Rocktron Prophesy

• 1 month later...
  • Members

I use the original blackface Chameleon & have thought about stepping up to the Prophesy. My Chameleon has Pre & Post parametric EQs which makes it ultra-easy to get any sound I want. Does the Prophesy have this? I would hate to buy the Prophesy, only to discover it has the same set up as the new Chameleon 2000s. Ech!

• Members

Originally posted by Dave T

Prophesy has a pre, post and Global EQ setting. You can get just about any tone you want from very clean to heavy heavy gain.

Very nice! Thank you for the info. :)

Another question, does it have an effects loop? Say for example, if I wanted to run another FX processor through the Prophesy.

• Members

In a nutshell the, Prophesy, Cameleon, Voodu Valve, and all the permutations thereof are the same design. They are just marketed to different types of players. The 12ax7 in the Voodu Valve and the Prophesy is just a lightbulb there to sell the piece. All of the distortion tones you are getting from the piece is from the ss circut not the tube. The Piranaha is the same way. Its just the "it has a 12ax7 so it has tone" marketing ploy. Anyway,, just think... if its mega distortion would you not need more than one 12ax7 to generate the gain need of mega-deth-crunch?

• Members

i want to know more about the prophesy....

well, how it sounds, i already know all its features

how are the cab emulators ? hows it sound direct to disk/board ?

hows it sound live ?

anyone have any clips, or could anyone post clips of a tool, a perfect circle, or afi (new cd only) tone ?

• Members

I have had my Prophesy for about a year. I play in two bands and cover everything from clean blues, to heavy rock in the cover band. I also have a side project which is more jazz/fusion prog stuff and the Prophesy shines there as well because I get to invent sounds instead of copying somebody else.

To give you an idea of the sounds available we cover bands such as Nickelback, Creed, Eve 6, Collective Soul, Thin Lizzy, Pink Floyd, and Fuel. The side project stuff is very much based on Satriani's tone (As a reference listen to some stuff off of the latest live From San Francisco CD)

So having said all that, I am happy with the preamp section. It's a little difficult to tweek and you need to experiment but once you get a handle on it, your flying. The FX are first rate. I'm quite fussy about reverb chorus and delay. They are all great. I don't use the other stuff much so all I can say is that it works for me and some people have said that the pitch shifter isn't great but I really don't have a refernce for comparison and I don't use it except for one song.

Hope this helps.

• Members

Sorry, one thing I forgot...

direct to board is quite good. I was very surprised and have used it that way to record on my Fostex. However for serious recording I still think good mics in front of a good cab make a difference. I have A B'd to test and it was pretty close. I use the Prophecy with a Mesa 20/20 power amp and an AVATAR G12H cab with Celestions so there is a difference in my opinion.

• Members

I have the piranha.

I love the tone very much.

It has 2 12ax7 tubes in it.

Yes, Tuvokzeta9 is right.

The tubes do not produce distortion

That's provided by the circuitry.

What the 2 tubes and the high voltage toroid transformer do is

give high headroom and dynamics. Adding warmth and making your attack more pronounced.

Something that can be missing in a all SS preamp.

The piranha is what's known as a hybrid preamp.

The ADA MP1 and Marshall JMP1 are two other examples of

hybrid preamps.

I use it with a Rocktron Intellifex and Peavey 50/50 tube power amp.

Basically from what I understand of the Prophecy, it's basically these 2 units (piranha & intellifex) combined into one unit.

The Digitech 2120 artist is another preamp similar to the Prophecy.

I just prefer Rocktron gear.

Kent

• Members

I love my Prophesy...been using it for 4 years now (maybe longer). I can get some nice heavy tone from it....I've finally found the sound I've been searching for recently. Using an EMG Pa-2, BBE, and Prophesy, through Mesa 4X12's, it's godlike to my ears. I sold a CAE 3+SE, and a Carvin Quad X....and kept the Prophesy.

- Joel

• Members

Yeah man I love the Rocktron stuff. My friend has been using the Piranha since it came out in 95-96ish? He has like 4 of them. I am hoping to snag a Chameleon pretty soon for my clean tones. I wanted a Prophesy but its overkill for just cleans and I only want to use one rack space. I didn't mean to sound like I don't like the Rocktron stuff... nothing could be furthur from the truth. With out Rocktron all that we'd have is Digitech...:eek:

• Members

Originally posted by tuvokzeta9

and your point is??? Are you from the amps forum too???

Medain IQ=12...
:D

my point is it doesn't necessarily need tubes to sound good; it usually helps though..

actually I spend more time lurking here than in the amp forum. I don't know about medIAn IQ and stuff, that's too difficult for me :cool:

• Members

I've been looking into the prophesy lately also, the prices seem to have lowered quite a bit lately. I've been kind of wanting to get another rack setup up again just smaller than my old one. I can't decide on the prophesy or the pod pro xt though.

Has anyone here played both?

• Members

Ive had one but not for very long. Ived tried the prophesy and the pod pro. Tough call. The pod may have better rhythm tone without tweaking for hours. The leads are no contest though. The prophesy sound very good for leads.

I also have a vetta 2.0 which is WAY beyond both as far as preamp sounds go. The prophesy is the clear winner in the FX department.

• Members

It's all good... The gain is quite tweakable so, if it sucks you should be able to fix it to your liking with the pre and/or post EQs. "Cab Sims" are defined by the speaker size. I've set mine to 12" speakers and forgot about it. But I still do serious recording with a real speaker cabinet.

Archived