Any CAE3+SE users here?

• Members

Ok, I'm in the process of putting together my dream rack (slowly). I finally got the VHT poweramp I wanted, now it's time for a preamp. There's a ton to choose from obviously, and it looks like the CAE3+SE is at the top of the line.

I really like some of the tones that the CAE OD-100 is capable of. I'm assuming the 3+SE is similar?

I'm basically looking for nice cleans and a good crunch channel, but with the most emphasis on chewy, thick singing lead tones (ala Queensryche on Empire).

Other options for me would be a Soldano X series or perhaps a Mesa, Voodoo Labs, etc.

Suggestions? I'm really new to rack gear in general.

• Members

I own both the CAE 3+ and the 3+SE preamps.The older 3+ unit has a unique 2nd channel that is thick and just very hi-fi.The 3rd channel is Pure hot rodded plexi.The SE version has a dryer sounding 2nd channel ad a bit more gain on channel 3.Both have the best clean channels with the exception of my favorite preamp:Bogner Fish

You'll get the same overdrive on channel 3 from Both Preamps (gain wise) as the OD-100 head,but I use VHT 2100 Classic Poweramps with EL-34s to get the tones i like.The OD-100 has 6l6s(or actually 5881s) in it and I dont like those powertubes.

You'll love the CAE preamp-and as stated earlier-try one before you buy one.

Archived