Basic unmanned ligts

flanc

• Members

I'm putting together a new band that will gig out in a couple of months. We are aiming to play the small/medium clubs that are prevelent in our are. Some have their own lighting, most don't. What basic lighting do I need and how can it be set to run with minimal interaction. Do I get some faders and bring them up to an acceptable level and dim them on breaks. I don't think I want to much crazy automatic stuff going off all the time, but it would be nice to have subtle changes happen at appropriate times. I'm sure you can get fancy automatice controllers, but again, I'm on a LOW budget here and I'm putting together the PA as well.

Oh..we are a 5 piece rock/pop cover band.

Thanks for any help!

Frank

• Members

I think the best thing for you to get would be something like the yorkville floorboard and lights. The floorboard is super easy to use. You can setup 6 diffrent sceans in to it. You just Press the buttons to change the sceans.

I used it and I hated it because it wasn't compatiable with our big lighting rig. The boss said that the venue was going to provide two trees of front lighting. When I got there the turned out that the trees were yorkville with built in dimmers than didn't work with the rest of our gear. So I had to use two diffrent boards to control lights and to make things worse the yorkville board has knobs not faders that make the board a pain to use on the fly when doing lights for many diffrent bands.

All that said it makes a great floorboard if you have time to program in a few sceans for your band and need todo simple scean changes. Its dead simple, there are no jumpers to set and its easy to use. Unlike my big rig where I have to set jumpers on the dimmers and sort threw a 24/48 channel computer based console.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • Members

I'm in the same boat. I have a small combo with very good sound but no lights. I need stuff that draws a very minimum of juice, gets a very classy if very simple effect, and takes up a minimum of transportation space. I'm thinking red and purple gels or something. My hunch is to keep it super simple and not even try to impress anyone with it, just provide some focus and color.

I'm pretty green on what is out there and what it costs, but a few thousand dollars could be a rough budget.

Any great ideas?

Ted

Archived