Help me choose - Yamaha SPX90 or Rocktron Intellifex

• Members

Help me decide AF !!

Just got suggested to check out or buy the Intellifex

5150 Green Channel with Rack in loop.

Delay/Reverb for 80's lead tone

Can you run different effects together on these units?

Halford

• Members

The SPX90 is more a "one trick at a time" pony - it does great delays, and the Symphonic patch is cool for clean 80's LA sounds. But the Intellifex can do pitch shift (try +10cents to the left, -10 cents to the right for that wide Landau type lead sound), delay and reverb at the same time. And as long as you don't use the blocks where the internal Hush noise reduction is active, the dry signal is kept analog throughout the box - even though it was close to 20 years ago, I distinctly remember that bit making quite a difference when moving from the Quadraverb :)

• Members

I got a version of the Yamaha. I agree its a one trick pony. Its got nice choruses, reverbs and echos but the drive settings are absolutely awful.

Its old technology and noisy to boot in comparison to newer units. Most newer units are 24 bits.

I doubt the effects in the yamaha are more than 8~12 bits which wouldnt be too bad, but the units output isnt all that strong either.

Its passable recording live if you throw it in a preamps effects loop. I have an older boss rack preamp and can dial in some decent tones using its echo but the rest?

If you can pick it up for less than $50 I'd say fine, but no more. Theres just too many other good units.

I havent used that particular rocktron unit. I do have others. The main weakness with them is the pots. They arent all that great and when they start getting scratchey, they need

to be replaced. They are sealed pots so you cant clean them.

• 1 month later...

Archived