VHT? Mesa?

• Members

I'm looking to start building up a rack to play around with. I currently have a Vamp-Pro that I'm having fun with. I want to buy some parts to build a rack which I can use live. The only problem is I'm not sure which poweramp I should go for. The choices are either..

1. Mesa 50/50
2. Mesa 2:50
3. Mesa 2:90
4. VHT 2502
5. VHT 2902

I'm not going to consider anything lower than 50 watts since I like having some extra headroom. Also, later on down the road I'm most likely going to upgrade the preamp to something like a JMP-1, triaxis, RM4, etc (The V-amp pro is just for recording and practice, or maybe if it works well for me I might not need to change anything).

So having that in mind, which poweramp would you guys say fits my bill the most? I would like to stay around the 700-800$ budget, of course the lower the better, but I rather do it once and do it right.

• Members
Originally posted by leelee
I'm looking to start building up a rack to play around with. I currently have a Vamp-Pro that I'm having fun with. I want to buy some parts to build a rack which I can use live. The only problem is I'm not sure which poweramp I should go for. The choices are either..

1. Mesa 50/50
2. Mesa 2:50
3. Mesa 2:90
4. VHT 2502
5. VHT 2902

I'm not going to consider anything lower than 50 watts since I like having some extra headroom. Also, later on down the road I'm most likely going to upgrade the preamp to something like a JMP-1, triaxis, RM4, etc (The V-amp pro is just for recording and practice, or maybe if it works well for me I might not need to change anything).

So having that in mind, which poweramp would you guys say fits my bill the most? I would like to stay around the 700-800$ budget, of course the lower the better, but I rather do it once and do it right.
Either 1 of the 2 VHTs will work. I've been using the VHT 2/50/2 for a while now and retubed it with the new JJ KT77s and its appsolutly excellent.

Tight, clear and very "natural" sounding.

Cheers

• Members

i use vht 290 with my rack setup now and i used own vht 250 and mesa 2:50. Both brand is good but i don't really like mesa's new poweramp line.

2.90 run with kt88 and i upgrade to 6550. Nice clean sounding.....can't get easy to distort the 6550. nice more musical note for me. you can feel your hand touch the tubes.....on fire....

vht 2.50 run with el34, it is a good sounding poweramp, not clean as 290 and it sounds a little bit too dry for me. so i decide to sell my 250 and keep 290. some guys like 250 more than 290 because the el34.

you should try both vht 2:90 and 2:50 before you buy anything. they sounds very different in loud volume.

2:90 have a tight sounding and huge bass reponse.

2:50 ........................no comments........forget how is it sounding.........ahahah

• Members

Thanks for the response guys!

I think out of the batch the 2902 would be best for me. Has anyone tried comparing the VHT 2902 with one of the older Mesa poweramps like the Strategy 400/500 series? Which one would be punchier/more transparant?

• Members
Originally posted by psychodave
Just thought I would mention a Marshall 100/100 Dual monoblock wink.gif
I've wondered about this poweramp too, however I've read that it adds quite a bit of "marshall" flavor to the sound. I'm looking for a transparant poweramp with as little coloration as possible. A poweramp that just adds tube warmth and punch to any sound it's fed to.

• Members
Thanks for the response guys!

I think out of the batch the 2902 would be best for me. Has anyone tried comparing the VHT 2902 with one of the older Mesa poweramps like the Strategy 400/500 series? Which one would be punchier/more transparant?
I've only been able to compare the Strategy 500 to a 2:90. The 500 slays it. thumb.gif

• Members
I'm looking for a transparant poweramp with as little coloration as possible. A poweramp that just adds tube warmth and punch to any sound it's fed to.
The VHT 2/90/2 will work for your use then. just keep 1 thing in mind, its LOUD. it has the volume and power, so just becareful with your ears thumb.gif

Cheers

• Members

hi leelee

the el34s will distort a lot more quickly than the kt88s will. The kt88s allow a lot more clean headroom, especially when you run a lot of low end. So if you're into pre-amp distortion rather than power amp distortion, then the 2:90:2 is going to work out better for you.

I'm in vancouver as well, and I have a 2:90:2 that you're welcome to come try out if you want. I don't have a 2:50:2 here so you can compare....but it'll give you an idea of what the 2:90:2 can do anyways. If you're interested, shoot me an email at ryan@7thsunn.com

• Members

I retubed my VHT 2502 with those new JJ KT-77s and it was a very nice improvment over EL34s. the Lowend became much thicker, tighter and more chug to it. The mids are more cutting and not as honky and the highs are smoother.

overall.. it gave the 2502 more headroom and it made the tone even better.

But it really depends on what your looking for in a poweramp tone wise.

Cheers

• Members

Thanks for the offer Ryan! Unfortunately I'm in HongKong right now and I won't be back until the end of Augest.

Hearing the opinions from you guys, I think the 2902 will probalby fit me more since I already like how the Vamp sounds thru my headphones. I see that the 2902 has a low power switch. If I used that, would I get similar results compared to the 2502? I know it wouldn't be exactly the same since they are different tubes but would the KT88 still give some tube saturation?

• Members

hi leelee,

the kt88s break up earlier on low power setting, but im not sure how they compare to the 2:50:2 in that mode.

you're welcome to swing by my place in august if you're still interested at that point. just shoot me an e-mail.

ryan

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • Members

I have a Mesa 50/50 and a formula pre amp for sale if your interested please go to my website and you can look at them there. www.damnitjim.org click on the for sale link. I don't use It anymore because I use a Line 6 podxt live and my VHT 50 12 combo amp or my new VHT Ultra Lead with a Fat Bottom 2x12. I only use the POD for the effects only and use the amp for the Distortion. There is nothing wrong with them they are in very good shape and work great with great tone. The Mesa Boogie 50 50 Has more Head room then you will ever need unless you plan on playing in an arena or something like that but then you could always mike you cab anyway. Sometimes that sounds better if you know where to place the mic and what type of mic you use and who's flying the board. It always helps when you have someone that knows what there doing with the PA system.I'm not sure how many hours either unit has on them but can't be to many. Less than a year.

Damnitjim
I'm a Guitar player not a Star Ship Captain.smile.gif

• 1 year later...
  • Members
Quote Originally Posted by leelee View Post
Just thought I would mention a Marshall 100/100 Dual monoblock
I've wondered about this poweramp too, however I've read that it adds quite a bit of "marshall" flavor to the sound. I'm looking for a transparant poweramp with as little coloration as possible. A poweramp that just adds tube warmth and punch to any sound it's fed to.
>

I need a EL34 tubed power amp to have some marshall grits in my sound. I tried to find an old 9005 but failed. Now I'm thinking of these two: VHT 2502 and Marshall EL34 50/50. I think the Marshall would be better for a marshall-wise tone, but I'm not quite sure. So what to buy the VHT 2502 or Marshal el34 50/50? Who've compared?

• Members
I'm looking to start building up a rack to play around with. I currently have a Vamp-Pro that I'm having fun with. I want to buy some parts to build a rack which I can use live.
Just keep in mind, that though your v-amp sounds nice in your headphones, it is (supposedly) never going to sound right when you play it "for real" through a power amp and cab's. At least mine didn't sound good to me, so i left it at home to toy around with. It was way too digital and "not alive" - that's what started my preamp-itis

What amp models are you using from the v-amp?

• Members

I've got a VHT 2/90/2 and a Mesa 2:100 power amp.
I also own a VAMP Pro and a few other preamps, including two Egnater M4's which are similar to the Randall RM4's you mentioned an interest in eventually purchasing.
I have KT88's in my 2/90/2 and it's definitely my first choice.
The 2:100 is nice, but the VHT more thump, probably because of the KT88's, but it's just an awesome power amp.
It might be a little more than what you're looking to spend, but not much and it's the last poweramp you'll ever need.

• Members

Hey LeeLee!
I've got a 50/50 and I like it o.k. The goods: tons of headroom, nice fat low end, clean crisp highs and a early boogie tone. The bads: an early boogie tone. Unless you love the Mark II era boogie thing, go elsewhere. It gives everything attached to it a bit of that early boogie "honk". I think that is what it was designed for. I've used the simul 2:90 (had to sell it) and an old 2/50 (caught fire at a gig!) which were both more "honest". Good luck!

• Members

Has everyone missed that the original post was 2006? This is separanets' post that bumped it with his related question.

Quote Originally Posted by separanets View Post
I need a EL34 tubed power amp to have some marshall grits in my sound. I tried to find an old 9005 but failed. Now I'm thinking of these two: VHT 2502 and Marshall EL34 50/50. I think the Marshall would be better for a marshall-wise tone, but I'm not quite sure. So what to buy the VHT 2502 or Marshal el34 50/50? Who've compared?

• 3 years later...
  • Members

3 years later... HEY GUYS!

I have a very nicely working Mesa 2:90 poweramp with recent JJ6L6 that I am willing to exchange for YOUR VHT/FRYETTE 2/90/2.

I want to try the VHT but I don't want to spend $1700 just to try one! If you want to try the Mesa 2:90, this could be good for both of us. Just hit me up at antoine.trudel@sunlife.ca

Cheers

• 1 year later...
  • Members
This is the VHT 2/90/2 all the way.
But it is a bit out of your preferred price range.

Archived