why cause they don't want that info put on there publicly. Take it from someone who works in the "finance" field as a side job, chuckle. Especially applies to post above regarding frequent change of ownership. :)

• Members

Wasn't there a thread a while back, something like, "Does anyone know that you're playing tonight?" I was reminded of this the other day, a friend's band had a show and I only found out about it a week later when I met him at another show and asked when he was playing again.

• Members

In my other life, I work with a lot of marketing types and it blows me away how at marketing conferences the stuff they talk about (keynote speakers) is really very basic. Big brands still don't have a handle on the social/modern marketing thing (some do, though, and boy do they)...

You've got to set up a gig in advance for your audience. Tease them with it, then when the time is right, tell them all about it (just not too much). I am far from perfect at the marketing aspects, but as soon as I have a confirmation, I put all the information (date, time, place, bands, anything else you need to know about the gig/venue) in a post, then I allude to it for a bit until it becomes prime time to remind you.

The balancing act is to not just do self-promoting gig posts, but most bands/musos aren't as good at doing the 'non-gig' posts. You have to get creative, try sme things out (we did 'getting to know the band members' posts and 'rig rundown' posts and silly questions (as long as they are somewhat relevant to music/band/rock and roll.... nothing I hate more than posts that are just supposed to generate bull{censored} traction)...

But yes, I agree. it is a lot sad how some people try to 'advertise'... and they wonder why the room is empty and the promoter is pissed...

• Members
I'm amazed how many clubs and restaurants have a web site that does not list their address.

We always put the address on our gig posters because of that! We always list date / time / address on our announcements for the same reason. So many establishments don't have the most basic info on their FB page or website.. it's almost comical at how stupid many businesses are... and then they complain when their business fails...

• Members

Kills me when I contact a venue for info to make posters ahead of time for the gig........and the venue does not get back with you. Its as if they want your band and the venue to fail. We have a gig on the 4th of July that could be a great gig, but have not even heard what the starting time is, if there is a cover charge, drink specials or?? My bandmates always tell me its not my job to advertise for them...but I see it as a two way street. I do what I can from our side....I like playing when theres good crowds........maybe its not that important to some?

• 2 months later...
  • Members

I used to head a tv on-air promotion department. I always told my producers the most important piece of their promos was what we called the end page. The last 5 seconds where you give the viewers the day and time. In fact, multiple versions are always created: Wednesday, September 12 at 9PM. Wednesday at 9PM, Tonight at 9PM. and finally, Next.

Archived