what kind of cable to use in rack

HMKRich

• Members

I used George L's solderless when I had my pedal board. Now that I've made the jump to all rack gear, should I be using something different?

My setup is guitar > pod pro xt > digitech ips-33b > roland sde-1000 > amp. all powered by a furman pc.

I'm having huge problems with noise. It happens regardless of what guitar or pup combo I use. In fact, it happens when the pod pro's volume pedal is at zero. It seems to be mostly from signal path cables and power cables crossing each other. Would heavier duty, larger diamater cable reduce this? Can you buy really short power cables? For only having four pieces, the back of my rack is a major mess.

Thanks in advance.

• Members

I use George L's in my rack and I don't have a problem with noise.

You can purchase short power cords, or even make them. You can buy 3 prong ends at home depot and just cut the cords you have and screw new ends onto them.

You may have an issue with ground loops. Why don't you try laying out your entire setup on the floor outside of the rack and make sure that you're not crossing power cables over your line connectors and see if you have noise then, and go from there. Remove one unit at a time to figure out where your noise is coming from and then work on the problem.

-W

• Members

Even with great cables, a loud, buzzy unit will just buzz well and loudly.

with a strong enough line level preamp signal + efx units that don't make too much noise + quiet pickups = usually not much noise, if any. unless you have outlets and halogen lights that are making the noise through your gear.

I guess I'm saying, cables USUALLY aren't the root of noise.

my biggest tip. plug straight into the preamp with a GOOD cable. This cable needs the most sheilding and such to keep the relatively weak guitar siganl intact and uninterrupted. please don't put any pedals before the preamp, except maybe a volume pedal. or a wah if you must.

• Members

Originally posted by starsnuffer

You may have an issue with ground loops. Why don't you try laying out your entire setup on the floor outside of the rack and make sure that you're not crossing power cables over your line connectors and see if you have noise then, and go from there. Remove one unit at a time to figure out where your noise is coming from and then work on the problem.

-W

If I get back there and tinker enough, I can make the whole thing noiseless. But as soon as I move the rack, I screw it all up. I'm sure it is ground hum, but how do I stop it? How do I avoid crossing power cables and signal cables? Some of my gear is new, while other pieces are 20 years old. So some has power cables on the left, others on the right. I can work in three diminsions and keep wires from touching, but it's impossible to not cross the wires. Perhaps shorter power cables would help, but do I need to be somehow pinning the cables into place?

sorry if I said all that like a retard.:freak:

• Members

You probably have a chassis ground loop issue. You can buy some isolation tabs, which are basically pieces of cardboard that you use for washers and spacers between your gear to keep the chassis ground from one device from looping with the chassis ground from another device. If you have room in your rack, you can also try putting some space between your gear.

Use as short as power cables as possible, and even though crossing cables is inevitable, you can reduce interferance by making sure the crosses are perpendicular to eachother and never parallel.

Also check to make sure that every device that does have a ground (3 prong plug) has the third prong, and that the outlet you're connected to is grounded. Check to make sure that the polarity on all your devices is the same (usually this only includes poweramps and preamps). You can also experiment with the ground lift functions of any of the devices.

Again, re-arranging your rack one piece at a time will tell you which piece is the offender. It's possible that you have a piece of gear that is grounded incorrectly and may need some maintnence.

-W

• 4 weeks later...
  • Members

Originally posted by HMKRich

I used George L's solderless when I had my pedal board. Now that I've made the jump to all rack gear, should I be using something different?

My setup is guitar > pod pro xt > digitech ips-33b > roland sde-1000 > amp. all powered by a furman pc.

I'm having huge problems with noise. It happens regardless of what guitar or pup combo I use. In fact, it happens when the pod pro's volume pedal is at zero. It seems to be mostly from signal path cables and power cables crossing each other. Would heavier duty, larger diamater cable reduce this? Can you buy really short power cables? For only having four pieces, the back of my rack is a major mess.

Thanks in advance.

The guys at Custom Audio Electronics use Mogami Cable to wire my rig as well as the other Super Racks that they build. Do you play near any flourecent lighting? Or have a dimmer switch near the power you're plugging your rack into? I have noticed that George L's and monster type cables are very noisey in and around flourecent lighting. just a thought. :thu:

Archived