Best way to setup this rack?

• Members

Three ways you can do it.

1) Full series - Guitar into JMP-1 input > JMP-1 outputs > Quad inputs > Quad outputs > Power amp inputs.

2) Guitar into JMP-1 > FX Loop out into Quad > Quad out into JMP-1 FX return > JMP-1 outputs into power amp.

3) Guitar into Quad GT > Quad GT FX loop out into JMP-1

EDIT: input **not output** >

JMP-1 outputs into Quad FX loop return > Quad outputs into Marshall power amp.

3 is potentially the most versatile as it puts modulation effects after the JMP-1 preamp but the compressor, distortion and overdrive effects in the Quad in front of it as you would with the equivalent effects pedals.

Best way is to try them all and see what works for you. Good luck with it.

• Members

tats - assuming you mean the Quad GT, yes it has a mono loop.

It comes after the analog preamp and before the digital effects. It can be programmed to be in or out of the path in each patch.

The Alesis Quadraverb was an industry standard for reverbs/delays/modulation, particularly for guitarists back in the late 80's and early '90s. The GT version was Alesis expanding their Quadraverb Plus to try and get some of the preamp/processor market.

Decent effects section but the preamp side I was never 100% happy with it live in my rig but plugged in direct for recording purposes it sounded great to my ears. I used to run it through a Yamaha graphic eq (Q-100) into a Marshall Valvestate 8008 power amp. All solid state you'll notice, and the eq really was the key part as this made an average rig a good one. Not great but good.

A friend of mine had a JMP-1, Quad GT and the same 8008 power amp. He also wasn't convinced about the Quad at the time and went through an upgrade getting a Roland GP-100 and a Marshall 9200 instead. He traded the JMP-1 and 8008 for the 9200 and was waiting for the GP-100 which was on back order. While he was waiting for a few weeks he praticed with the Quad GT into the 9200 and it was a revelation apparently and he realised that the 8008 was the tone killer in his rig.

His experience would indicate that a valve power stage was far more important than a valve preamp when used in conjunction with a GT. Do I detect a Quad GT, SE-50, three Tone Tubby equipped Peavey Bravos rig on the horizon?

:)

• Members

Gorgan90,

Do I detect a Quad GT, SE-50, three Tone Tubby equipped Peavey Bravos rig on the horizon?

Quite possibly!!

I actually got the SE-50 to go with my recently acquired Hughes and Kettner Metal Shredder. Maybe with this:

http://cgi.ebay.com/Valve-INTEGRATED-STEREO-TUBE-AMPLIFIER-EL84-NR_W0QQitemZ130035007893QQihZ003QQcategoryZ3280QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

sitting on top for a compact rig.

Jun

• Members

Interesting!

It's Class A but I presume it's originally intended to be some sort of home hi-fi amp, particularly with those phono jack connectors?

I always worry about ordering from the far east as you hear about so many scams and cheap and nasty goods but they seem to have ok feedback - a few mutual withdrawals dotted here and there though.

• Members

Yeah it's definately a home HIFI amp but for about $150, it seems like a good deal.

Over 1100 transactions with 10 negatives isn't so bad.

It looks like there's enough roon to install 1/4" jacks instead of the RCA if need be.

I've never heard of a 6N3 tube though.

Jun

• Members

I just tried config 1 as described by Gorgon90...works really well gets a killer crunch sound...a little mettalic/robotic , but different and cool....sort of George Lynch meets Pink Floyd....the only drawback is that I was going into the board via the emulated speaker outs of the JMP-1....the only effects that I get is out my speakers now....emulated o/p only has dry signal....so I guess I'll have to mike my cabs from now on...unless?????

• Members

Originally posted by mlamarche

went back to config 2....warmer , more marshall sounding and I can use my emulated o/p's again....now if I could get rid of the high volume sqeal, it would be perfect....

The Quadraverb has a noise gate in it's preamp section which might help.

Alternatively, depending which algorithm you pick in the effects part of it, there are 3 band parametric, 5 band parametric and 11 band graphic eqs available that might help tame that.

Also what you said reminded me there's a 4th way to wire it.

4) Guitar into Quad GT > Quad GT FX loop out into JMP-1 input > JMP-1 fx outputs (one of) into Quad FX loop return > Quad outputs into JMP-1 fx returns > JMP-1 outputs to power amp or emulated to desk.

This gets all the Quad effects in line before the JMP-1 emulated outputs I believe.

Note: also note correction to 3) above.

• Members

Thanks Gorgon90....as I said before, you know your stuff....The noise gate does help...I've tried to mess with the eq's but that part of it is soooo complicated....I'll have to give config 4 a shot..I noticed that if I o/p to the power amp from the Marshall, it sound warmer and less robotic than from the quad gt...fyi, I use a Jimmy Page Les Paul for tuned flat stuff and a Jeff Beck start that I modded with a Screamin Demon Humbucker at the bridge...the sqeal is equal on both...so I know its a loudness/proximity thing that right now is tough to get around....as you know, we have to keep up with the drums and at that level I get sqeal...thanks for all you help....

Archived