xlr to board issue help

• Members

Hey all,.I copy/pasted this from the Digi forum as alot of people don't frequent it nearly as much, and desperate for help..(Warning* You may see it appear on other forums too!! haha)

I hope I'm making a simple error here because it's getting beyond frustration now and I'm ready to smash the GSP..

Our band is working our way towards using an in-ear monitoring system for rehearsing and the occasional smaller gigs that won't allow the blaring 4x12's

My issue lies in the signal being sent to the Allen&Heath board being a distorted,farty mess....

I am using beta C63, and I may have just hit a wrong tweak HOPEFULLY.

Both our guitar player and bass player are using the same setup as I am now, with the other guitarist(C48) using a JMP-1 with great results.

I've tried it using my JSX in 4cable method, and now due to a fly in gig I'm "downsizing" the rig using my ADA MP-1(less gear to travel) as the tone center...with horrible results...Dist,thin farty.

Is there anyone with similar setups that can share their I/O setup or anything that may have an impact on this?...I'm ASSUMING it's an issue with the preamp loop, because if I am using GSP ONLY to the board it's fine.

I'd just love to have the tone of outboard preamps and not be limited to the GSP models only in this situation.

Many Many thanks in advance!!

• Members

As this setup stands at this time,

Guitar > Morpheus Droptune (only depends if we do Crue stuff) > GSP input, loop send >ADA MP-1 input, ADA MP-1 out > GSP loop return,GSP line out > Peavey 50/50 Classic Power amp > to Marshall 4x12.

I flip flop between this type of setup or using a Peavey JSX in 4cm.

Everything sounds fine coming out of the cabinet,.only when sent to board it too hot and distorted.

• Members

Well I went to reheasal spot to tinker and I think I have it passable.

Silly answer is,.I don't know what I did. Yes it is indeed the 1101,didn't realise I ommitted that.

For one, the obvious first place to look was the pad switch on the back, and yes it was set too hot.

Yet, it still didn't clean it up entirely. Through the in-ears it was hissing with noise(like the gate was absent) so I ran the setup wizard again for 6/7..result, same.

I double checked the low pass filter was on for the cab model(I'm using the Sneap Edge I.R) and it was for all patches...same noisy result.

I run a simple patch layout using 5-mode with stompbox switchable.

Bank #1 (1-5) would be optimised for use with my JSX or Marshall Jubillee in 4cm.

Bank #2(6-10) is for my ADA MP-1 in preamp loop setup.

Bank#3(11-15) is for the ADA MP-1/Mesa Studio Pre/Axess GRX4 setup

Bank#4(16-20) is GSP1101 only.

So depending on what "rig" I choose to use, it's a matter of switching a couple cables,run the wizard and away I go. All effects are set the same for all patches, so depending on the outboard preamp/amp I'm using that's where my tonal differences come from.

I know you are all saying wtf does that have to do with the problem?..I don't know either. What I do know is I decided to flip though my other banks,going from my #6 to the JSX/Marshall patches(1-5) and back to the ADA MP-1(6-10)..and somehow it fixed itself.

Noise was gone,the ADA is non existent noise wise,no hum, hiss nothing. So I froze,..told myself don't touch a damn thing.

I can't explain it, it works fine now. Mind you it still sounds cardboard like through the in-ears,but that the nature of the ear buds. But the squeeling,hiss,farty mess is gone.

Weird.

Archived