Rack loop switcher: Help me choose one!

Cirrus

• Members

At the moment I've got a GCX but truthfully I'm not totally happy with it for a few reasons;

- I'm using it with a Rocktron All Access, and I find the lack of program change options limiting as a result.

- The buffer feels a little stiff.

- It exhibits some strange behaviour - for example when my OCD is in a loop, unity gain is very high up the volume knob's travel, much higher than when it's just between two pedals. Overdrives also sound a bit more fizzy and thin. Could well be related to the buffer.

- Twice in the last month at gigs, it's randomly stopped responding - the LED lights go off, turning it off and on doesn't initialise it, but it continues to phantom power the All Access through the MIDI cable so it is receiving power. Strange it only happens on stage and not during the countless hours of personal and band practice it's used for, but there we go.:rolleyes:

There's not a lot of alternatives in this field - I can't afford the Strymon or CAE switchers, so I think that pretty much limits me to the Rocktron Patchmate loop 8, or the RJM Effect Gizmo (or RG-16, but I don't need the amp function switches). So my question to you guys is, what would you suggest? The Rocktron is cheaper, and obviously there's something nice about using a Rocktron switcher with a Rocktron controller, but on the other hand it's so similar in design, function and price to the GCX I can't help but worry I'm going to have the same issues with it.

Any thoughts you guys could weigh in with would be really appreciated. :thu:

• Members

Have you tried just plugging in your signal right into the first loops input to bypass the buffer? Thats how i use mine.. I do use an outboard buffer though, its right at the end of a small chain of pedals i have on the floor. Works like a charm :thu:

I've heard good things about the RG16 switcher, but i have never used one :idk:

• Members

Yeah, I tried that, and using the link through which also does too. The downsides are possibly too great in terms of dull tone. Also, I got an RJM gizmo in the post today, and my albeit honeymoon review is this: it's better.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Archived