Old dudes, shorts, music stands, baseball cap, & KICKASS

MartinC

• Replies 107
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

That is fantastic. I mean, they're a duo, and they're sitting, and the crowd is sitting politely and reacts with clapping and audible compliments, but they do sound truly phenomenal. It seems to fit the gig okay. I really like, obviously their voices too, but the bass/guitar instrumentation sounds great. Every duo around here doubles up on guitar if there are two instruments.

• Members

I don't know... I think it has everything to do with their presentation. They obviously sound amazing. But they look like exactly what they're doing. It's a chicken and egg thing. Maybe that's all they strive for. And that's fine. But like I said, the audience response is what you would expect from a seated duo in shorts, not from a band that sounds as good as they do. Again though, they're a duo, doing what duos do, extremely well. That's what your niche will be if that's how you present yourself.

• Members

It's hard to say. No doubt they could look better. But in other vids they are dressed better and playing the same place. They could get a few more guys and put together a really good band based on their vocal talent. Get a great female singer, some costumes and they are a corporate act. But, to me, bottom line, the lead guy is a fantastic vocalist, the bass player a solid harmony singer. They can play well enough for the material, and overall, most anyone who digs the kind of music they do would be really impressed. If you look at some of the comments, there are people offering to promote gigs for them in other cities. I think it's deserved.

• Members

SLScott86 wrote:

I know. I play solo. I use an iPad. I look like a guy. I make money. Buy I would never ever ever suggest it meant my band could get away with the same thing. Except making money. That would be cool.

The Ipad is just a modern music stand.   Gigs are what they are and markets are what they are.  You fit the show to the gig.    In a hundred dollar a man scene you give them a hundred dollar a man production because typically its budget that set what they pay due to seats in the room.  

• Members

Apples and oranges.   Chicken or the egg.

Here's my take on all of this:

We all know there are acts out there that are so hot and fantastic musically that it doesn't matter what they look like or what sort of visual show they put on.  

We also all know there are acts out there that put on such a great show that it doesn't matter how weak they might be musically.

But for the other 99% of us?   We're all just trying to find that best blend of elements with which we can be as successful as we hope to be within the context of who we are as musicians and as performers and as people and within the market we work in.

As far as these guys go?   You'd have to ask them.   No doubt they are great musicians.  Their look?  Not so much.  The gig they are playing....?   Can't judge without more information.

If they are doing the gigs they want the way they want and getting the type of money and audience response they expect and are happy with it?   Then obviously they are nailing it.   But if they are hoping for something "more"?  (Whatever "more" might be for them.)  Then they probably have to start looking at things within their act and business model that they could maybe do better/differently.

Just like the rest of us.

• Members

I think it's pretty safe to surmise that their skill in getting gigs is lessor than even their fashion sense, unless one of them owns the pizza joint.
They really could use an agent, or considering the number of views from that one cover alone, a manager. Nevertheless, they sound great. They should dress better and lose the music stand, and stand up and move around though for their own good IMO.

• Members

MartinC wrote:

I think it's pretty safe to surmise that their skill in getting gigs is lessor than even their fashion sense, unless one of them owns the pizza joint.

They really could use an agent, or considering the number of views from that one cover alone, a manager. Nevertheless, they sound great. They should dress better and lose the music stand, and stand up and move around though for their own good IMO.

Its really hard to tell about this duo or what their background really is or their motivation for doing the video.  They seem way too skilled to just be starting out.  My guess its that its not their first rodeo.   I agree that they dont seem to be worried about their look or the fact that they are sitting in chairs in shorts playing.  It may be that they really have nothing to prove if we actually got a chance to look at their bios.   Who knows.  Sometimes you just catch lighting in a bottle and other times you end up in situations where amazing musicans just kind of end up together because they happen to be at the right spot at the right time.  For sure they are crazy ass good and seem very comfortable doing it.  

• Members

vanlatte wrote:

Yea no doubt the average patron walks in, goes over a check list then turns around and walks out after seeing these guys.

The grapes are sour and strong with this one...

I don't think anyone is saying the crowd that goes to the pizza joint doesn't like them.   I'm certain they do.  I'm certain I would.

I don't see any sour grapes here.  

• Members

Uh, no they don't bother me at all. I think they sound great. Where did I ever say otherwise? I agreed with everything you said about them except to say we don't know enough for anyone on either side to say anything definatively?

Why is it that even when I go out if my way to see both sides of an issue you insist on making it an argument anyway?

Archived