What kind of cable to use from a power amp to cab ?

No self-respecting engineer worthy of the name would ever say such a thing. I'm not doubting you AJ... I'm just questioning the guy's knowledge level.

Using a guitar cable as a speaker cable is a very bad idea. Shielding doesn't do you any good in that application, and the wire used in a standard guitar cable is typically too thin to be used safely for that purpose. Hit it with the kind of current a power amp creates and it could easily melt and short out - and that risks wiping out your amp along with it.

The AWG 22-24 center conductor wire of the typical guitar cable is way too thin to safely use as speaker wire, and is way too under-spec'd for that - instead you should be using speaker cables, which are unshielded and low impedance, and have much stouter conductors - typically somewhere in the AWG 12-16 range.

There is NO advantage to using guitar cables as speaker cables, and it should be avoided at all costs since it risks damaging the amplifier.

• Members
No self-respecting engineer worthy of the name would ever say such a thing. I'm not doubting you AJ... I'm just questioning the guy's knowledge level.

Using a guitar cable as a speaker cable is a very bad idea. Shielding doesn't do you any good in that application, and the wire used in a standard guitar cable is typically too thin to be used safely for that purpose. Hit it with the kind of current a power amp creates and it could easily melt and short out - and that risks wiping out your amp along with it.

The AWG 22-24 center conductor wire of the typical guitar cable is way too thin to safely use as speaker wire, and is way too under-spec'd for that - instead you should be using speaker cables, which are unshielded and low impedance, and have much stouter conductors - typically somewhere in the AWG 12-16 range.

There is NO advantage to using guitar cables as speaker cables, and it should be avoided at all costs since it risks damaging the amplifier.

Yeah, what he said.

• Members

Guitar pickups generate very little current and maybe 1VAC with a hot wound pickup. The insulation inside the cable is designed to carry these low voltages and shield them from electrical interference.

When you use them to connect a cab and head you're going to cook them with that high wattage. Guitar cables are designed to be oxygen free. When you use them for speaker apps, the insulation will heat up and if it doesn't short out it will let oxygen in. This causes the copper in the wire to tarnish/oxidize. The symptom is a crackly cord making sparking sounds like static electricity when its connected to an amp moved around. The cord may also become microphonic where you can actually hear the cord when you kick it and drag it around on the floor.

If you make your own cords use at least 18 gauge zip cord for amps under 100W. Household extension cords work well for this and can be bought at dollar stores for a buck, or you can buy it in rolls http://www.build.com/christmas-at-winterland-zipcord-500-18g-2/s793568?uid=2045260&source=gg-gba-pla_2045260____37323748399&s_kwcid=PTC!pla!!!113956901119!g!!37323748399!&gclid=CLnR94b-_8MCFZKGaQodf5YAfQ

For higher wattage PA stuff you're probably better off buying speaker cords. I have made them from those Orange extension cords like this. http://www.homedepot.com/p/HDX-100-ft-16-3-Extension-Cord-HD-277-525/100650619?MERCH=RV-_-rv_nav_plp_rr-_-NA-_-100650619-_-N This one is 16 gauge and can handle up to 1200W. It can be cut in half for 50' cords (the maximum length you'd want for speaker cabs) or into 25' 1/4 length. If you have higher wattage PA then you should use at least 12 gauge which can handle up to 1800w http://www.homedepot.com/p/Husky-50-ft-12-3-SJTW-Extension-Cord-with-Standard-Plug-747-123050H31/205377752?MERCH=RV-_-rv_nav_plp_rr-_-NA-_-205377752-_-N

You also have to use some heavy duty jacks that have caps that will fit the heavy gauge wire. Speak on connectors have become more popular and work very well.

• 3 weeks later...
  • Members

IIR, I read somewhere that copper is preferred over aluminum. The wire should twist, but not be shielded. Longer runs require thicker gauge.

I like to keep mine short as possible because that shi# is heavy. I took one 50ft run and split it 1/3 and 2/3 or so since my mixer is never in the middle of the stage. I have used those orange power cords for speaker wire in the house for long runs (speakers speakers everywhere!!!), it does work well. But when an electrician shows up at the house for unrelated work, be sure to explain to him/her what you're doing or they'll really have a heart attack.

Archived