2014 is looking slow for gigs for me.

New Trail

• Members

Yup... but it's slow here as well... lack of quality venues (we just had a major room close last month) and slow privates coming in. But I'm not sure how much of that is due to us rebooting the band in addition to a slow season. 

Bars here have cut bands on Friday nights. Actually our top venue has (instead of uding DJ's) made Friday night a 'B-Band' night. They have gone and booked a slew of $300-400 bands who have been dying to play at this venue and what that has done is squeezed the calendar for all of the bigger bands in rotation. Even with a gauranteed draw of a few hundred people on a Friday they won't book us b/c they want to keep the budget low. 

April and May look OK... but we still have a few blank calendar dates to fill. 

• Members

wheresgrant3 wrote:

Bars here have cut bands on Friday nights. Actually our top venue has (instead of uding DJ's) made Friday night a 'B-Band' night. They have gone and booked a slew of $300-400 bands who have been dying to play at this venue and what that has done is squeezed the calendar for all of the bigger bands in rotation. Even with a gauranteed draw of a few hundred people on a Friday they won't book us b/c they want to keep the budget low. 

Man, that just makes zero sense to me. Why would you not want the additional income that a few dozen more butts in seats would provide - even with extra band expense?

• Members

Between my two main projects - I've pencilled in 6 tentative "private" bookings in the past 3 days.  In 4 out of the 6 - they're tentative because we're waiting on confirmation from all the band members that everybody is available.  All in all - this year looks like it's going to be a banner year for my 8 piece horn band. 

The only hitch we've run into this year is that a local microbrewery / steakhouse venue that we had 3 nights booked at in January and February had a pipe that was part of the sprinkler system in the bar - freeze and then rupture - setting of the sprinklers in the bar and causing significant damage.   Two of our three nights were cancelled as a result because the bar area (a room separate from the restaurant dining room itself) was closed for repairs.   Fortunately, the repairs have been completed and they reopened this past Monday.   We're playing there this Friday night.

Archived