What New Songs Are You Doing?

dan88z

• Members

We haven't had much time to rehearse but we've managed to pick up a few new songs and knock the rust off some that we haven't done in a while.

Happy (Pharell)- only had 1 gig since we learned this but the floor was packed and it got a great response. I was a little worried about it because it's been so overplayed. Fun song to play, we have some good harmonies worked out and I'm using the vocoder in my Roland to do the female choir "happy happy happy happy" line along with a funky old Rhodes sound and some hand claps.

Ain't It Fun (Paramore) we'll break this out Saturday for the 1st time. It'll be interesting to see how it works. I have some nice keyboard parts on it and the other guys have some good background vocals.

Tears of a Clown- we do some events where there is an older crowd so we learned this one. We're doing Uptight by Stevie Wonder to lead into it. After the 2nd horn break in Uptight we hit the intro to Tears and then play out the whole song. More fun keyboards, with a horn section with a trumpet section layer for Uptight and a piccolo/celeste layer for Tears. Hammond organ for the background chords.

Dusted off- What a Fool Believes (Doobies). We did this for a long time as a 1st set "attention getter".

Who Knew (Pink) our singer kills this song and we haven't played it for a while. It always goes over well for us.

Tell Me Something Good (Chaka Khan) another showcase for our singer and a fun song for the band to play.

Some other stuff we've learned in the last couple months, but not sure if I posted any of it in other "new song" threads

Shake Your Body and Billie Jean- we do these back to back and the dance floor gets packed.

I Love You More Today (Spiral Staircase) another good one for our singer to soar on.

Get Lucky (Daft Punk) goes over well and I get to do the robot voice with the vocoder lol.

Set Fire to the Rain (Adele) killer song for our singer, great dynamics with the band. Jaw dropper for the crowd when they hear her knock this one out of the park. I usually put this as a set opener or closer.

What new stuff is everyone else doing?

• Members

Our most recent songs played out that have worked really well:

Party in the USA - way way late to this one, but kills

Happy

Counting Stars (when playing to the "adult" crowd, we mash this with The Bad Touch (Bloodhound Gang)

Timber

Let It Go - any show that has kids in attendance, it kills

Runaway Baby

Africa - we put our own little spin on this, I'll have to post a recording next show

New songs for the next gig:

Pompeii - Doing this one at our singer's prodding. I'm not sure how it will go over, but it's played everywhere on the radio

Ain't it Fun - Fun little easy song

Roar - Katy Perry - we rock this one up a bit, will be interesting to see how it goes over.

• Members

We recently played a gig for an elementary school. The students who read so many hours a week over the year got to attend "Rock n Roll" night that consisted of our band and other activities. It was a lot of fun and we never felt more like "rock stars". 200 kids, plus parents and teachers dancing and singing along with every song. The kids were pushing so close to the stage that the teachers had to intervene and put up a cone barrier. Let it Go was our last song. I think the kids were louder than our JBL PRX system! embellishment> It was a really cool event and neat to think that for some of those children, it was their first live music show.

• Members

Everything went over great last night. Happy literally had people streaming from the upper deck area down to the lower deck where we were playing. The floor was already crowded and that put it over the top.

One interesting/funny note- I Love You More Today has always gotten a nice response, people will clap, cheer some, sometimes there are dancers. It's a 1st set song and the venue we played last night, the 1st set is people finishing dinner, getting a little lubed up, etc. Last night the dance floor filled up and people roared at the end of it. It's the reaction we'd been hoping to get and it just hadn't been there yet, but last night we finally got it.

Here's our set list from last night: Set 1

Never Can Say Goodbye

Torn

Come to My Window

I'll Be Alright Without You

What a Fool Believes

I Love You More Today

Reelin in the Years

Songbird

Uptight/Tears of a Clown

Lady Marm

Signed Sealed Delivered

Who Knew

Living on a Prayer

Set 2

Ain't It Fun

Take On Me

Rolling in the Deep

Crazy

I Can't Go For That

Happy

At Last

Let's Dance

Funky Music

Get Lucky

Moves Like Jagger

Boogie Oogie

Shake Your Body

Billie Jean

Set 3

Set Fire to the Rain

Don't You Forget About Me

Faithfully

Cool Jerk

Do You Love Me

Mustang Sally

I Will Survive * audible

Hot Stuff * audible

I'm So Excited

Superstition/Thank You

Don't Stop Believin

• Members

Happy

Talk Dirty (dropped the rap middle)

She Looks So Perfect

Hoping to add these in the next week or two;

Birthday - Katy Perry (not sure if this has legs)

Thomas Rhett - Get Me Some of That (again, not sure if this has legs)

Fancy - Iggy Azalea

Ain't It Fun - Paramore

And a 90's rap medley (still in development)

We've been tossing around a dozen ideas from all different directions - it's just so hard to choose a handful out of the 300 that have been brought up.

• Members
I LOOOOOOVE that song but always thought it wouldn't go over. How'd it do for you?
Went over well, but this was an afternoon party for a charity, so people weren't there to dance the night away. I think people liked the energy of the song itself, plus for whatever reason, I really think we delivered it very well. Will be playing it again for a more dance oriented gig at a night time private party in a couple of weeks, so we'll see how that goes. I had fun singing it, LOL!

• Members
Talk Dirty---we're just going toss in a bit of it into a long dance medley we do. I think it will fit in perfectly right after "Low". Should be a no-brainer.

I wanted to do "Aint It Fun" but my singer tells me she thinks it's "played out already". I disagree, but it's not a song I think would be so strong for us that I'm going to force it on her if it's not one she wants to do much. Gotta pick your battles, lol.

Ain't It Fun is #11 on the Billboard top 100 and it's rising.

• Members

We added Happy back in March and it's been doing real well for us. The song is sooooo overplayed, but people still love it. It's actually kinda a fun song to play. We have 3 vocalists up front (1male, 2 female) and they nail the vocal parts.

We also added Get Lucky, Locked Out Of Heaven, Treasure, and Blurred Lines about a month before and those are all doing well for us.

• Members

Ain't It Fun is #11 on the Billboard top 100 and it's rising.

Yep. I'm sure that telling me it's "played out" was just her way of trying to get out of a song she doesn't want to do for whatever reason.

On the other side of that coin, she was upset that I shot down her suggestion of doing Selena Gomez' "Come And Get It'. Still trying to teach her that it isn't about what songs you personally like, but about the songs that are best for the show/band. I like that song too, but a bit too mid-tempo for our otherwise happy-dappy sets.

Have I mentioned recently that she's 23? lol.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Members

We just added:

Ain't if Fun - Paramore

Sing - Ed Sheeran

Sleeping with a Friend - Neon Trees

Birthday - Katy Perry

We dusted off some older ones:

Fight for your Right - Beastie Boys

Too Close - Next

• Members

My country band worked up Jason Aldean's "When She Says Baby" last night. YAWN but it's current and we will do a good job on it.

We also worked up Band Perry's "Chainsaw". We already get a good response from BP's "Dig Two" and "Done" so I'm eager to see how it goes over. We're doing our best to not lose the vibe of the fiddle, resonator guitar, banjo etc. while not actually having any of those instruments in the band lol. I use banjo patches a good bit and am sawing around on a fiddle every day, hoping to be able to at least play simple parts, eventually. Most bands we compete with cover the new country with a heavy rock sound sound plus maybe an acoustic, so we hope to differentiate.

• Members

we recently brought back a few songs we haven't played in awhile (some over a year). Nothing that's new pop though.

Pour Some Sugar On Me

We're Not Gonna Take It

Funky Music (private party request)

Rebel Yell

Get A Job (offspring)

Mmm Bop (yes the hanson song... and the kids love it...and by kids I mean 20 somethings)

On this list to learn for tomorrow's practice are 3 songs that we get tons of requests for

American Girl

Lets Go Crazy

Sexy Back

• Members

My country band recently added some new songs for us. Blake Sheltons version of Footloose and All about tonight. Footloose is killing it. Also Brad Paisleys Old Alabama. We added a couple of old rock songs Rock this town and Addicted to love which we haven't played at a gig yet. The other band I play with is doing Hallalujah for a wedding this week end.

• Members
Talk Dirty---we're just going toss in a bit of it into a long dance medley we do. I think it will fit in perfectly right after "Low". Should be a no-brainer.

So much for the "no brainer" thing. The tempo/groove of those two songs are too disparate to match with each other. I thought we'd be find a way to mash them together and make it work, but to try and do so takes "Talk Dirty" too far out of its element.

In fact, nothing we have in our set list will work with "Talk Dirty" so if want to learn that tune, we'll have to find some else to learn to go along with it.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Members

Royals-Lourde and F' You-Celo Greene, both noticeably different than the original. Also, Blown' Smoke, Follow Your Arrow, Chicken Fried, Put the Gun Down all are within the last couple years I think. Pontoon, is that still considered new?

Archived