Rocktron Prophesy vs. the Voodu Valve

• Members

Hey everyone. I recently purchased a Rocktron Prophesy (NOT the Prophesy II) in order to get ambitious with my tone...I play progressive rock/metal so I need something very versatile and Rocktron has always done me well (used to use a Chameleon 2000, but wanted an upgrade in tone). This unit sounds good but for some reason I feel that it doesn't sound as good as it should...I have toyed with EQ for two weeks and gotten close to a good sound, but it seems like there is something missing from the picture...seems that the highs are not very warm or smooth no matter how I play with the EQ. I have NEVER heard anything bad about this unit so I figure something has gotta be up.

FIRST QUESTION: Does the one preamp tube make a large difference in tone...since I got this unit used, I am thinking of changing out the tube. What tube will give a great crunchy tone with smoothed out highs? Will changing the tube at all even help?

SECOND QUESTION: I was also considering buying the Voodu Valve ('95 original model), but got the prophesy instead. What are your opinions on the Voodu Valve as compared to the Prophesy???

• Members

What are you using for a power amp and speaker cab?

I have an old Chameleon and when I run it through my friend's Carvin T-100 with EL34's it sounds very different than when I run it through my Peavey Classic 120 with 6L6's. It sounds like, though your spending a lot of tweaking and still not getting the sound you like, then maybe you should consider a tube change.

I had a Hughes and Kettner Tubeman preamp once and it had a 12ax7 tube in it and I swapped it out for a NOS Mullard 12at7 which is a lower gain tube and it made a noticible difference in the sound. However, I am not sure that switching to a different brand 12ax7 would have made much difference.

• Members

I'm currently playing the prophesy through a Mesa Boogie 2:90 which runs into a Randall 4X12 loaded with Jaguar speakers. However, I think that the problem is in the Prophesy because when I listen to the unit directly, I can still hear that I don't have my sound. Which preamp tube what sound really good? I want to experiment with this. Maybe I will branch out from the 12ax7 but will this damage the unit?

has anybody used the voodu valve? What is it like as compared to the prophesy sound wise?

• Members

I have used a voodoo valve for about 2 years. The other guitarist in my band has a prophesy. He is midi illiterate so I program for him. I like the voodoo valve better. The prophesy does not seem to have as much gain available. There is still plenty but the voodoo valve has more. The EQ is also much more difficult to dial in for some reason. I like the Variac setting on the voodoo valve and wish that was available on the prophesy. All that makes me think the voodoo valve is a much better deal than the prophesy which seems to cater a bit to the people who just want to turn the knobs on the front panel rather than learn to edit they're own patches. Its an expensive luxury.

• Members

It is an old one with the witch doctor on it. It's the only one I ever tried. I wonder if the same is true of the prophesy preamps. from what I can tell the prophesy 2 with the mustaine presets is okay, but nothing special. I have heard great things about the progap. I want to try one of those.

• Members

I have the original Prophesy, I think from 98, and it rocks. Your guys input has been helpful...but I worked on my tone for about 3 hours the other day determined to get something awesome out of it and I did!! It sounds great...very warm and thick. I play a Jackson Dinky Professional into the Prophesy with a JJ 12ax7 tube, then into a mesa boogie 2:90 into a Randall 4x12 with Jaguar speakers and it cooks!! Maybe I'll try the voodu valve sometime, but at the moment im happy. The key: the Post EQ

Archived