CHEAP experimental lighting ideas (for garageish type bands)

anonimouse

• Members

I just wanted to see if anyone had any ideas about really cheap lighting and effects for very small scale shows. I'm talking playing peoples garages n stuff like that. I've done this a coulple times with my noise band and these are some things we've done: the overhead projector with the coloured liquid thing (cant find coloured oil), slide projector with really weird random slides, film strip projector with drug/music/educational/etc film strips, sound sensitive Christmas lights, black lighting, multiple tv's with weird videos (how to judge a poodle at a dog show, home videos i bought in a thrift store) or just snow (and magnets to mess the tv's up with), strobe lights, film loops, candles, just plain coloured lightbulbs, dry ice/fog machine, computers running weird/funny/disturbing movie loops, and i think we used an infinity mirror too. Anyway if you've read this far I'm sure you see what I'm getting at. Things you can do with relatively cheap stuff or just stuff you have around the house. I'm looking for any other ideas any of you might have. Things you've done, heard of, thought of, whatever. I'm sure theres something missing from this list that one of you could add.

• Members

Man, you seem to have all the ideas there. You could do all sorts with that sort of setup although a lot of it may only work the best in smaller venues in my experience... I would have to see it.. Sounds interesting though...!

Steve...R

• Members

When my band decided we needed to add some color - we looked at the par cans available and thought to ourselves - jesus that's a lot of money especially if you want more than just a couple of lights - so I went on a trek to my local Menards and Home Depot stores. What I found was interesting and alot cheaper than par cans - they're lights for recessing into a suspended ceiling. They were silver in color and sort of resembled par cams and sold for like $8 apiece.

I then bought some gel paper from a local theatrical supply ($5 per colored sheet - enough to cover like 6 lights), then we wanted to build an overhead frame to connect to our light stands that are to the far left and right of the stage - to hang our banner on, and to be able to add more lights to later....I discovered 1 1/2 inch and 2 inch electrical conduit pipe. Very cheap - like $6 for a 10-foot length. And of course you have a wide array of connectors available as well. I ended up using some steel wool to shine up the piping's finish and it looks great up there. It looks like shiny stainless steel, it's very lightweight and easy to put together, and it's cheap! Hope that helps! Rev

• Members

I had to make some light banks once for a small church with little money. As I recall, I bought 1/4" plywood, 2x2 pine lumber, swivel lamp holders and made four boxes about 12" x 72" x 4" with six fixtures on each box and handles to carry them. I used regular 110V receptacles and had them on the ends of the boxes and used outdoor extension cords with male plugs on both ends to connect them to a metal control panel that I got from Radio Shack for around $15, and installed dimmers in it to control the lights. We used regular 150W floods in the fixtures and it is still being used by that church, eighteen years later.

Hey, it works!

------------------

Banta

banta@citynet.net

Archived