Collapse

X
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by stilwel

V1 is for the clean channels

V2 is for the OD channels

I put the EH tubes in both channels. The EH tubes darkened everything up a bit. So I may search for a brighter tube to put in the clean channel, but so far I like the EH in the OD channels. It would be cool to have 2 different tubes in there that accentuate the qualities of both channels. Who knows, I may end up putting the stock marshall ECC83 back in for the clean channel???

jason

hmmm. well, I definately expected it to darken it a little, cos the stock tubes often seem a little harsh in the midrange. The highs always sound kinda fuzzy aswell - bit without my 20/20 I'm still running it through an ancient FAL Kestrel solid state amp that a friend of a friend found on a skip... so any tonal traits can't really be trusted at this stage...

but would you say that the new tubes have improved what I mentioned above? It'll be interesting with the JJs too, cos a lot of people complain that their preamp tubes are too dark...

Comment

Originally posted by sp_spaceboy

hmmm. well, I definately expected it to darken it a little, cos the stock tubes often seem a little harsh in the midrange. The highs always sound kinda fuzzy aswell - bit without my 20/20 I'm still running it through an ancient FAL Kestrel solid state amp that a friend of a friend found on a skip... so any tonal traits can't really be trusted at this stage...

but would you say that the new tubes have improved what I mentioned above? It'll be interesting with the JJs too, cos a lot of people complain that their preamp tubes are too dark...

I would say that the new EH tubes were definitely an improvement. The high-mid fuzz is gone. Very smooth sounding now.

I'm actually running my JMP-1 through a Marshall VS8008 solid-state power amp. I just don't trust a tube power amp in a live setting. I've seen too many bands lose a guitar player mid-song. That and I like to be able to carry my rack with one hand, not 2 people. I'm sure the Mesa 20/20 and the Marshall EL34 amps sound fantastic, but i can't justify that expense, or the weight when my rig sounds great as it is.

jason
      stilwel

Comment

Hey Drift I understand your point but just keep in mind stilwel says he is an electrical engineer as a way to add credibiltiy to his point even though he knew he was wrong about a pretty basic concept-then tries to say "well what I really meant was.....". He opened himself up for a lil abuse

I'm not saying I was wrong. Running tubes in parallel would imply they are both at least in the same circuit and being driven at the same time. But as I said before one tube is in the OD channel, the other is in the clean channel. That's hardly in parallel. Putting your speakers in parallel doesn't mean you're only using one at a time does it?

Each tube has 2 stages to it. The way the tubes are used in the JMP-1 circuit places these 2 stages in series with one another. There is nothing parallel about it at all.

jason
        stilwel

Comment

Originally posted by BillyCorgan
          Mine responds like a tube amp when my power amp is cranked on stage. It sounds so much better than my friend's modded JCM 800 and it's 10000000 times more versatile. I don't care if it's "all tube" or not. I like it and people compliment my tone. Marshall must've done something right to have so many famous people using the unit.

What famous people? No artist that demands an aggressive rock/metal tone uses one. Even your god BC uses a Diezel now.

The only rock figure using them was Stephen C from the Dedtones and it was fine for the simple chunk crap that comprises thier music.But he uses KranK amps now

BTW people use to compliment me on my Peavey Bravo's tone lol

Comment

Originally posted by Soldano67

What famous people? No artist that demands an aggressive rock/metal tone uses one. Even your god BC uses a Diezel now.

The only rock figure using them was Stephen C from the Dedtones and it was fine for the simple chunk crap that comprises thier music.But he uses KranK amps now

BTW people use to compliment me on my Peavey Bravo's tone lol

Deftones
            Billy and James from the Pumpkins
            All 3 guys in Iron Maiden
            Billy Gibbons
            Kirk Hammet
            Jerry Horton from Papa Roach

John 5 of Marilyn Manson has this to say about the JMP-1 in the latest issue of Marshall Law:
            "If there's a professional musician out there that has the money, go out and get the EL34 100/100 and the JMP-1 because it WILL change everything. It will change the way a player plays because they sound so good. I wish I could go back in time and use those on all my sessions!"

...and this is a guy who has done 100's of sessions for pop, rock, metal and country artists.

If it's good enough for them.....

And you can't use the argument that they don't use them anymore. You and I both know that guitar players tastes change. Especially Krank, those guys are just looking for a way into the market so they are giving them away to anyone who will play them.

Jason
            stilwel

Comment

Each tube has 2 stages to it. The way the tubes are used in the JMP-1 circuit places these 2 stages in series with one another. There is nothing parallel about it at all.

jason

AGAIN THIS WAS NEVER THE POINT OR THE ARGUMENT AIRHEAD

The 12 ax7 has already been identified as a dual triode at least 3 times in this thread why the **************** do you bother saying it over and over and over and over and over?? nobody missed the point you said later that the single tubes run their triodes in series which wasnt relevant to the point in the first place jeezuz stfu!

Are you on ****************ing drugz? I wasnt talking about the single tubes function dip**************** I've made that quite clear.

THE TUBES DO NOT CASCADE IN SERIES IN RELATION TO EACH OTHER YOU DUMB STOOPID MUTHER****************ER

THEY RUN INDEPENDANTLY PARALLEL TO EACH OTHER IN THE CIRCUIT.

Honestly you might be a ee but your reading comprehension leaves alot to be desired.

Comment

I'm not saying I was wrong. Running tubes in parallel would imply they are both at least in the same circuit and being driven at the same time. But as I said before one tube is in the OD channel, the other is in the clean channel. That's hardly in parallel. Putting your speakers in parallel doesn't mean you're only using one at a time does it?
                jason

You dont have to say your wrong I did and you are.

we already well understand what tubes are alloted to what channel its not a point of contention and it certainly isnt helping your argument or helping you see the point.

What you keep missing is the fact amps dont have thier tubes configured the way the JMP-1 does in order for a dedicated preamp to act like a preamp in an amp the tubes must cascade into each other in a series fashion or you cant attain smooth all tube clipping.This is the most important point of distinction for a product claiming to be a tube preamp.

Sure the word parallel could be used in 2 ways here but I've already explained which meaning that is relative to the discussion.

Comment

The guy from Fear Factory uses one now. Tell me that's not aggressive.
                  New song "Winnie Cooper" by Leave Her Crying! Only $0.99!
                  http://www.cdbaby.com/cd/leavehercrying

Great HC Transactions - Erock503, Rat83, JimAnsell

Comment

Deftones
                    Billy and James from the Pumpkins
                    All 3 guys in Iron Maiden
                    Billy Gibbons
                    Kirk Hammet
                    Jerry Horton from Papa Roach

Deftones sound sux

Splashing Dumpkins sound sux

Live Iron maiden tones sux

Billy Gibbons best tones dont use the JMP-1 its only used for the modern processed sounds which suck

99.99% of Kirks Tones are Mesa,Marshall,ADA MP-1w/tube screamer

PaPA Roach sux I mean who? where are they now??

Only 3 bands on your list qualify as true(stage and studio) users of the JMP-1 and thier sound sux: Deftones,Papa Roach,Splashing Dumpkins.

Comment

The guy from Fear Factory uses one now. Tell me that's not aggressive.

Billy you know only Dino's stolen/destroyed modified JCM 800 was the only amp that had the most crushing tone.

comedy relief I suppose eh?

Comment

wow......i havent been to this board in a long time. (i left because of all the idotic post whores)....and when i come back its still the same soldildo **************************** slaggin the JMP-1. who cares what this imbosile thinks .if you guys like it go with it.hey soldildo get a life.if you dont like something dont use it and move on .....you have some serious issues buddy...who really gives a **************** if this thing has a diode here or there .you are an argumentitive ****************************.....post all you like,i wont be back to read it...g'bye dick head.

Comment

I was able to swap the Electro Harmonix tubes out for a set of JJ's ECC83S's today.

The EH tubes were a huge improvement over the stock ECC83's that came in the JMP-1, but I think the JJ's sound a tad bit better than the EH tubes.

It's a subtle difference, but the JJ's had a slightly smoother upper-midrange that was nice. And the lows, though good on the EH tubes, aren't quite as muddy sounding with the JJ's.

The EH tubes are good, JJ's are better.

This is all my opinion of course. 12AX7's are cheap so buy a set of each and judge for yourself.

I got my JJ's here: http://www.tubesandmore.com

Try here as well: http://www.thetubestore.com

jason
                          stilwel

Comment

Originally posted by slyder
                            wow......i havent been to this board in a long time. (i left because of all the idotic post whores)....and when i come back its still the same soldildo **************************** slaggin the JMP-1. who cares what this imbosile thinks .if you guys like it go with it.hey soldildo get a life.if you dont like something dont use it and move on .....you have some serious issues buddy...who really gives a **************** if this thing has a diode here or there .you are an argumentitive ****************************.....post all you like,i wont be back to read it...g'bye dick head.

Actually its quite significant and stilwel wanted to play games instead of just agreeing that the tubes dont run series into each other like 99% of the guitar amps on the planet.Which is detrimental to tone.

Place your hostility on stilwel.

Nobody asked you to join in you imbecile so run along troll

Comment

What's the point in bashing a preamp anyways? It's not like it will change my mind or anyone else's mind that can get good sounds out of it.
                              Have fun making other people mad though. I'm the king of trolling in Starseige Tribes. It doesn't work very well on me.
                              New song "Winnie Cooper" by Leave Her Crying! Only $0.99!
                              http://www.cdbaby.com/cd/leavehercrying

Great HC Transactions - Erock503, Rat83, JimAnsell

Comment

What's the point in bashing a preamp anyways? It's not like it will change my mind or anyone else's mind that can get good sounds out of it.
                                Have fun making other people mad though. I'm the king of trolling in Starseige Tribes. It doesn't work very well on me.

I'm certainly not trying to make anybody mad.I'm having fun i like bashing the JMP-1 it deserves to be bashed its a fraud.

I think most people dont know that thier JMP-1 is more SS than it is tube but Marshall markets it as a tube preamp though he should call it a "hybrid" but in reality its a SS device with a couple of tubes that acts as signal buffers.

Guys like stilwel are incidental.Jason just couldnt see the point at all and got caught in semantics.Coming off pretentious and not being objective will tend to get bring a little heat in his direction.

Some people like the sound of a Metal Zone some dont.You have a JMP-1 as your midi preamp primarily cause you like the Pumpkins sound and probably you havent tried better gear or cant afford it.You dont need a JMP-1 to get Billys sound anyways its far from being unique like say in example James Hetfields sound.

Comment

Working...
                                X